TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
February 17, 2020, 08:21:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trad Arrr  (Read 1545 times)
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« on: December 18, 2019, 04:49:53 PM »

Decided to investigate this lot via YouTube (yes I know I'm slow - missed their debut at Croppers). So far my verdict would be about 50% of tracks excellent, 50% ok but heard it all before via the Albions etc etc. There's surprisingly little comment on this board, so I was hoping to stir some up...ÖÖ.  Smiley
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 04:53:25 PM »

At their very best live.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
wayne stote

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 04:59:24 PM »

I like them a lot. Both albums are excellent. Haven't had the chance to experience their live show as yet but looking forward to catching them at some point.

mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 08:58:04 AM »

Albums are good and I'd have my % split around 70/30 (excellent/heard before) but they really come into their own live. Go and see them when you get the chance you won't be disappointed.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 06:32:37 PM »

Fabulous band , love em.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 06:39:00 PM »

I think at least part of their appeal is that some of what they do has been done before but nobody else is doing it now. They are popular here (me included) for filling a gap vacated by others
StephenB
something about the grinding beat

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

Some boy to be one boy - I should have been twins

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 07:00:49 PM »

put simply, they do folk rock   Tiara

If I could be any animal I wanted...
there'd be something really heavy going on.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 08:39:09 PM »

TradArr...  they are the best, I love them!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 08:40:09 PM »

I think at least part of their appeal is that some of what they do has been done before but nobody else is doing it now. They are popular here (me included) for filling a gap vacated by others

Carefully chosen words....

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 12:04:07 AM »

I like them a lot. Both albums are excellent. Haven't had the chance to experience their live show as yet but looking forward to catching them at some point.

Thereís a live album as well.  Also excellent.  It has a pretty strong Fairport vibe.

I guess the reason they donít get more comment is because they donít perform that many gigs.  Some of them have Ďproper jobsí as well.  I understand Guy runs a music course, for example.
wayne stote

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 12:17:47 AM »

Thereís a live album as well. †Also excellent. †It has a pretty strong Fairport vibe.

I guess the reason they donít get more comment is because they donít perform that many gigs. †Some of them have Ďproper jobsí as well. †I understand Guy runs a music course, for example.

Didn't know about the live album. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check it out!
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 12:49:57 AM »

Thereís a live album as well. †Also excellent. †It has a pretty strong Fairport vibe.

I guess the reason they donít get more comment is because they donít perform that many gigs. †Some of them have Ďproper jobsí as well. †I understand Guy runs a music course, for example.

Didn't know about the live album. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check it out!

Iím not sure, but they may only sell it at gigs.  I picked mine up at Butlinís.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 11:09:57 AM »

Peggy commented to a member of this board at the pre Cropredy Trad Aaar gig that they aren't booked for the festival because those who like folk rock will come anyway!! Nothing like ignoring your core audience.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 11:19:52 AM »

Thanks very much, all. I shall definitely try to see them. It's certainly the case that a lot of current folk-rock bands have a relatively low-profile because they cannot afford to be full-time. It's true of Joshua Burnell, to whom you should definitely give a listen if you have not done so already. So Ö I guess this will be my last post before Christmas, so have a Very Merry One, Everybody  Smiley
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 11:43:39 AM »

Peggy commented to a member of this board at the pre Cropredy Trad Aaar gig that they aren't booked for the festival because those who like folk rock will come anyway!! Nothing like ignoring your core audience.

Very odd.  I always thought it was peculiarity of the highest order that the rebooted Albion Band never played there too.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2019, 12:42:14 PM »

Very odd. †I always thought it was peculiarity of the highest order that the rebooted Albion Band never played there too.

They may not have been around for long enough. 18 months or so? And never really found an audience, though I think their album was great.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2019, 02:54:03 PM »

Nearly three years....first album 2017....

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2019, 03:02:49 PM »

Nearly three years....first album 2017....

Al's talking about the Albions

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2019, 03:15:19 PM »

ahhhh, ok, thanks!

steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 09:23:37 PM »

Thanks very much, all. I shall definitely try to see them. It's certainly the case that a lot of current folk-rock bands have a relatively low-profile because they cannot afford to be full-time.

Haven't spoken to PJ for a while, but it may be that Trad Arrr are taking a rest as he, Mark and Marion, together with Mat Davies,Sally Barker and annA rydeR are touring several dates in spring and autumn as the Sandy Denny Project.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: