TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 17, 2021, 07:57:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The officially announced lineup  (Read 24629 times)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2019, 04:35:02 PM »

Having already seen the majority of the acts on the bill (with one announcement to come - Thursday headliner) Iím a little underwhelmed by the line-up. Needless to say Iíll still be there next year and will enjoy it (especially if we get decent weather for a change  Roll Eyes )

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2019, 04:47:29 PM »

Looks like a corking line up to me!

Outside of a dog, a book is a manís best friend. Inside of a dog, itís too dark to read.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2019, 04:51:42 PM »

Absolutely - well whelmed (to borrow the phrase) by that.  It was looking good already, but adding in Steve Hackett, Clannad and Trevor Horn will do me nicely!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Sue & Chris

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2019, 05:34:56 PM »

Having already seen the majority of the acts on the bill (with one announcement to come - Thursday headliner) Iím a little underwhelmed by the line-up. Needless to say Iíll still be there next year and will enjoy it (especially if we get decent weather for a change †Roll Eyes )

I don't think there are any more acts to come - the Fairport website states that it's the full line up. Presumably Hackett and Clannad will be the headliners?
vince42

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2019, 05:45:05 PM »

A truly excellent lineup - suits me perfectly.  Had intended to go see Steve Hackett next year in any case so I can save a couple of quid and have an extra pint in the field.  Several acts I know but haven't yet seen and as usual a few unknowns.

Not that the lineup makes much difference to me as I'd still be coming anyway, but it is nice to have something to look forward to...

Not Toyah wilcox at any rate - and yes I know she had happy fans on the day - just didn't do it for me!
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2019, 05:47:42 PM »

Still nothing on the website about Sat. So beyond the young folk award winner and RT's solo turn as well as the Full House lineup reunion it seems there will still be more to come.

Oh wait - scrolling that website seems to be broken when viewing on my machine, so there is likely more to be seen there.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2019, 05:57:04 PM »

Having already seen the majority of the acts on the bill (with one announcement to come - Thursday headliner) Iím a little underwhelmed by the line-up. Needless to say Iíll still be there next year and will enjoy it (especially if we get decent weather for a change †Roll Eyes )

I don't think there are any more acts to come - the Fairport website states that it's the full line up. Presumably Hackett and Clannad will be the headliners?

Yes think youíre right. I was just hoping the earlier press announcement was right indicating the Thursday headliner was still to come but looks like Clannad and Hackett will be the headline names on the Thursday and Friday

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2019, 06:35:40 PM »

From the website:

Who is playing this year?
THURSDAY 13 AUGUST

The Trevor Horn Band

Clannad

Edward II

Thumping Tommys

Fairport Convention Acoustic

FRIDAY 14 AUGUST

Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited

Turin Brakes

Sharon Shannon

Slambovian Circus of Dreams

Martyn Joseph

Home Service

Emily Barker

Maddie Morris

SATURDAY 15 AUGUST

Fairport Convention & Friends (inc Full House)

Richard Thompson

Matthews Southern Comfort

Rosalie Cunningham

The Bar Steward Sons Of Val Doonican

Holy Moly & The Crackers

Richard Digance

I think with the changes to camping announced last week along with the tier system that it is a good move to announce the entire lineup rather than the trickle down of recent years.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2019, 06:37:55 PM »

Also...with MSC, Richard acoustic, Full House AND the Fairport full set, this is one hell of a Fairport related Saturday

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2019, 06:43:36 PM »

Iíve been driving so Iíve only just seen the full line up. Itís fantastic! I think this will be my favourite Cropredy  ever  Grin Grin Grin very, very happy  Tiara

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2019, 06:44:45 PM »

Full House will be part of the full FC set, not in addition to it

RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2019, 06:51:10 PM »

Full House will be part of the full FC set, not in addition to it

Not what the announcement says Chris-

2020 sees the 50th anniversary of both the timeless Fairport album - Full House and Dave Peggís inauguration into the FC line-up. To celebrate, the original Full House band Ė Simon Nicol, Richard Thompson, Dave Mattacks and Dave Pegg (with Chris Leslie) will perform the album from start to finish on Saturday evening.

This will be followed by the regular Fairport and Friends marathon to close the festival

Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2019, 07:32:25 PM »

Brilliant line up. Very whelmed.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2019, 07:41:52 PM »

Great for me, save some dosh, Saturday only.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2019, 09:10:30 AM »

Whilst I like the line-up (mostly), Iím thinking that 2020 may well be my last Cropredy simply because with over 40% of the line-up (excluding RD and FC who play every year anyway) repeat performers at the festival and money getting tighter, Iíd rather choose who I go and see rather than the organisers simply hiring the same people Iíve already seen.

I know Iíll be accused of being churlish or whatever but there are many artists of all sorts of genres who havenít yet played the festival that could be booked rather than merely bringing back Ďold favesí so Iíd rather spend my money going to see them instead

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2019, 09:33:47 AM »

Whilst I like the line-up (mostly), Iím thinking that 2020 may well be my last Cropredy simply because with over 40% of the line-up (excluding RD and FC who play every year anyway) repeat performers at the festival and money getting tighter, Iíd rather choose who I go and see rather than the organisers simply hiring the same people Iíve already seen.

I know Iíll be accused of being churlish or whatever but there are many artists of all sorts of genres who havenít yet played the festival that could be booked rather than merely bringing back Ďold favesí so Iíd rather spend my money going to see them instead

You're not being churlish at all...just saying what you think.  Me, with this kind of lineup, am, I think, far more likely to be interested in going one more time (after a decade away, and following a quarter of a century attending).  In many ways this is the dilemma at the heart of the festival...traditionalists and modernists.  You're a (I think) 'just another festival with the best lineup' person, and I want a boring old Fairport and their mates bash - repeat to fade.  Horses, courses, and all that  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2019, 09:54:49 AM »

You're not being churlish at all...just saying what you think. †Me, with this kind of lineup, am, I think, far more likely to be interested in going one more time (after a decade away, and following a quarter of a century attending). †In many ways this is the dilemma at the heart of the festival...traditionalists and modernists. †You're a (I think) 'just another festival with the best lineup' person, and I want a boring old Fairport and their mates bash - repeat to fade. †Horses, courses, and all that †Smiley

Partly right David...yes I like the old Cropredy and the FC/mates bash but I also donít want to see acts come back so soon...the Bar Stewards were there in 2018 and Trevor Horn was there in 2017. What Iím trying to say is that there are many other acts (folk-based; Americana or whatever) around which could be booked instead. Just thinking that bringing back acts within 2 years will mean people are more likely to drift away (me) as theyíve seen these acts rather than attract or maintain the attendance

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2019, 12:09:23 PM »

Some people may choose to see something different true..
There's a lot of people saying Bar Stewards again...Yay ! or Trevor Horn again...Yay !
In previous years it was Albion Band again..Yay ! or Whippersnapper again..Yay !

Another sign of the changes.

Well I never did..
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2019, 03:10:58 PM »

It's a big thumbs up from me. There are the usual acts that I know nothing about and the ones that I absolutely love. There are also some acts that I can take or leave. On Saturday I might just arrive on the field in time for the hankie dance, which I like due to its extreme silliness. I may even buy a pre Christmas ticket

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Wandering Steve

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2019, 04:11:13 PM »

You're not being churlish at all...just saying what you think. †Me, with this kind of lineup, am, I think, far more likely to be interested in going one more time (after a decade away, and following a quarter of a century attending). †In many ways this is the dilemma at the heart of the festival...traditionalists and modernists. †You're a (I think) 'just another festival with the best lineup' person, and I want a boring old Fairport and their mates bash - repeat to fade. †Horses, courses, and all that †Smiley

Iím not trying to be a morbid old bugger here but the days of a fairport and their friends festival are fading.
Father Time carries on and the older acts will soon be no more...
Sad but true
That is why I actually like this line up
The one grumble is it may be a headline act short on quality(one could argue that the thurs/fri headliners have played cropredy before but werenít deemed headline material)
However it does have a nice balance of old time music for the fairport era attendees whilst realising that popular recent festival acts such as BSSOVD were well received last time round
Add to this what appear to be some very good new bands(the best on paper that Iíve seen at cropredy) and also a good varied mix
Reggae
Bluegrass
Americana
Itís worth remembering that links need to be made with these newer bands as they will be the future of the festival as older bands stop playing as age catches up.

To me this festival has got the balance spot on this year and although there is no headline act as such the overall quality looks very good...

From a personal point of view Iím chuffed the grand slambovians are playing
Amazing musicians and nice people too
I saw them at the stables mk earlier this year and asked them if theyíd consider playing the fringe at the brasenose...
I got their details and passed them to Pete Richards who tried to get them and thought he had....
I guess he mentioned it to Peggy and....
Gazumped !!! Grin

You are in for a treat if youíve never seen them
I can honestly say imo they are one of the best bands Iíve ever seen...,

How they havenít scaled greater heights is a mystery to me and anyone whose ever seen them Iím sure.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: