TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 21, 2020, 08:41:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2020 Chatter  (Read 34548 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Eardisley, Herefordshire

« Reply #240 on: March 29, 2020, 09:00:44 PM »

I've earlier gone on the record as stating I'd risk a quid on the festival going ahead.  After today, I think I'd put considerably more on there being no festivals held in the UK in 2020.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #241 on: March 29, 2020, 09:23:10 PM »

All festival organisers must be very worried...  I wish them well.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Wandering Steve

« Reply #242 on: March 29, 2020, 09:34:00 PM »

I was thinking, even if the government restrictions weren't still in place in August (which is highly debatable) the other thing to consider is the relationship with the residents of Cropredy. It would be strongly tested if thousands were to descend on the village after a period of 'lockdown'

Spot on Mick
Wandering Steve

« Reply #243 on: March 29, 2020, 09:36:34 PM »

I've earlier gone on the record as stating I'd risk a quid on the festival going ahead. †After today, I think I'd put considerably more on there being no festivals held in the UK in 2020.

We can square up at the bar in 2021 god willing david.

Iím in bed listening to richard Thompsonís live concert thatís on now so I can say Iíve seen him in concert in 2020
Itís really good and well worth a listen
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #244 on: March 30, 2020, 10:43:03 AM »

Sad as it would be, it would be quite possible to skip a year and not affect the financial viability of the festival. The problem is if they fork out thousands for the infrastructure then don't sell enough tickets to cover costs. If it doesn't go ahead there are no costs (other than maybe the odd non-returnable retainer).

There would be lots of admin to reissue tickets and I suppose you couldn't guarantee the same lineup, which would be a real shame, but that couldn't be helped.

I'm kinda resigned to it not going ahead now.  Sad

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #245 on: March 30, 2020, 12:16:41 PM »

I cannot see any fest happening this year. Things are too uncertain for people to plan.
We, personally, are locked down for 12 weeks, so early June?
Then what do you do , let all the people who are in isolation out to catch it?Huh? No.....so there must then be some ongoing self distancing regs going on, another 3 months...... and this thing will not be tamed til there is herd immunity , as long as the virus doesn't Morph, or there is a vaccine, 18 months away , then you have to administer it......so to keep me sane I am working on some form of social distancing for aleast 6 months. I would love to be proved wrong.
PhilipK

Loc: Hampshire, UK

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands!

« Reply #246 on: March 30, 2020, 01:51:52 PM »

I cannot see any fest happening this year. Things are too uncertain for people to plan.

I share your view.

There's also got to be a significant lead time to get acts/infrastructure/staff/camping/food/bar/security/sound/etc in place, so I expect that the "Go/No Go" decision will need to be made very soon, and I just can't see than anybody could decide that it's "Go" with what we currently know.

--
Philip
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #247 on: March 31, 2020, 10:08:11 AM »

Also I think we will see an on / off approach to isolating over the next few months, and bottom line is is the authorities continue to recommend over 70s to be extra careful then Fairport / RT / Steve Hackett / Jon Tams / Digance / Trevor Horne etc etc all fit in that category.

Which is interesting - a festival with all the headline acts being in their 70s must be unusual.

DW
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #248 on: March 31, 2020, 03:15:07 PM »

A significant proportion of ticket-holders would fall into the "higher-risk" category too, simply by nature of the demographics of the festival.
Chris J

« Reply #249 on: April 01, 2020, 06:46:53 PM »

It's been announced that the Edinburgh festival won't happen, and it should be in August, the same as Cropredy. Even if it went ahead I don't think I'd feel safe, so, cancel or not, I won't be going this year. Just sit tight, stay safe and look forward to Cropredy 2021. ;-)
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #250 on: April 12, 2020, 08:26:43 PM »

We, personally, are locked down for 12 weeks, so early June?
Then what do you do , let all the people who are in isolation out to catch it?Huh? No.....so there must then be some ongoing self distancing regs going on, another 3 months...... and this thing will not be tamed til there is herd immunity , as long as the virus doesn't Morph, or there is a vaccine, 18 months away , then you have to administer it......so to keep me sane I am working on some form of social distancing for aleast 6 months. I would love to be proved wrong.

spot on as usual, Hendo.
if you look at the magnitude of what has already been cancelled and i'm not talking about just festivals, we ain't going anywhere.
there's 3 mi had planned to work, 2 as a punter and my first holiday since 2001.  
even if we are not on lockdown i think most people will have been so conditioned by then that they won't want to risk it.  my grandchild is due september and i will avoid everyone and everything to ensure i don't have to be kept at a distance.

it's so, so sad but i know i'm not going anywhere until this is DONE

it'll be fine.......
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #251 on: August 17, 2020, 04:54:25 PM »

It is pretty usual for visits to Cropredy Festival to result in a bunch of CDs from newly discovered artists finding their way home with me.

Somehow however, even with the festival not taking place, new discs by the Slambovian Circus of Dreams and Rosalie Cunningham seem to have found their way into my house! Cropredy seems to manage to empty my wallet even when it doesn't happen.  Grin
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #252 on: October 13, 2020, 08:09:31 AM »

No doubt this has been mentioned elsewhere on this site but FCC has been granted £200,000 by the Culture Recovery Fund so next yearís festival should now be secure monetary-wise if nothing else!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #253 on: October 13, 2020, 10:19:19 AM »

No doubt this has been mentioned elsewhere on this site but FCC has been granted £200,000 by the Culture Recovery Fund so next yearís festival should now be secure monetary-wise if nothing else!
Yes I read that - great news. I really can't wait for Cropredy next year!!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #254 on: October 13, 2020, 11:07:11 AM »

Yes I read that - great news. I really can't wait for Cropredy next year!!

It's good news...  I miss it so much...  see you all there!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The Mosel Valley

« Reply #255 on: October 13, 2020, 01:06:19 PM »

Shrewsbury have just got 93,000 as well. (German keyboard has no pound sign without trawling through symbols Smiley)
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #256 on: October 13, 2020, 10:58:22 PM »

Do the sums. That's probably enough to provisionally book the equipment and staff, but it still needs a heap of commitment from people buying tickets.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #257 on: October 14, 2020, 08:50:23 AM »

Do the sums. That's probably enough to provisionally book the equipment and staff, but it still needs a heap of commitment from people buying tickets.

I don't understand the mechanics of how a band ;/ organisation like Fairport work but would for instance Ric, Chris and Gerry (as non directors of FC Ltd) have been able to be furloughed? Are they classed as employees or freelancers?

DW
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #258 on: October 14, 2020, 10:25:57 AM »

I don't understand the mechanics of how a band ;/ organisation like Fairport work but would for instance Ric, Chris and Gerry (as non directors of FC Ltd) have been able to be furloughed? Are they classed as employees or freelancers?

DW

Four members of FC will be receiving State Pension. Most of us in that position will not be having any earned income at all!!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #259 on: October 14, 2020, 04:18:25 PM »

Still retained my ticket from last year but, I guess from what you are saying is that the £200,000 grant will merely cover last yearís cancellation costs? If thatís the case, it means FCC 2021 wonít start off with a major loss to cover....guess Iíll soon be put right!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: