TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 09, 2019, 08:53:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2020 Chatter  (Read 6058 times)
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2019, 03:14:21 PM »

Before, there was a day and a half to turn up..you could get the field you wanted/needed if you got there early Thursday.
But there was no rush...you could take your time and still get the field you wanted.
If you turned up on Friday you might not have as much choice.
I still take my time, and I've been squeezed onto four if you like.
Now you have a seven hour window of opportunity, where before you had that and an extra day...so it's the primary problem, everybody is all squished into a smaller time frame, and now they have to compete. †Undecided

Well I never did..
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2019, 05:52:47 PM »

95% of Tier 1 tickets sold!

Chances theyíll be on Tier 2 tomorrow....

Chris
Global Moderator

« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2019, 05:56:49 PM »

Now Tier 1 all gone

Tier 2 just a fiver more

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2019, 06:39:00 PM »

How does it work if you posted a form yesterday with a cheque?

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Sue & Chris

« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2019, 06:44:53 PM »

Tickets bought, at Tier 2 prices, which I can't say I'm happy about. †The words 'forget it then' briefly crossed my mind, but then of course I wasn't about to break a 26 year streak. †I do wonder though whether the less committed shopper would be quite so sanguine at being charged £5 a ticket more than someone who managed to get online an hour earlier... †The keen Cropredy goers who always purchase early are surely not the target market if they want to increase attendance, and I'm not sure that charging some people a (presumably) £15 premium for buying later on is going to bring in those who are undecided. †
Wandering Steve

« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2019, 06:55:22 PM »

Iíd imagine itíll get sent back saying all tier one tickets are sold out.
Probably not what you wanted to hear but logical.
If tickets sell out in a day before your cheque arrives what other answer is there?
An unfortunate turn of events and perhaps with hindsight next year the organisers will not accept mail payment until tier two to stop it happening again.
I imagine they were just unprepared for the sheer amount of sales.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2019, 07:43:22 PM »

If tickets sell out in a day before your cheque arrives what other answer is there?
An unfortunate turn of events and perhaps with hindsight next year the organisers will not accept mail payment until tier two to stop it happening again.

Not me, and tbh I was surprised there was a cheque option, but I bet someone got caught that way.  Not being prepared....? Hmmm.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Chris J
n3wb

« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2019, 08:04:44 PM »

Angry So, how many tier 1 tickets do you reckon were available. It can't have been that many if they sell out in a day. I don't think the line up could cause any sort of frenzy. I've been attending Cropredy since 2004, and I know prices go up every year but it's gone from £340 for two of us, including camping, to £350 in the space of a day. I love Cropredy because of it's independence, it's the bands festival, and the fans festival returning year after year, but I'm not sure I like the way it's going now.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2019, 09:09:04 PM »

Two tickets bought last night at tier one prices even though Iím not 100% enamoured with the line-up as over 40% of the acts (even excluding Richards Thompson and Digance) have played the festival before Shocked so effectively paying nearly £60 for acts Iíve already seen at the festival
Ď

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Chris
Global Moderator

« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2019, 09:43:53 AM »

Not me, and tbh I was surprised there was a cheque option, but I bet someone got caught that way.  Not being prepared....? Hmmm.

Knowinjg FC, I suspect (& hope) that they'll honour postal requests postmarked the day they sold out of Tier 1 (and maybe the day after too), otherwise as you say, no point in accepting them until Tier 2 (possibly Tier 3 if Tier 2 sell out just as quickly)

But I do think they are dair....

barton cobbler

Loc: Earls Barton ,Northamptonshire

« Reply #130 on: December 04, 2019, 05:41:43 PM »

Angry So, how many tier 1 tickets do you reckon were available. It can't have been that many if they sell out in a day. I don't think the line up could cause any sort of frenzy. .

This is what makes this way of selling tickets SO BAD !!! † † Not saying they have, but what's to stop someone in FC Towers saying "OK lads do we fancy another fiver or tenner off each punter ? right just say all the Tier 1 tickets have gone" No one has any idea if 1000, 5000 or 10000 tickets were available at the "Early Bird" price, piss poor in my opinion and I've been to every Cropredy since the first on Crossman's lawn †Angry
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2019, 05:45:47 PM »

Use your heads, peoples.  It's to create momentum, and a sense that one needs to get in there and pronto.  It's 21st century end game capitalism.  Everybody's doing it, you know....  Wink Smiley Grin

barton cobbler

Loc: Earls Barton ,Northamptonshire

« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2019, 05:57:18 PM »

Use your heads, peoples. †It's to create momentum, and a sense that one needs to get in there and pronto. †It's 21st century end game capitalism. †Everybody's doing it, you know.... †Wink Smiley Grin

It creates momentum for 2 days !! Everyone knows it's not going to sell out so once you've missed the "bargains" you can sit back and consider if you can spend your money better else where.

StephenB
something about the grinding beat

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

Some boy to be one boy - I should have been twins

« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2019, 07:03:59 PM »

And those who got lucky can celebrate with a well-deserved pint (well, that's most of the saved fiver gone...)

If I could be any animal I wanted...
there'd be something really heavy going on.
Wandering Steve

« Reply #134 on: December 04, 2019, 08:35:58 PM »

Use your heads, peoples. †It's to create momentum, and a sense that one needs to get in there and pronto. †It's 21st century end game capitalism. †Everybody's doing it, you know.... †Wink Smiley Grin

It creates momentum for 2 days !! Everyone knows it's not going to sell out so once you've missed the "bargains" you can sit back and consider if you can spend your money better else where.
 † †

You know youíll be there though roger.
Itís only a fiver more....
Barely the price of a pint of fairport five!!
Everyone will know to book early next year if they want tier one tickets...
In fairness during the first day of sales the official FC site was updating the amount of sales(as itís been posted on here the highest ticket number was near on 8,000 from memory so probably 10,000 sold) as itís now on tier two.
A good lineup imo although probably a headline act short but on the other hand the best supporting acts for a long while and a great variation of music.
Tertonmike

Loc: Dublin

Still At It...

« Reply #135 on: December 05, 2019, 12:15:50 AM »

Missed the boat on Tier 1, as I was trying to confirm with my troops how many tickets we needed.  In the end, I went ahead on spec. and got 6 online on Tuesday evening at the Tier 2 price (so that's a grand in the festival coffers from us, including 2 camping stickers!).   5 are already spoken for so I probably won't be out of pocket.

OtOH, I was not best pleased at the lack of advance information as to the numbers of tickets available in each tranche OR what the price increase will be each time.  Even now, if we need more than the 6 already bought, we have no idea if the next order will be in Tier 2, 3 or 4; NOR how much extra we'll have to pay if they have moved on to Tier 3 or 4.  

Also - and I realise it's an independent operation and may be subject to space constraints - we were prepared to stump up for glamping but that sold out PDQ too.   If it was such a success this year, why not increase the number of posh tents for 2020?  Or were they all pre-booked/allocated to mates before Monday?

All that said, I like the line-up; and we are in the "we go every year because we like the vibe AND the unexpectedly good acts we've never heard of AND the Fringe AND the breakfasts in the Canoe Club (AND the dingbats) and the school and the village hall AND the beer AND the food, irrespective of who's on the bill OR the weather" camp.   So although our numbers vary from year to year, we'll keep coming as long as we are able, as we have done for 11 years now and counting.

On the camping arrangements, I don't understand how Field 8 operates and never have - although we ended up there one year and it was fine, before the ticketing and organisation went independent - but we never bother trying to arrive at sparrowfart on Thursday so we almost always end up somewhere in Field 7 and it's always perfectly OK.  For this reason the lack of 4-day camping doesn't really impact on us either (although I'd like to arrive earlier at least once just to see how the atmosphere builds up, so it'd be good if the option was restored).

I don't understand the compulsion to form middle-of-the-night convoys and try to get a pitch within 6 inches of last year's position.  We have (a lot) further to come than most people and we find that, if you just chill out and take what's on offer when you arrive, you enjoy the whole experience more!   (Mind you, we were at the windward end of a row in 7b this year and the storm finally did for our 10-year old tent on Saturday night.  But it was a cheap one to start with and it didn't owe us anything by then so hey-ho - shiny new nylon in 2020 I guess!)

Roll on August!

"Music is the antidote
To the world of pain and sorrow"
Tertonmike

Loc: Dublin

Still At It...

« Reply #136 on: December 05, 2019, 12:20:18 AM »

Seems worthwhile to mention something Peggy and Simon have both said many the time which is the first year the festival operates at a loss that would likely be the end of it. Even if its not a complete loss, there obviously has to be some trimming. Same as it happens in any business. And the festival is a business. In a business context cuts are never appreciated, but if it helps the overall outlook they must be considered. I'm certain that these decisions were not taken lightly, randomly, or without serious consideration. I'm sure too that they were made to keep as much of the festival (as it is now) running smoothly. Additionally, this is not the first time that Cropredy norms have been shaken up, the same with any annual event. Way back at the start of the festival somebody clearly realized that a blue tarpaulin tied above the stage was not quite sufficient and perhaps a proper rig would have to be considered the following year. Or that with more punters, more toilets would have to be added. Or wrist bands worn the entire weekend be mandatory. And the list goes on. Seems to me that virtually every year some adjustment is made necessitated by changes in audience, demand, traffic, camping, revenue, food, and requests from the village itself. Change is never easy, but like with a business, the desire is that things pick up after making the changes.

BTW, despite the minor carps in my last post, I completely agree with RobertD's comments.   Even though I failed to get in at Tier 1 prices, the new ticketing policy certainly made us get our act together pretty sharpish and get our order in now (instead of on 30th May as usual!)

"Music is the antidote
To the world of pain and sorrow"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #137 on: December 05, 2019, 07:40:46 AM »

OtOH, I was not best pleased at the lack of advance information as to the numbers of tickets available in each tranche OR what the price increase will be each time. †

Virtually every other large(ish) festival does this Tiered approach, and as far as I'm aware none of them provide the information you talk about above.  Why exactly would they provide such commercially sensitive data?!

Wardi

Loc: N.Yorkshire

« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2019, 09:10:30 AM »

In my other hobby of part time athlete, I recently entered a marathon in Barcelona. †It was made clear up front that the first 10,000 entries would be at the cheapest early bird price of 61 Euros. †Their FB posts and email messages notified us when they were down to the last 1000, 500 of these places so all interested parties were forewarned. †We were also told that the 2nd tier price would go up to 73 Euros. †I don't see any harm in being transparent about it, people will still pull their finger out and pay if it means saving a few quid. †A large event needs money to cover upfront and ongoing costs leading up to the big day/weekend so I can understand the need for a tiered system. †I just think that as above Cropredy should put either a numbers limit or date line on it so folks (no pun intended) know where they are.

Just to add this didn't affect me as I managed to get into the glamping field (for the price I think I could have enjoyed a weekend in Barcelona Roll Eyes.) Incidentally this year's glampers received an email last Friday offering advance booking for next year which we duly took advantage of (just the camping, no festival tickets).

I am still baffled by the Field 8 saga but presumably there must be a simple explanation. Huh † † †
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2019, 09:18:20 AM »

Interesting line up and one for Fairport afficianados I think.
Over the last few years it felt like Cropredy Fest was growing and morphing , gently, in to something else, eg the Ď bigí Thursday headliners . They were expensive but to some extent seemed to make the fest financially viable.
This year almost back to the model of years ago.
There were only 12,000 people there last year so has this yearís line up being designed for that core audience?
Trevor Horn , Steve Hackett and with the greatest of respect cos I love the album, Fairports doing Full House is unlikely to pull a younger audience so I really hope it works for Fairports and pulls an audience .
People on this site sometimes suggest I have become negative, I haven't.
I am writing this looking at the Farewell poster , which hangs in our Ď office/music room , which came from outside the Brase in 79. I was there for some fests in the 80ís and then 22fests from 90ís onwards.
I really hope it works and people have a great time.
I wonít be there, not because of lineup particularly but because my band is already booked for another fest that wend as I canít let others in the band down.
Those of you who will love this lineup have a great time. †I will be thinking of the field thatí wíend......
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: