TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 09, 2019, 08:54:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2020 Chatter  (Read 6060 times)
Yorkshire Chris

Loc: Yorkshire (who'd have guessed...!)

« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2019, 03:46:48 PM »

Can we have the countdown to Cropredy timer back on the board please? Smiley

And until it appears a 'Countdown to Cropredy Timer' timer....!  Wink
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2019, 03:57:36 PM »

Mission accomplished

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2019, 04:43:09 PM »

£145 for "early birds", What on earth are the tier 4 prices going to be! Sadly, it's really out of our price range now.

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Wandering Steve

« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2019, 08:30:21 PM »

I’m old school I put a fiver in a tin each week
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2019, 12:42:16 AM »

2019 ....Field 8 ...very well run and very popular,everyone attending had to have a festival ticket......... So lets detach it....outcome =

2020.....Field 8 ...very well run and very popular, sold out already and no one attending has to have a festival ticket..

2019 ....Field7b ...Open from Wednesday and very popular,........ So lets not do it this year....

Seems a strange response to a bad year attendance wise..

Is Cropredy Festival now being run by Prince Andrews PR Team???

You can now come to Cropredy for Festival Week and camp at Bridge Meadow or Field 8 and enjoy music at four different venues,get all the vibe of the event and not set foot on the main field. Quite an own goal me thinks.

I did that for 4 yrs Trev , before Bridge Meadow got known. Only 5 vans on it when I first used it in 2013 .
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2019, 09:29:11 AM »

80% of Tier 1 tickets sold, according to a post from FC on Facebook.  And glamping sold out already too.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2019, 11:36:22 AM »

Indeed, on twitter too. So achieving their intention of getting more funds in sooner

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2019, 12:07:43 PM »

Still having a serious think about 2020 . I've done 33 on the trot but never been so disappointed with the line up. There is a good chance that I will crack in the end but wont be buying for now. We have done 7 festivals this year and if I had to rank them in terms of the music alone Cropredy would not come out well. But of course there is more to it than that.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2019, 12:26:09 PM »

Still having a serious think about 2020 . I've done 33 on the trot but never been so disappointed with the line up. There is a good chance that I will crack in the end but wont be buying for now. We have done 7 festivals this year and if I had to rank them in terms of the music alone Cropredy would not come out well. But of course there is more to it than that.
Come along Nick Reg. You know you want to....  Smiley

Confusion will be my epitaph
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2019, 01:02:19 PM »

I've bought but completely understand the point, when you compare what you get for your money at Cropredy, as regards music, to other festivals it doesn't stack up well. Leave the money out of it and it won't make much difference.  There is just something that draws me back. I have no idea about how difficult it is to book bands/artists or any financial constraints, so I speak from a position of total ignorance - it feels to me like they've gone for a very safe line up, when I thought they were quite adventurous last year (FT, Gogol ) and look what happened

There also seems to be a tendency to bring back an act that was popular , Pierce Brothers for example,  and bump them up the bill.  Trevor Horn and Steve Hackett being this years examples. Do these bands attract a higher fee now ?  I'm made up though that Steve Hackett is back.

I find the price of beer at the bar prohibitive btw,   think I only bought 2 pints there last year.

and it's bound to be sunny this time....

and the stars look very different today
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2019, 01:12:58 PM »

I'm intrigued by this comment, as I think this line up reflects far more accurately the earlier festivals than it does those of more recent years, which is probably why it appeals to me so.  

I've been to lots of festivals with outstanding lineups of 100 bands on 3 or more stages over 4 days.  I still probably only really watch half a dozen sets or thereabouts...  As in so many things in this crazy old world, less is so much more.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2019, 01:27:02 PM »

I've bought but completely understand the point, when you compare what you get for your money at Cropredy, as regards music, to other festivals it doesn't stack up well. Leave the money out of it and it won't make much difference.  There is just something that draws me back. I have no idea about how difficult it is to book bands/artists or any financial constraints, so I speak from a position of total ignorance - it feels to me like they've gone for a very safe line up, when I thought they were quite adventurous last year (FT, Gogol ) and look what happened

There also seems to be a tendency to bring back an act that was popular , Pierce Brothers for example,  and bump them up the bill.  Trevor Horn and Steve Hackett being this years examples. Do these bands attract a higher fee now ?  I'm made up though that Steve Hackett is back.

I find the price of beer at the bar prohibitive btw,   think I only bought 2 pints there last year.

and it's bound to be sunny this time....

Money has absolutely nothing to with it. I go to Shrewsbury which is probably the most expensive. The few acts they have announced so far include the superb Blackie and The Rodeo Kings, Show of Hands and The Young Uns, together with a folk opera that could be every bit as good as the Transports was a few years ago. I'll certainly be shelling out for that one. The bar shouldn't be a problem for anyone as you can take your own. I don't mind paying a bit extra because I understand whats involved.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2019, 02:02:01 PM »

I'm intrigued by this comment, as I think this line up reflects far more accurately the earlier festivals than it does those of more recent years, which is probably why it appeals to me so.  

I've been to lots of festivals with outstanding lineups of 100 bands on 3 or more stages over 4 days.  I still probably only really watch half a dozen sets or thereabouts...  As in so many things in this crazy old world, less is so much more.

I'm with you on both parts of that...there are a couple of heavy metal festivals in Europe with excellent line ups - if you like that sort of thing - and across 5 stages, it's impossible to see them all. It's a pain as well, when you see several bands announced you want to see, you buy a ticket, because it sells out in a couple of hours, and you find out, when the running order is announced, that they are all on at the same time.

As for what constitutes a good line up, well it's a bit Schrödinger's Cat...the line up can be both great and poop at the same time depending on the observer. With up to 20,000 varying states from one extreme to the other, It's not a job I'd like to undertake every year.

As tier one has sold so quickly, I guess either the line up or the experience of being there is working for the lads, so good for them.
On the down side, it's another bit of stress that didn't happen in ye olde days.
Rush to get a ticket...
Rush to get a camping spot...
Rush to get a spot in the field...

It used to be so laid back.
The times they are a changing...

Well I never did..
Chris
Global Moderator

« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2019, 02:04:37 PM »

In the/your early days, did you ever (need to) rush to get a camping spot? I didn't.....age does change your outlook

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2019, 02:14:38 PM »

Thursday and Friday nights effectively tribute bands, apart from Friday mid / low bill not impressive having checked youtube, will I pay £80 for a one day ticket to hear Full House?

Off to the fringe I think.

DW
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2019, 02:30:24 PM »

In the/your early days, did you ever (need to) rush to get a camping spot? I didn't.....age does change your outlook

No...I always ended up on two or three, but I didn't care where I was. Thursday was chill day. Now I end up on four.
I'm aware of issues with health and age...I was stuck in my tent all weekend this year with mine.
The rush is for all though, the main contributor to that is the festival starting on Thursday...
There would be less pressure on the old and infirm if that was still the case, or indeed if we had Wednesday...but that increases the cost, as we have discussed before.

Well I never did..
Chris
Global Moderator

« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2019, 02:39:06 PM »

Sorry, I don't agree - there would still be a rush, as most now care where they camp. It's life, unfortunately.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2019, 02:44:50 PM »

Sorry, I don't agree - there would still be a rush, as most now care where they camp. It's life, unfortunately.

That's a self-fulfilling prophecy pre-determined by the mindless idiots on a Thursday morning refusing to follow rules (and sadly, said rules not being fully enforced, thereby ensuring said rules are not followed)....

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Chris
Global Moderator

« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2019, 02:46:20 PM »

couldn't agree more.

Brian Green

« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2019, 03:11:01 PM »

It would be interesting if those rules were enforced!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: