TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
November 30, 2021, 09:56:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2020 Chatter  (Read 78199 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #220 on: February 04, 2020, 10:08:12 AM »

How on earth have we got to here from a situation where (and presumably they made money then?) a weekend ticket in 1984 (my first) cost £11 (£35.62 at 2019 prices according to the Bank of England inflation calculator)?  Yes I know we now have a festival that is effectively twice as long, but in reality the vast majority of the crowd was there from Thur am, even back in the 80's.  My head can't compute how things have changed so dramatically to a point where ticket prices now are about, what, six times the (real) cost of what they cost back then?  Many things about this modern world confuse me though....  

[Just for clarity, this is a general point about the rising cost of festivals being made about this specific one because I have the figures to hand.
 I'm not having a go at Croppers]

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Tom64

Loc: Munich

« Reply #221 on: February 04, 2020, 11:15:01 AM »

Of course I am no expert on these things but here are my thoughts:

I think the part that live music is playing in peoples lives has changed.

Music is everywhere in the clouds. Things I had to go and search for for months in record stores when I was young are now available instantly.

The places where live music is played are getting less and less.

So I think concerts are more „events“ these days for many people. Many (the crowd here obviously excluded) won’t go to a lot of concerts but just pick two or three of their favourites and seem to be willing to spend more money on those.

The huge acts have lots of costs for dancers, projections, laser shows and other show business things.

Also for a lot of bands selling albums doesn’t pay the bills any more so they have to rely on touring and raise their prices there to survive.

Add inflation and rising costs etc and I think it all adds up to the present situation.

All very much IMVHO and I may be wrong on all points.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #222 on: February 04, 2020, 11:24:21 AM »

Add inflation and rising costs etc and I think it all adds up to the present situation.

My point above specifically takes account of inflation.  There is probably a much wider point about the inaccuracy of the RPI as a measurement of inflation (for largely political reasons) but....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #223 on: February 04, 2020, 11:50:56 AM »

I'm sure that the costs of running a festival will have increased hugely since 1984 too - Health and safety, security, hire costs for sound equipment, toilets, etc, etc.  But it is shocking when you consider that the ticket price has increased by that amount.  And yet as we always hear that Cropredy will only go on as long as each one covers it's costs, I don't think anyone is making a mint out of it (unless it is the suppliers of services).

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #224 on: February 04, 2020, 11:52:36 AM »

My point above specifically takes account of inflation.  There is probably a much wider point about the inaccuracy of the RPI as a measurement of inflation (for largely political reasons) but....

I have no idea how much is caused by rising costs but, in the 80's before the mains were put in, there was a tanker of water per camping field for all purposes. In The Field there were a few loos but, as the famous cartoon of the fest shows, after dark us chaps wee'd against the fence which is now blindingly illuminated for H & S reasons. Insurance in this age of blame and compo must be huge. Every time fixed costs rise, so does the break-even point.
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #225 on: February 04, 2020, 11:57:43 AM »

I'm with all of those reasons, the whole festival infrastructure has changed in the last 30 odd years, 'elf and safety has to be sorted, Putting on a festival the size of Cropredy ain't cheap. I would hazard a guess that the band make a few bob, if they didn't it wouldn't happen.
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #226 on: February 04, 2020, 01:45:21 PM »

I love the German Pagan Folk band Faun.They are playing the Union Chapel in April and its costing £30 for a ticket.

My son and his wife went to see Elton john at Colwyn Bay last year and the tickets were £60 each.

Cropredy festival happens in a field with no static infrastructure. Everything has to be created and paid for. There are 20 acts on, plus a compere. Lets say the average cost to see each individually at a venue with all infrastructure present was £30 per ticket. Id have to pay £600.

I think the festival is bloody good value.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #227 on: February 04, 2020, 01:51:38 PM »

Excellent.  So I'm assuming do another fifteen thousand or more.  What I'm trying to understand is how 'they' managed to run a similar (thought not the same) one for 1/6th (taking inflation into account) the cost of today, 36 years ago.

fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #228 on: February 04, 2020, 02:01:41 PM »

Excellent.  So I'm assuming do another fifteen thousand or more.  What I'm trying to understand is how 'they' managed to run a similar (thought not the same) one for 1/6th (taking inflation into account) the cost of today, 36 years ago.

very basic facilities, no health and safely laws to meet, less infrastructure to hire, Loos etc. I wanted to hire a couple of portaloos for an event a year or so back.....£300! A marquee £450...….I rest my case
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #229 on: February 04, 2020, 02:05:28 PM »

Because 'they' and other comparable size festivals have to deal with so much more now than 36 years ago. Insurance, video screens, health and safety, more toilets, the temporary roads and fencing, the paid stewards, sound equipment, lighting rigs, etc, etc. Take away the video screens at this point and no one would be happy. Go back to massive stacks of amplifiers covered by blue tarpaulin as the 'sound system' and people would complain the sound was terrible. Take away the fencing and it would be a free for all of people coming at going anywhere they chose to instead of designated entry points. People are different than they were 36 years ago. More impatient, more willing to gripe. To negate those gripes, the band has to keep an eye on every aspect of a festival experience, including the lineup. It wasn't easy 36 years ago, and I'm sure its even harder to do so now whilst keeping an eye on budget and bottom line for every single decision.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #230 on: February 04, 2020, 05:00:05 PM »

Will, Bill and Robert have got it right. There are things that have to be covered now that simply didn't matter back in the day.

It is the same for other festivals:
At its start, Truck Festival cost me a fiver on the door for 1-2 days of music. In 2020 it is £100-£130. The change in ticket prices over the years can be seen at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_Festival
In the late '80s I paid about £20 to go to Glastonbury (and yes, I paid - I felt guilty for Greenpeace & other charities so didn't break in). I'm guessing it's in the region of £300 now?
In the mid-late '80s I paid about £20-£25 to go to Reading festival. They're about £240 now.

It's become an expensive hobby, but this is not unique to Cropredy.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #231 on: February 04, 2020, 05:35:20 PM »

Will, Bill and Robert have got it right. There are things that have to be covered now that simply didn't matter back in the day.

It is the same for other festivals:
At its start, Truck Festival cost me a fiver on the door for 1-2 days of music. In 2020 it is £100-£130. The change in ticket prices over the years can be seen at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_Festival
In the late '80s I paid about £20 to go to Glastonbury (and yes, I paid - I felt guilty for Greenpeace & other charities so didn't break in). I'm guessing it's in the region of £300 now?
In the mid-late '80s I paid about £20-£25 to go to Reading festival. They're about £240 now.

It's become an expensive hobby, but this is not unique to Cropredy.

Cheers

Nick

I specifically made the point that this is not unique to Cropredy.  But these (rather vague) "things that need to be covered" that didn't need to be covered 3 and a bit decades ago sure cost a lot (about 83% of the current total).  Hmmm.  This sounds like a case of "that's just the way it is" rather than an explanation.  Anyway, it's probably best to simply leave me with my confusion and disappointment at the modern world....

Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #232 on: February 24, 2020, 05:57:56 PM »

I see the magic teapot is to make an appearance on Field 2,  got to say I love the magic teapot and the vibe within at other festivals where our appearance has coincided.  Can turn into a bit of an all nighter though.   Shocked Shocked

and the stars look very different today
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #233 on: February 24, 2020, 06:44:33 PM »

I see the magic teapot is to make an appearance on Field 2,  got to say I love the magic teapot and the vibe within at other festivals where our appearance has coincided.  Can turn into a bit of an all nighter though.   Shocked Shocked

An after show space like this is much appreciated by us miserable types who don’t bring their own tribe with them.
Swamp Donkey (Keith)

Loc: Bedfordshire

« Reply #234 on: February 24, 2020, 09:47:35 PM »

Mmm, is this a start of the second stage at Cropredy. The USP of Cropredy is it’s one stage. Yes, there is the fringe and
Field 8. However this tent can only accommodate 80 people. So it won’t take away many from the the main field but there might be a queue to get in (especially if they offer free tea). See you in the queue, a tea for me please.

Well it's turned out nice again!
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #235 on: February 25, 2020, 06:38:28 AM »

Have dabbled in the magic teapot at Bearded Theory but I know there have been issues in the past with nearby campers being unimpressed with drumming and the umpteenth drunken singalong of American Pie! It's great fun though! 😀

Happy mainly.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #236 on: February 25, 2020, 10:38:23 AM »

I think it shows the chaps are planning for the future of the festival. They know they won't be able to rely on the traditional fan base for ever so they're bringing in things that will attract a new clientele - and, just as important, keep people coming back. Anyone that fancies getting involved in live music can join in - I might go and bang a tambourine myself!!

It's great news, as long as those camped nearby are OK with it....  Wink

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Wandering Steve

« Reply #237 on: March 29, 2020, 05:35:44 PM »

Given the government have just announced that social distancing measures may go on until September I’d imagine the chances of cramming into the teapot now loom remote  Shocked
vince42

« Reply #238 on: March 29, 2020, 08:05:40 PM »

Perhaps if we were all issued with a tarpaulin to stake out a 2m safety zone....

I'll get my coat.

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #239 on: March 29, 2020, 08:40:25 PM »

I was thinking, even if the government restrictions weren't still in place in August (which is highly debatable) the other thing to consider is the relationship with the residents of Cropredy. It would be strongly tested if thousands were to descend on the village after a period of 'lockdown'

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: