TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 17, 2021, 07:56:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2020 Chatter  (Read 74088 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2019, 06:08:28 PM »

Fwiw, I think it's quite a good way of selling tickets for something that usually sells out, thereby rewarding the old faithfuls who will go whatever the lineup.  However, the Tier 4 higher prices have the potential to put off people who might or might not want to go and leave it late to make a decision.  I think it's an interesting decision for a festival that has had a bad year to take...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Wandering Steve

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2019, 10:59:25 PM »

If I were booking in there, I'd be asking to see -

a) his insurance policy
b) his licence from Cherwell District Council for the entertainment - you might find it's a rather quiet field with no stage/bar

I wouldnít worry too much Chris,various events are held there such as weddings etc and they have to be licensed.
FWIW Iíve been in the back garden of the bell at great bourton(incidently now shut) in pre field 8 days and depending on wind direction you could hear the main stage clear as a bell....
The fact that field 8 is no more than 200 metres from main stage as the crow flies will make no difference whatsoever.
Iíd imagine that seems as entertainment and bar are advertised as part of the deal it is all in hand.
I donít do Facebook Chris but if you do you could ask Gerry,he always responds and Iím sure he will let you know whatís what...
Itís a shame field 7b isnít four days this year as it was popular last year but Iíd guess it wasnít economically viable....
With many people enjoying more than a three day stay at the event I think the organisers are missing a trick...
They do however seem to have found a field for glamping which obviously costs a lot more...
Wrong way to go imo....
Four day camping would surely satisfy more people judging by field 7b last year...
Wandering Steve

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2019, 11:02:46 PM »

Fwiw, I think it's quite a good way of selling tickets for something that usually sells out, thereby rewarding the old faithfuls who will go whatever the lineup. †However, the Tier 4 higher prices have the potential to put off people who might or might not want to go and leave it late to make a decision. †I think it's an interesting decision for a festival that has had a bad year to take...

When did it last sell out?
It was 2/3 full at best last year.
Mind you in a funny way it was like a badge of honour to have been there and survived the hurricane  Grin
vince42

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2019, 04:33:37 PM »

Four day camping would surely satisfy more people judging by field 7b last year...

I for one am sad this isn't available.  It was ideal last year just to drive in set up and then wander into the village to soak up some atmosphere (and beer) - much more chilled than the Thursday antics.

Didn't really make any difference to where we ended up field wise anyway as we have always been either 7b or 7c in the past just a much more pleasant way to start the festival.

As you say for the sake of an extra few pounds on the camping it may not have been worth the extra staffing / administration.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2019, 05:38:17 PM »

I for one am sad this isn't available. †It was ideal last year just to drive in set up and then wander into the village to soak up some atmosphere (and beer) - much more chilled than the Thursday antics.

Which is exactly what Thursday used to all be about (when it was just a day and a half festival).  Many of my fave memories of Cropedy over the (early) years come from those Thursdays...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
vince42

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2019, 11:41:05 AM »

Which is exactly what Thursday used to all be about (when it was just a day and a half festival).  Many of my fave memories of Cropedy over the (early) years come from those Thursdays...

Showing my youth...  Wink
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2019, 01:09:26 PM »

2019 ....Field 8 ...very well run and very popular,everyone attending had to have a festival ticket......... So lets detach it....outcome =

2020.....Field 8 ...very well run and very popular, sold out already and no one attending has to have a festival ticket..

2019 ....Field7b ...Open from Wednesday and very popular,........ So lets not do it this year....

Seems a strange response to a bad year attendance wise..

Is Cropredy Festival now being run by Prince Andrews PR Team???

You can now come to Cropredy for Festival Week and camp at Bridge Meadow or Field 8 and enjoy music at four different venues,get all the vibe of the event and not set foot on the main field. Quite an own goal me thinks.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2019, 01:14:36 PM »

You can now come to Cropredy for Festival Week and camp at Bridge Meadow or Field 8 and enjoy music at four different venues,get all the vibe of the event and not set foot on the main field. Quite an own goal me thinks.

Your conclusion has certainly occurred to me as well.  I'd be interested in an informed counter-argument...

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2019, 02:09:53 PM »

Bridge Meadow is fine how it is!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2019, 03:15:55 PM »

Maybe extra costs required to cover Wednesday were not met with it being a less well sold year.
Burning both ends of the financial candle so to speak.

Well I never did..
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2019, 04:11:36 PM »

2019 ....Field 8 ...very well run and very popular,everyone attending had to have a festival ticket......... So lets detach it....outcome =

2020.....Field 8 ...very well run and very popular, sold out already and no one attending has to have a festival ticket..

2019 ....Field7b ...Open from Wednesday and very popular,........ So lets not do it this year....

I know of a few who already do that - attend but donít go near the main field.
There could be a myriad of reasons, Iíd be interested to know though

* I like the Prince Andrew comment  Grin Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2019, 04:28:58 PM »

And drink better beer at considerably less cost....

and the stars look very different today
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2019, 04:35:57 PM »

I hope the various venues, including the festival itself, get their act together about plastic glasses.  I've got a growing collection of reusable glasses which cost either 1 or 2 pounds from other festivals. It's practical and a souvenir. I remember trying to use one last year, I think at the Brasenose, and it being refused.  They would pour it into a plastic glass for me,  then into mine and wouldn't accept it defeated the object

and the stars look very different today
Wandering Steve

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2019, 04:44:01 PM »

Bridge Meadow is fine how it is!

Been underwater to a few days ago....
Mind you thatís very unlikely in august Cheesy
Wandering Steve

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2019, 04:55:44 PM »

Iíd guess very few people on field 8 and bridge meadow would not have festival ticket.
People stay at travelodges in Banbury rather than buy a camping ticket,that doesnít help the festival finances either.
If I were in charge of keeping the festival going for the future I would sell 3 day tickets only(if you only want to come to see fairport then pay the 3 day price to keep it going).
Iíd also make sure the 3 day ticket included festival camping for £175
If you wish to stay in a travelodge or non affiliated field then you pay that as well.
Iíd do cheaper teenage 3 day tickets but fundamentally just sell £175 all in tickets,everyone pays the same,everyone contributes the same to keep the event going...
This Saturday ticket only is frankly ridiculous and the biggest loss of revenue imaginable.
Itís our festival
Letís all pay the same
Letís keep it going
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2019, 05:18:49 PM »

Iíd guess very few people on field 8 and bridge meadow would not have festival ticket.
People stay at travelodges in Banbury rather than buy a camping ticket,that doesnít help the festival finances either.
If I were in charge of keeping the festival going for the future I would sell 3 day tickets only(if you only want to come to see fairport then pay the 3 day price to keep it going).
If you wish to stay in a travelodge or non affiliated field then you pay that as well.
Iíd do cheaper teenage 3 day tickets but fundamentally just sell £175 all in tickets,everyone pays the same,everyone contributes the same to keep the event going...
This Saturday ticket only is frankly ridiculous and the biggest loss of revenue imaginable.
Itís our festival
Letís all pay the same
Letís keep it going

We use Bridge Meadow because we didn't like the organisation on the Thursday morning, there are better ways but thats for another time.
We now like arrive on Tuesday because
We like to arrive in a relaxed manner and chill
We like to choose a pitch that suits our large vehicle , if its not level we're knackered.
We like to visit the fringe
We like to camp with friends
We have a few medical problems which are not helped by the Thursday morning Lemming run.
We pay for BM and would not be prepared to pay twice.

Wandering Steve

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2019, 05:36:12 PM »

Itís our festival
Letís all pay the same
Letís keep it going

We use Bridge Meadow because we didn't like the organisation on the Thursday morning, there are better ways but thats for another time.
We like to choose a pitch that suits our large vehicle , if its not level we're knackered.
We have a few medical problems which are not helped by the Thursday morning Lemming run.

Well if it all goes belly up youíll know who to blame.
Why shouldnít the festival be £175 with camping if thatís what it takes to keep our festival alive??
Iím sure theyíd be plenty moaning if it ceases to exist.....
Mainly those who want to camp independently and turn up only on a Saturday...
Why should the majority of 3 day ticket purchasers who also pay for camping subsidise those who want to turn up for one day and give money to other operations rather than pay to keep the festival going
FWIW Iíd have no problems paying firstly....
The £175 to fairport to keep the festival going and then if I choose to pay to camp elsewhere at my own expense then thatís my choice.
Thatís what will keep this festival going for the future and actually make improvements.
I think £175 for music and camping is still great value...
If people want to pay for extras thereís nothing stopping them....
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2019, 06:03:34 PM »

Itís our festival
Letís all pay the same
Letís keep it going

Why shouldnít the festival be £175 with camping if thatís what it takes to keep our festival alive??
Why should the majority of 3 day ticket purchasers who also pay for camping subsidise those who want to turn up for one day and give money to other operations rather than pay to keep the festival going
The £175 to fairport to keep the festival going and then if I choose to pay to camp elsewhere at my own expense then thatís my choice.
Thatís what will keep this festival going for the future and actually make improvements.

If I had to go back to the Lemming run I would probably stop going. I go for the all round experience now as a lot of the main field acts don't appeal to me. So its £150 or nowt, I've done 32 on the trot, so I've paid as much as most. We are pensioners now (cash rich but income poor) and have been for about 5 years so we aren't scrimping just careful. A lot of attendees are now pensioners and don't want to camp at all.

Wandering Steve

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2019, 06:28:16 PM »

Itís our festival
Letís all pay the same
Letís keep it going

If I had to go back to the Lemming run I would probably stop going. I go for the all round experience now as a lot of the main field acts don't appeal to me. So its £150 or nowt, I've done 32 on the trot, so I've paid as much as most. We are pensioners now (cash rich but income poor) and have been for about 5 years so we aren't scrimping just careful. A lot of attendees are now pensioners and don't want to camp at all.

Thatís a shame as I think thatís what will happen
This year field 8 was £60
If I had to buy a ticket with camping for £175 I would and I find it very sad that for the cost of £50/60 more if one wished to stay a little longer others would not attend
It works out about a quid a week over the year.
If people really think so little of the festival and are not prepared to support it and/or outside organisations then there is no future.
Make no mistake imo field 8 and BM would still sell out because there would be plenty of people happy to buy an all in ticket and forego the inclusive camping for the continence of field 8/BM

I posted on this site last year that Iíd heard that field 8 would be independent this year and itís my opinion that inclusive tickets will be the next thing.
£175 with or without camping
A cropredy festival safeguarded for the future and money in the kitty for acts that were previously out of reach...
Iíve no problem with that if it means being in an Oxfordshire field every August.

Judging by the way that glamping sells out with more tents each year that are @£500 before you buy a ticket there are plenty out there who are prepared to pay a lot more!!

Regards pensioners and not camping
I think the organisers have shown terrible shortsightedness in this
They should have realised they would lose revenue by customers not camping and should have increased ticket prices for a ticket only particularly a Saturday only one many years ago to make up for the loss in revenue.
You should pay more for a ticket on its own than one with the camping added on.
Thatís not rocket science
The shortfall of camping revenue has to be made up somewhere and a premium on ticket only was the way to go....
As an aside nick
If your ailments mean you are disabled you can get in a field opposite the top gate on williamscote road on the Wednesday.
You just need to show you have a blue badge..
This may help you if you meet the relevant conditions.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2019, 06:45:57 PM »

Steve you are obvious a fanatic, in the nicest way, as I have been for many years, but needs must. If your proposals are adopted you may well cut out many of the casual attendees which the festival clearly needs.
I have used the disabled field when self and Mrs Reg broke our ankles in successive years, but it is clearly being abused. I wont apply under false pretences like some do. My symptoms are not regular and not obvious but I have ended up in the first aid tent or similar three times in the last 2 years, at different festivals as several on here will testify. It is related to Atrial fibrillation and I am generally OK but like to be in an environment that is relaxing. We actually camped in the disabled area this year at Shrewsbury by accident but the found that I needed it!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: