TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:43:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ric Grech in Fairport  (Read 7874 times)
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« on: September 27, 2019, 04:49:02 PM »

Ric Grech, (from Family) who you can hear on the Heyday CD. Does anyone know if this pre-dates Swarb's first guest appearance? If so, it would make "Ric" FC's very first fiddler!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 04:56:44 PM »

Ric Grech, (from Family) who you can hear on the Heyday CD. Does anyone know if this pre-dates Swarb's first guest appearance? If so, it would make "Ric" FC's very first fiddler!

I vaguely recall that Simon did some fiddle on a track predating Ric.  Can't be arsed to look it up though.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 04:58:32 PM »

And I believe Martin Lamble also played on something. I remembered Grech as well, but was only counting the members of Fairport itself.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 05:31:37 PM »

I vaguely recall that Simon did some fiddle on a track predating Ric.  Can't be arsed to look it up though.

Jules

I vaguely recall something at Cropredy with the whole front line playing fiddles (one viola if I remember correctly).  My decrepit middle aged brain can't recall what it was, mind...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 06:30:39 PM »

Jules

I vaguely recall something at Cropredy with the whole front line playing fiddles (one viola if I remember correctly).  My decrepit middle aged brain can't recall what it was, mind...

I think when they did Bridge Over The River Ash there was at least one viola, so that sounds true. And that promo clip of the Nine lineup doing Polly On The Shore has Swarb on viola as well. They're all fiddles to me though!  Grin

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 10:34:38 PM »

Jules

Wasn't it Simon on Viola? I seem to remember him saying "Relegated to rhythm viola".

They performed Bridge of the River Test or Itchen when I saw them at Southampton University. I was there, and thought I would never see them again.

Paul

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 12:27:18 AM »

And I believe Martin Lamble also played on something. I remembered Grech as well, but was only counting the members of Fairport itself.

Maybe it was Martin I was thinking of - that rings a bell.

Jeez, you'd think one of us would know.  I blame ageing braincells.

Jules

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 08:42:59 AM »

Martin and Simon both played violin on M1 Breakdown and/or Portfolio on the first album.

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 09:18:49 AM »

Jules

Wasn't it Simon on Viola? I seem to remember him saying "Relegated to rhythm viola".

They performed Bridge of the River Test or Itchen when I saw them at Southampton University. I was there, and thought I would never see them again.

Paul

That is preserved for posterior on the the Farewell, Farewell album, isn't it?

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 10:29:30 AM »

Martin and Simon both played violin on M1 Breakdown and/or Portfolio on the first album.

That's it!  Thank you, Jude.  If in doubt, you can often rely on someone who was actually there!

Jules

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 11:26:05 AM »

Jules

Paul

That is preserved for posterior on the the Farewell, Farewell album, isn't it?

Yep. "Bridge over the river Test stroke Itchen" to quote Mr Nicol.

Flobbadob!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: