TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 17, 2019, 08:31:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Abandoned tents or not?  (Read 1570 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2019, 03:30:48 PM »

]Sorry to double post. I understood locals get tickets at a reduced price and I imagine most of them give the tickets to their kids & their friends.

Locals can only buy tickets for themselves or their direct offspring, and are completely non-transferable. FC have really tightened up, which is a very good thing. Friends have to buy their own full-price tickets. Another very good thing.

I think they still need to produce tickets to get into the field but I'm not 100% on that. I'm quite sure others could join them in the backpackers field without too much hassle.

They do, just like everyone else. In fact, they have to collect their wristband as they are virtual tickets & don't exist in paper form at all.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2019, 03:31:55 PM »

I work with and know quite a few people who go to Reading and similar festivals including Glastonbury, and they always leave everything behind. When questioned they tell me "that's what it's all about" or "everyone else does - why shouldn't I?"

So my questions would be, how can buying all this equipment and then just abandoning it be "what its all about" & how can they afford to do that every time anyway?
Because they are happy to allocate the cost to their "fun money". They also complain about not being paid enough.

I also think there's a certain amount of peer pressure - your mates would laugh at you for packing up your tent and making sure you pull out all the pegs so the cows don't eat them by mistake. (It's what old people do". I'm considered an odd bod because I do my best to reduce, reuse, recycle. It's seen as naff. It's not cool.

But I thought it was the millennials who were supposedly driving the current environmentalism and it was us old codgers who had supposedly ruined the world for them.
JennyB
chums at Bloodstock

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2019, 03:43:41 PM »

You will certainly have had your wristband checked on/off the campsite/pavilion/arena entrances...

We didn't exchange our tickets until after we'd set-up, so at that point we didn't have wristbands! We did see people on the gate, but they didn't ask us to show them anything - perhaps we just managed to slip through somehow!
Chris
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2019, 03:46:41 PM »

More likely you did get through initially, but your wristband was clocked on your return to your tent after exchange. stray campers have been ejected after set up in the past.

iandiddams

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2019, 04:10:13 PM »

I was in the backpackers' field, and we didn't have to show anything to set-up our tent. We just wandered on .

You will certainly have had your wristband checked on/off the campsite/pavilion/arena entrances...

seemingly not on/off the backpackers site as per Jenny's post though?  If you only wanted to got to the fringe/edge/pubs youd be able to stay locally for free and indulge in the fringe stuff?

Id agree that seems to be off...

Maybe Jenny is able to confirm etc

didds
Chris
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2019, 04:13:55 PM »

I'm telling Jenny that getting back on to the backpacker's field needs walking past a steward at the entrance (any entrance) to the campsite, for which you need a wristband after arena opens, or a ticket if just arriving. both are generally checked all weekend. Of course, if a steward can see it on your wrist, they aren't going to stop you....she got checked, Ik'm sure

JennyB
chums at Bloodstock

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2019, 04:43:12 PM »

Yes, we got on to the field without being checked, but that was before the arena opened (I think) and then set up our tent and went straight to the wristband exchange near the entrance to the arena. I'm sure that from that point on my wristband was reasonably prominently displayed. I'm glad to hear that the stewards do actively check though - thought the potential for mischief was a bit...
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2019, 06:55:52 PM »

The worst I've seen is about 10 years ago, part of the backpackers field was disgusting, but I was told it was local kids on cheap tickets, dropped off by their Dads. They were just there to get drunk and generally misbehave. They certainly weren't interested in Fairport.

I think I remember the year you mean. We were in the next field and a lot of kids were staying on the camp field drinking and going in and out in cars. The were later moved to a separate field called by the stewards "The Creche". My son's wife stayed at the van a lot of the time because she was being followed by the paps. She was almost hit by a full tin of baked beans thrown by the wretches. They seemed to be local and some did not have wristbands.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2019, 08:17:37 PM »

Anyone see The One Show tonight? They talked with a lady at the Green Man Festival who turns discarded tents into rain coats and then sells them back to festival goers. Excellent business thinking  Grin

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!

Loc: Isle of Skye

...rivers always reach the sea.

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2019, 08:21:04 PM »

Anyone see The One Show tonight? They talked with a lady at the Green Man Festival who turns discarded tents into rain coats and then sells them back to festival goers. Excellent business thinking †Grin

Yes, I saw it, too. A lovely lady with a super idea!

Meminesse sed providere
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2019, 12:07:15 AM »

I work with and know quite a few people who go to Reading and similar festivals including Glastonbury, and they always leave everything behind. When questioned they tell me "that's what it's all about" or "everyone else does - why shouldn't I?"

So my questions would be, how can buying all this equipment and then just abandoning it be "what its all about" & how can they afford to do that every time anyway?
Because they are happy to allocate the cost to their "fun money". They also complain about not being paid enough.

I also think there's a certain amount of peer pressure - your mates would laugh at you for packing up your tent and making sure you pull out all the pegs so the cows don't eat them by mistake. (It's what old people do". I'm considered an odd bod because I do my best to reduce, reuse, recycle. It's seen as naff. It's not cool.

But I thought it was the millennials who were supposedly driving the current environmentalism and it was us old codgers who had supposedly ruined the world for them.
Well, thatís what the media (or someone controlling it) want you to believe  Undecided

Confusion will be my epitaph
iandiddams

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2019, 10:27:07 AM »

Well, thatís what the media (or someone controlling it) want you to believe †Undecided

and of course not all "millenials" (horrible patronising term term) espouse those ideas anyway.  In the same way that not all "baby-boomers" are died in the wool Conservative voters just because they are aged circa 70 years old, or everybody that grew up in the 60s are hippes.

didds
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2019, 10:52:10 AM »

Well, thatís what the media (or someone controlling it) want you to believe †Undecided

and of course not all "millenials" (horrible patronising term term) espouse those ideas anyway. †In the same way that not all "baby-boomers" are died in the wool Conservative voters just because they are aged circa 70 years old, or everybody that grew up in the 60s are hippes.

didds

It is not a term that I generally use but I'm not sure that I can see why it is patronising. It just identifies a generation born between specific dates (1981 - 1996), as does "baby boomer" of which I am one , having been born in the last year of the period defined by that term (1946 - 1964).
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

Omnia ti bi felicia

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2019, 12:14:45 PM »

and of course not all "millenials" (horrible patronising term term) espouse those ideas anyway. †In the same way that not all "baby-boomers" are died in the wool Conservative voters just because they are aged circa 70 years old, or everybody that grew up in the 60s are hippes.

didds

It is not a term that I generally use but I'm not sure that I can see why it is patronising. It just identifies a generation born between specific dates (1981 - 1996), as does "baby boomer" of which I am one , having been born in the last year of the period defined by that term (1946 - 1964).

If we're going to label people by the era of their birth, what are those who were hatched berween 1965 & 1980 called?
(Anarcho, Hippie, Baby Boomer asking for my kids.) Grin

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
iandiddams

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2019, 12:24:32 PM »

My diswquiet is that the term is seemingly always used in a derogatory context.  Which is not my perception with baby-boomer, gen-X, hippy etc (though hippy has some negative social connotations in general speech I feel)

and wrt to the standard negative accusuations aimed at millenials, we should remember who created the society that the negative perceptions are based in and around - it wasn't them.

I'm probably somewhat prickly over the term as my three kids are effectively in that bracket and the accusuations often bandied around are effectively aimed at them
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2019, 01:41:34 PM »

didds

If we're going to label people by the era of their birth, what are those who were hatched berween 1965 & 1980 called?
(Anarcho, Hippie, Baby Boomer asking for my kids.) Grin

The official term for that period is Generation X and indeed Generation Y is also a recognised term for those otherwise referred to as Millenials
Fegg

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2019, 02:17:01 PM »

Meanwhile...
Tents.

We finally said farewell to a twenty year old 2-man Eurohike tent. My daughter packed it up in its bag, as usual on the Sunday morning, and placed the bag on a nearby pile of neatly collected detritus in F6B. Sad to see it go, but in the hope someone else might find use for it.

Within two minutes a couple whom I can only describe as mature and full sized 'Borrowers' appeared and took it as they foraged among each pile. It seemed fitting, and we were happy.
Johnny Mann

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2019, 09:11:17 AM »

Wasnít there a misapprehension some years ago, that you could leave you tent at the festival and it would be recycled and used to help provide emergency shelter in parts of the world where it was needed, for people fleeing war zones etc. So maybe some folk abandoned them in the mistaken belief that to do so was a good deed. Perhaps tent manufacturers could help by making better tents in the first place aimed at the festival goer? There does seem to be a glut every summer, of ďfestivalĒ tents on sale, that donít appear to have been designed with prolonged use in mind. Having said that, I was in a borrowed £30 Tesco dome tent. It was supposed to be 2 man, but I could only sleep in it diagonally, and I am 5í10Ē!  Even so, it was brilliant. Being low profile it stood up to the worst of the winds and kept me dry  Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: