TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 17, 2019, 02:43:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Abandoned tents or not?  (Read 2130 times)
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« on: August 28, 2019, 09:26:44 AM »

I was wondering what the camping fields looked like when everybody had left (any photos).

The weather was poor, so wouldn't have encouraged people to tidy up.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 09:49:52 AM »

i didn't pack up until about 2pm on f2 and it looked remarkably tidy

it'll be fine.......
iandiddams

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 10:05:15 AM »

We ;left field 4 very late morning circa 1130 or so...  still plenty of people about but the cleared sections showed no abandoned tents etc.

didds
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 10:14:38 AM »

A few broken tents piled on top of rubbish bags, but nothing awful.

See What I did in 2018  for a selection of my photos.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 11:15:15 AM »

There is a campaign group trying to suggest that festivals charge an extra £25 for camping that you get back when you take away your tent. Pretty well thought out , how are they going to administer that then? You would think that their energies could be directed towards something more worthwhile. I am convinced that some people are just permanent protesters and move from cause to cause whatever the subject. We certainly had some when we were trying to save a music venue, they had no interest in looking for alternate premise.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
iandiddams

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 11:58:42 AM »

There is a campaign group trying to suggest that festivals charge an extra £25 for camping that you get back when you take away your tent. Pretty well thought out , how are they going to administer that then?

exactly.  The logistics or refunding 150,00 tent refunds at the gate at glasto beggars belief.

Of course it will probably be some sort of digital refund taking weeks to appear, losing some refunds completely and open to some fraudulent activity.  But what could possibly go wrong

didds
spooley (Simon)

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 03:20:18 PM »

We left 7b about 11:30 ~ midday-ish on Sunday by which time most tents were packed away.
Most of those that were left seemed to have people in attendance, slowly packing up. None of the remaining tents looked as if they'd been abandoned.
Leaving the field, we took our bag of rubbish over to the skip at the top of the field and there seemed to be quite a lot of tents and tent-parts in the big skip -- presumably casualties of the weather.

I thought 7b (and the concert field as we left each night) was actually left quite a bit less untidy than in previous years.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Local Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 10:15:56 PM »

Took the boat passed field 7 on Sunday. Not a sign of a tent or rubbish anywhere.

Paul

StephenB
something about the grinding beat

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

Some boy to be one boy - I should have been twins

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 12:32:02 AM »

I too was very impressed with the way Field 7 was left, especially considering the devastation done all over the place by the wind. Any tent-like articles if they were abandoned were done so neatly in the few main piles of rubbish that were left. There was certainly no wanton abandonment.

On another note, while I'm all for "environmental" campaigns, the one notice (although quite hard to read) that kept popping up on the screen seemed to be saying "tents aren't recyclable, so don't leave them behind you at Cropredy - take them home and put them in the landfill there" Fine for Cropredy of course, but hardly diverting them from landfill? (or did I miss something?)

If I could be any animal I wanted...
there'd be something really heavy going on.
Brian Green

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 01:14:05 AM »

My 10 years old tent survived getting twisted into all sorts of shapes by the wind and kept the rain out too!
Here's to the next 10 years Smiley
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 08:40:50 AM »

On another note, while I'm all for "environmental" campaigns, the one notice (although quite hard to read) that kept popping up on the screen seemed to be saying "tents aren't recyclable, so don't leave them behind you at Cropredy - take them home and put them in the landfill there" Fine for Cropredy of course, but hardly diverting them from landfill? (or did I miss something?)

Actually there is a strong argument that land fill is preferable to shipping to the far east where it's thrown in the sea.  

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 11:29:26 AM »

It is good to read all of this about Cropredy but what I find extraordinary about the pictures emerging from Reading & Leeds is that is not just small, cheap pop up tents that have been abandoned. It is big family sized frame and dome tents, cool bags, gazebos etc. When I bought my tent 15 or so years ago it was an expensive item and I expected it to last for a long time (which it has, though it has not been used recently). The weather at the weekend was fine. There was no damage to these tents. Can people really afford to just buy everything new every time they go to a festival and then abandon it on this scale? Quite apart from the environmental issues it seems to say something worrying about the values of the people attending these events.
iandiddams

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 01:48:31 PM »

It is good to read all of this about Cropredy but what I find extraordinary about the pictures emerging from Reading & Leeds is that is not just small, cheap pop up tents that have been abandoned. It is big family sized frame and dome tents, cool bags, gazebos etc.

elsewhere Ive seen suggestioins that many of these tents are not just covered in mud when abandoned...  Sad

didds
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 01:49:28 PM »

I work with and know quite a few people who go to Reading and similar festivals including Glastonbury, and they always leave everything behind. When questioned they tell me "that's what it's all about" or "everyone else does - why shouldn't I?"

They say they want a few days to eat, drink, ingest, snort, smoke and shag whatever they want with no comeback and no responsibility for their actions. It's a sort of hedonistic anarchy. They see nothing wrong with this - they're the entitled "because your worth it" generation.

The worst I've seen is about 10 years ago, part of the backpackers field was disgusting, but I was told it was local kids on cheap tickets, dropped off by their Dads. They were just there to get drunk and generally misbehave. They certainly weren't interested in Fairport.

I don't think the general Cropredy crowd is looking for this kind of experience. They're happy with a few tokes, happy cakes or alcohol - or even just a slight deviation from their normal diet, but at the end of it they want to pack up, put their rubbish and recycling in bags and drive home. We don't get the type of behaviour you see at other festivals (examples: spray painting someone's car, setting fire to tents or piling everyone's tent onto a big bonfire, stealing clothes from tents) and long may it stay like this.

Confusion will be my epitaph
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 02:31:15 PM »

I work with and know quite a few people who go to Reading and similar festivals including Glastonbury, and they always leave everything behind. When questioned they tell me "that's what it's all about" or "everyone else does - why shouldn't I?"

So my questions would be, how can buying all this equipment and then just abandoning it be "what its all about" & how can they afford to do that every time anyway?
iandiddams

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 02:48:45 PM »

Bridgwit's post has made me wonder...  particularly with the anecdote about a bunch of kids dropped off by a parent etc

the backpackers field - free camping IIRC.

Do you have to demonstrate you have a festival ticket to camp for free as a backpacker?  Or can somebody walk/cycle/bus into cropredy and camp fro free?  (which would seem to be counter productive on multiple levels)

I did have a quick look at the FAQs but coulnd't see anything (probably my rubbish searching skills!)

Ah - I see the kids were on cheap tickets (presumably cos they were < 16 or whatever?)

didds

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 02:53:10 PM »

So my questions would be, how can buying all this equipment and then just abandoning it be "what its all about" & how can they afford to do that every time anyway?
Because they are happy to allocate the cost to their "fun money". They also complain about not being paid enough.

I also think there's a certain amount of peer pressure - your mates would laugh at you for packing up your tent and making sure you pull out all the pegs so the cows don't eat them by mistake. (It's what old people do". I'm considered an odd bod because I do my best to reduce, reuse, recycle. It's seen as naff. It's not cool.

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 02:55:49 PM »

Bridgwit's post has made me wonder...  particularly with the anecdote about a bunch of kids dropped off by a parent etc

the backpackers field - free camping IIRC.

Do you have to demonstrate you have a festival ticket to camp for free as a backpacker?  Or can somebody walk/cycle/bus into cropredy and camp fro free?  (which would seem to be counter productive on multiple levels)

I did have a quick look at the FAQs but coulnd't see anything (probably my rubbish searching skills!)

Ah - I see the kids were on cheap tickets (presumably cos they were < 16 or whatever?)

didds

Sorry to double post. I understood locals get tickets at a reduced price and I imagine most of them give the tickets to their kids & their friends.

I think they still need to produce tickets to get into the field but I'm not 100% on that. I'm quite sure others could join them in the backpackers field without too much hassle.

JennyB
chums at Bloodstock

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 03:15:08 PM »

I was in the backpackers' field, and we didn't have to show anything to set-up our tent. We just wandered on (didn't even know it was the backpacker's field, just followed some other people with tents!) plonked our stuff down, and got to it. It did make me wonder a little...
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2019, 03:26:31 PM »

I was in the backpackers' field, and we didn't have to show anything to set-up our tent. We just wandered on (didn't even know it was the backpacker's field, just followed some other people with tents!) plonked our stuff down, and got to it. It did make me wonder a little...

You will certainly have had your wristband checked on/off the campsite/pavilion/arena entrances...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: