TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:56:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2019 Top Turn Vote - Results  (Read 40149 times)
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2019, 08:01:49 PM »

Talkawhile did get mentions in the programmes when I first started,for quite a few years..haven't noticed it recently, though.

That might (or might not) have something to do with aforementioned Saturday lunchtime handkerchief waving bloke...?

Funny you should say that, it crossed my mind, too...I do enjoy him but he dislikes TAWers who have other opinions....does he have that much influence?
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2019, 08:40:23 PM »

Talkawhile did get mentions in the programmes when I first started,for quite a few years..haven't noticed it recently, though.

That might (or might not) have something to do with aforementioned Saturday lunchtime handkerchief waving bloke...?

Funny you should say that, it crossed my mind, too...I do enjoy him but he dislikes TAWers who have other opinions....does he have that much influence?

It's nothing to do with Dickie Digance, but has everything to do with Fairport having a more professional setup post 2004.

I'm very happy with the way TAW fits in alongside Facebook Fairporters, it's two entirely different setups, both with much the same aim.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2019, 08:44:44 PM »

It's nothing to do with Dickie Digance, but has everything to do with Fairport having a more professional setup post 2004.

I'm very happy with the way TAW fits in alongside Facebook Fairporters, it's two entirely different setups, both with much the same aim.

Ah is that when it stopped being mentioned...was that the year of all the changes, I can’t remember...?
Yes, I do read the facebook page just I am not on Facebook myself. Not suggesting everyone should just do one or the other when I mentioned it earlier, just that quite a few probably prefer that as it’s commonly used. I hope TAW keeps going anyhow!  Smiley
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2019, 09:03:31 PM »

The Poll is directed at TAWfolk, thus the results are not distorted, but representative.

Yes they are representative of TAW folk but TAW folk or at least active TAW folk are a smaller and possibly narrower demographic than they once were.
How do you expect us to "fix" that?

I don't. I am not sure why you are taking this amiss Andy. I wasn't criticising. It was merely an observation that TAW has reverted to a much smaller community now and the Fairport centric nature of that community may explain the poll results (which were more varied when there were more voices here).
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2019, 10:54:31 PM »

How do you expect us to "fix" that?

How many of the "newer" attendees (I'm one - this was only my third year) even know that TAW exists?

Perhaps some publicity for TAW (On the fence where all the "jokes" are? Sent out with the tickets? In the programme?) would re-enegise the forum?

Also, can we have a weather weighting for the votes next year? I think that anybody who stayed through Frank Turner's - excellent - set this year should get double or triple votes for it  Smiley

Can I suggest the bloke who kicks off the Saturday for this?

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 you are a bad man David

The Dude abides
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2019, 09:20:34 AM »

From what I hear and see, many people use the facebook group now, instead.

Shame, because I for one love Talkawhile and I am possibly not the only one who prefers not to go down the Facebook route at present.

The vote is a valid representation of TAWers’ views so it is a valid poll.

Agree...I only ever use Facebook very very occasionally and merely to find out what’s going on at a particular event. I may be in the minority but I regard Facebook as highly dangerous and feel much safer using TAW than any other forum. Unfortunately most people I meet at Cropredy have never heard of TAW.

Anyway back on topic, I tend to not give votes to Fairport as it’s their festival but I like to rank the acts I see which don’t play there every year. Glad to see that votes went to a wide variety of performers this year. I voted mainly for the Waterboys, Daphne’s Flight, Wilson & Wakeman and Frank Turner perhaps demonstrating my own varied tastes

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: