TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:32:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2019 Top Turn Vote - Results  (Read 39380 times)
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« on: August 27, 2019, 11:46:46 AM »

The poll has closed, the results are in and here are the top 7 (Who got over 40% of the winners vote) :

Richard Thompson  604
Fairport Convention496
The Waterboys384
Martin Barree Band348
Daphne's Flight336
Wilson & Wakeman288
Frank Turner256

Home teams top the charts again.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 05:10:59 PM »

Well, does that seem fair?

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 05:35:49 PM »

Well, does that seem fair?

It all depends on what you mean by "fair". The result is what it is - and fairly inevitable at that.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Wandering Steve

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 07:01:06 PM »

I’d do the vote without fairport
Many forumites would vote for them just for turning up and I’m sure some only turn up for one day to see them play and have no idea who any of the other acts are....
I’m surprised there isn’t a similar vote for the winter tour Roll Eyes
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 07:53:09 PM »

I am delighted that my hero, the maestro himself, has bagged so many votes. If I recall correctly, Fairport and RT don’t always bag the top spot.

Anyway. This year’s sets were superb from both, so I believe this IS fair. All the others in that list were brilliant, too ( I didn’t see Frank Turner myself).

There are plenty in the 30-50 bracket (and much younger) who love Fairport and RT, especially those brought up on Cropredy Festival itself.

I know it’s not supposed to be a folk festival, but actually it’s the new, young (and not so new, not so young) folk acts who make it for me personally...I’d prefer more of those than,say, the eighties stuff but I see what Wandering Steve is saying.

Maybe it SHOULD be a folk festival and define its theme a bit more. Folk festivals do seem to be popular, Shrewbury seemed super from the bits I tuned into. End of random ramblings.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 09:02:03 PM »

Quite a decent vote for Frank, considering he must have had the lowest crowd of the weekend.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 09:04:28 PM »

Quite a decent vote for Frank, considering he must have had the lowest crowd of the weekend.
Yes I did go to bed half way through.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 09:16:05 AM »

Edit: At this point, a different discussion emerged, which has been spun off into its own thread...

We seem to have moved a long way away from comments on the Top Turn Vote!

Some people may vote for FC because it's their festival.  Others in their comments say they tend not to vote for FC for the same reason.  The results seemed fair to me on the whole, though I didn't think RT was quite as good this year as 2 years ago, and would have put him below Fairport.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 10:22:17 AM »

I think the result actually says a lot about Talkawhile rather than the festival itself. I wasn't there so I can't judge but there were certainly plenty of years when the Fairport family did not top the poll. Those however were when TAW was a far more dynamic, lively place than it is now with constant interaction between a large core of members day in day out.

The constituency of TAW has undoubtedly shrunk and activity on the threads is a fraction of what it once was. I suspect therefore that most of us that remain faithful to TAW also remain faithful to Fairport. What got us to Cropredy and what brought us to TAW in the first place was Fairport and for many of this audience (which is only a small part of the Cropredy audience) Fairport remain the raison d'etre for both institutions.

So the poll results are probably distorted by TAW's current demographic and may not be representative of festival goers as a whole.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 01:47:38 PM »

I think the result actually says a lot about Talkawhile rather than the festival itself. I wasn't there so I can't judge but there were certainly plenty of years when the Fairport family did not top the poll. Those however were when TAW was a far more dynamic, lively place than it is now with constant interaction between a large core of members day in day out.

The constituency of TAW has undoubtedly shrunk and activity on the threads is a fraction of what it once was. I suspect therefore that most of us that remain faithful to TAW also remain faithful to Fairport. What got us to Cropredy and what brought us to TAW in the first place was Fairport and for many of this audience (which is only a small part of the Cropredy audience) Fairport remain the raison d'etre for both institutions.

So the poll results are probably distorted by TAW's current demographic and may not be representative of festival goers as a whole.

A good point, well made.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 02:32:38 PM »

The Poll is directed at TAWfolk, thus the results are not distorted, but representative.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 03:25:58 PM »

The Poll is directed at TAWfolk, thus the results are not distorted, but representative.

Yes they are representative of TAW folk but TAW folk or at least active TAW folk are a smaller and possibly narrower demographic than they once were.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 05:16:50 PM »

Yes they are representative of TAW folk but TAW folk or at least active TAW folk are a smaller and possibly narrower demographic than they once were.
How do you expect us to "fix" that?

Fegg

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 05:20:54 PM »

There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza...
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 05:51:00 PM »

Glad this thread is back on track. They do seem to be getting hijacked by ‘who should be appearing at Cropredy’ type themes.

Shame Tidelines didn’t feature in the top few, they were fabulous. But, as stated earlier, I am happy with the result  Smiley
PhilipK

Loc: Hampshire, UK

Looking forward to Cropredy 2024...

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2019, 06:25:55 PM »

How many of the "newer" attendees (I'm one - this was only my third year) even know that TAW exists?

Perhaps some publicity for TAW (On the fence where all the "jokes" are? Sent out with the tickets? In the programme?) would re-enegise the forum?

Also, can we have a weather weighting for the votes next year? I think that anybody who stayed through Frank Turner's - excellent - set this year should get double or triple votes for it  Smiley

--
Philip
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 06:41:23 PM »

From what I hear and see, many people use the facebook group now, instead.

Shame, because I for one love Talkawhile and I am possibly not the only one who prefers not to go down the Facebook route at present.

The vote is a valid representation of TAWers’ views so it is a valid poll.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 07:12:20 PM »

How many of the "newer" attendees (I'm one - this was only my third year) even know that TAW exists?

Perhaps some publicity for TAW (On the fence where all the "jokes" are? Sent out with the tickets? In the programme?) would re-enegise the forum?

Also, can we have a weather weighting for the votes next year? I think that anybody who stayed through Frank Turner's - excellent - set this year should get double or triple votes for it  Smiley

Can I suggest the bloke who kicks off the Saturday for this?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2019, 07:43:26 PM »

Talkawhile did get mentions in the programmes when I first started,for quite a few years..haven't noticed it recently, though.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2019, 07:59:30 PM »

Talkawhile did get mentions in the programmes when I first started,for quite a few years..haven't noticed it recently, though.

That might (or might not) have something to do with aforementioned Saturday lunchtime handkerchief waving bloke...?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: