TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:46:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 361789 times)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1580 on: March 19, 2024, 04:06:54 PM »

Just booked - Glen Hansard at the Paramount on September 23!

Love him, can’t get enough
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1581 on: March 21, 2024, 03:16:11 PM »

Just booked - Jeff Lynne's ELO at the Moody Center, Austin, October 15!

This is the final tour, he says, and I believe him. There's a chance I'll have to miss this due to travel, but I secured a ticket nonetheless because I absolutely loved the show I saw a few years ago and I will try to negotiate my travel dates around it.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1582 on: March 22, 2024, 06:34:46 PM »

Craziness indeed.

Just booked:

Pretenders: August 7, ACL Live!

10cc: August 10, ACL Live!

Calendar is filling up fast.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1583 on: March 25, 2024, 04:38:27 PM »

Last minute booking to see the legendary Herb Alpert tonight at the Paramount!

He's 88 years young and probably won't hit Austin again, so who's up for A Taste of Honey?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1584 on: March 25, 2024, 04:39:59 PM »

He's 88 years young and probably won't hit Austin again, so who's up for A Taste of Honey?

This thread needs to be renamed John's Upcoming Gigs.  You're keeping the industry alive singlehandedly, my friend....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1585 on: March 25, 2024, 05:23:16 PM »

This thread needs to be renamed John's Upcoming Gigs.  You're keeping the industry alive singlehandedly, my friend....

All these music legends having a pint down the pub:

'Alright Bob ?'
'Heey Neil Yoooooooung, How you doin'?' (Short barely in tune harmonica solo.)
'Not too bad, your Dylanness. I'm off on tour tomorrow.'
'Cooooooool. How many roads are you going doooooown, man ?'
'Oooh...a lot.'
'Are you going to Texas ?'
'Of course. Nobody misses a chance to see John from Austin. He's OK for a Southern Man.'
'That, my friend,' (hoot, parpy parpy hoot), 'is the trooooth. If you see him, say hello. More wine ?'
'Don't mind if I do, and I will.'

A few hours later...
'Hey Herb !'
'Hi Neil !'
'You see that guy ? That guy is John from Austin !'
'No way ?'
'Yes way !'

Enjoy your Herb.
I do,occasionally.

Well I never did..
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1586 on: March 26, 2024, 10:04:48 AM »

I'm going to have to take a screenshot of that posting Mike. It brought a smile to my face this morning.  Smiley

We truly have a gig-going legend in our midst. And I'll certainly be buying John From Austin's memoire when it's published. The musicians will be queuing up to write the foreword.

Grin

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1587 on: March 26, 2024, 08:37:46 PM »

Ha! Being a slightly compulsive accountant, I keep a running gig list. I was averaging between 40 and 50 gigs a year by the time Covid shut us down, and I've been creeping back up. My personal best is 54 in 2016. Given my taste for aging artists, I suspect we'll be near zero within the next 10 years. What shall I do with all that free time?

Jon Batiste tomorrow! Followed by the musical Wicked, Bob Dylan, and Steve Hackett over the next two weeks. Herbie Hancock is on my radar.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1588 on: March 26, 2024, 08:45:54 PM »

I'll certainly be buying John From Austin's memoire when it's published. The musicians will be queuing up to write the foreword.

Better get a move on with that then. John doesn't usually go and see anyone under the age of 65.  Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1589 on: March 27, 2024, 10:06:28 AM »

Ha! Being a slightly compulsive accountant, I keep a running gig list. I was averaging between 40 and 50 gigs a year by the time Covid shut us down, and I've been creeping back up. My personal best is 54 in 2016. Given my taste for aging artists, I suspect we'll be near zero within the next 10 years. What shall I do with all that free time?

The most gigs I've been to in recent years was 25 in 2011 and that included three festivals. TBH lack of money (and then Covid) has been a major reason for limiting my gig-going over the last 20 years or so.

Back on topic, Mikey Kenney is playing in Morecambe a week on Saturday and one just announced is Martin Stephenson & The Daintees in Kendal but that's not until the autumn.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1590 on: March 27, 2024, 10:20:17 AM »

Always been about quality for me rather than quantity although I suspect I was in the c.40 p.a. category for a few years in the early 90s.  Probably more like 10-15 a year these days.  But I pick and choose venues and settings for ones that will work for me as much as possible...I find so many gigs almost intolerable these days.  The number of artists I'd go see anywhere anyhow I could probably fit on one hand (and funnily enough one of those has listed some gigs in the Autumn for the first time in 5 years just recently, although whether they happen or not remains to be seen...)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1591 on: March 27, 2024, 03:00:14 PM »

I know a couple of folks who go to a show almost every night. Their approach is to check the papers/Internet every day to see who's playing and plot their evening.

My approach is completely different. I see artists I want to see, usually legacy artists, if they happen to be in the neighborhood. If that necessitates seeing three shows in one week, I'll do it. Due to population and economic growth, Austin has only become a destination within the last couple of decades. In the old days, I used to have to travel to bigger cities to see the artists I wanted to see.
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #1592 on: March 28, 2024, 09:07:34 AM »

I'm afraid for me it's about cost nothing else. Can i afford a ticket? many times the answer is no.

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1593 on: March 28, 2024, 10:12:17 AM »

I'm afraid for me it's about cost nothing else. Can i afford a ticket? many times the answer is no.

I understand that, Tasha.

However, I'm off tomorrow for an Amsterdam River Cruise, featuring Thea Gilmore, Steve Knightly and Track Dogs. Never done anything like this before, so I'm looking forward, not only to the music, but the whole experience. It's 4 nights on board, with optional day trips to places of interest along the way. As I'm unlikely to be going away anywhere for an actual holiday this year, I'm not concerned too much about the cost. I'll let you know if it was worth it when I get back.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1594 on: March 28, 2024, 10:58:56 AM »

Best of luck with that, Mick. A lot of ferry & boat trips cancelled this weekend due to the foul weather.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1595 on: March 28, 2024, 05:38:42 PM »

I'm flying to Amsterdam tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully, the weather won't be as bad over there. Fingers crossed!

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1596 on: March 28, 2024, 07:39:40 PM »

Robin and Bina Williamson at Stratford...tickets now on sale for the grand sum of £12.96.

https://www.stratfordplay.co.uk/whats-on-stratford-playhouse (got to 17th Oct)

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1597 on: March 28, 2024, 10:01:52 PM »

Robin and Bina Williamson at Stratford...tickets now on sale for the grand sum of £12.96.

https://www.stratfordplay.co.uk/whats-on-stratford-playhouse (got to 17th Oct)

Saw them once, shambolic . Can't believe I sat through it.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
JohnP69

« Reply #1598 on: March 29, 2024, 07:57:28 AM »

EX-TC in Hull on Sunday night
The songs of XTC featuring original drummer Terry Chambers.
Andy Partridge has given the project his blessing and even came up with the name.

https://youtu.be/VKals3CZvl4?si=t6duVnG8tXz2QnTW
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #1599 on: March 29, 2024, 12:02:58 PM »

EX-TC in Hull on Sunday night
The songs of XTC featuring original drummer Terry Chambers.
Andy Partridge has given the project his blessing and even came up with the name.

https://youtu.be/VKals3CZvl4?si=t6duVnG8tXz2QnTW

They played a show at The Victoria pub in Swindon a while back as a four piece. I went along with an open mind and actually quite enjoyed it. Terry can certainly still hit those drums with precision & power, and the other band members were very accomplished.

I have to admit though to being surprised at the time to read that Andy was fine for this lineup to tour using the EXTC name, bearing in mind that Colin (Moulding) had opted for the much more considered TC&I band name in his earlier reunion with Terry. I suppose it's only a name at the end of the day, and it must help ticket sales...  
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 12:28:17 PM by Glen S » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: