TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:12:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 80   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 344727 times)
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #640 on: February 16, 2022, 11:30:36 AM »

Sharon Shannon in Birmingham tonight - fully sold out, which is unusual these days.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #641 on: February 16, 2022, 05:04:27 PM »

Thinking about "Kansas" at ACL Live Thursday evening.

The current band has a whopping two original members - drummer Phil Ehart and guitarist Rich Williams. The bassist and violinist are longtime members, who directly replaced original members back in the 1980s. Original singer Steve Walsh retired several years ago, with his voice in sharp decline. He was replaced by a journeyman singer/truck driver named Ronnie Platt, who had a long career singing in midwestern bands covering Journey, Foreigner, Bad Company, and Kansas. I watched some Youtube videos and Platt has an athletic voice. I have no doubt he can deliver the Kansas songs.

I think I should do this.

The two Kansas studio albums that feature Ronnie Platt are very decent. He's definitely a strong singer though weirdly, he sounds more like John Elefante than Steve Walsh, to me. Regardless, he works well within the band. Should be an excellent show.

Booked!  Smiley
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #642 on: February 17, 2022, 09:25:57 AM »

Thinking about "Kansas" at ACL Live Thursday evening.

The current band has a whopping two original members - drummer Phil Ehart and guitarist Rich Williams. The bassist and violinist are longtime members, who directly replaced original members back in the 1980s. Original singer Steve Walsh retired several years ago, with his voice in sharp decline. He was replaced by a journeyman singer/truck driver named Ronnie Platt, who had a long career singing in midwestern bands covering Journey, Foreigner, Bad Company, and Kansas. I watched some Youtube videos and Platt has an athletic voice. I have no doubt he can deliver the Kansas songs.

I think I should do this.

The two Kansas studio albums that feature Ronnie Platt are very decent. He's definitely a strong singer though weirdly, he sounds more like John Elefante than Steve Walsh, to me. Regardless, he works well within the band. Should be an excellent show.

Booked!  Smiley

Love to hear their thoughts after the show. They are playing in London in the Autumn and I'm very tempted to go.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #643 on: February 22, 2022, 10:52:04 AM »

Show of Hands are touring with a Spain-based Anglo-Irish-American band "The Track Dogs" -they are calling the tour "The Dog Show Sessions" (see https://showofhands.co.uk/show-of-hands-tour-dates)

I hadn't heard of the Track Dogs before, but I was very impressed with a live video I found on YouTube (it's from Shrewsbury Fest 2019) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulwVAba9M0w&t=1184s

This looks seriously interesting. We'll be going to the Wimborne gig on May 11th
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #644 on: February 23, 2022, 10:42:58 PM »

Just stumbled across Diana Ross's upcoming gig for a local charity at the Circuit of the Americas Germania Insurance Amphitheatre on April 2.

This place can hold up to 14,000, and by my count she has sold about 400 reserved seating tickets (and probably a few on the lawn). I'm embarrassed for my home town.  Angry She's a legend and she won't be doing this forever.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #645 on: February 24, 2022, 09:39:08 AM »

Just stumbled across Diana Ross's upcoming gig for a local charity at the Circuit of the Americas Germania Insurance Amphitheatre on April 2.

This place can hold up to 14,000, and by my count she has sold about 400 reserved seating tickets (and probably a few on the lawn). I'm embarrassed for my home town.  Angry She's a legend and she won't be doing this forever.
Looks like it's been happening a while....

https://www.tampabay.com/archive/2000/06/08/sale-of-diana-ross-concert-tickets-far-from-supreme/

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #646 on: February 24, 2022, 11:00:53 AM »

GoGo Penguin at the Albert Hall in Manchester next week. For those that haven't heard of them they are a Manchester jazz trio (piano, bass, drums) but take influences from outside jazz eg trip-hop, electronica, rock, classical etc (it says on wikipedia). Never seen them before, and it'll be the first time at this venue, plus I've not seen my friend for over a year so looking forward to this one.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #647 on: February 24, 2022, 11:22:16 AM »

GoGo Penguin at the Albert Hall in Manchester next week. For those that haven't heard of them they are a Manchester jazz trio (piano, bass, drums) but take influences from outside jazz eg trip-hop, electronica, rock, classical etc (it says on wikipedia). Never seen them before, and it'll be the first time at this venue, plus I've not seen my friend for over a year so looking forward to this one.

Great venue!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #648 on: February 24, 2022, 03:38:27 PM »

Great venue!

Great band ! Any pre-conceptions about Jazz should be left at the door - they're even better live than they are on record...
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #649 on: February 24, 2022, 03:40:00 PM »

Great venue!

Great band ! Any pre-conceptions about Jazz should be left at the door - they're even better live than they are on record...

I'll admit I've never heard of them and don't normally go closer to 'jazz' than my Sun Ra sh1t.  Can either of you recommend anything to listen to - live or otherwise?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #650 on: February 24, 2022, 03:50:30 PM »

Great venue!

I'll admit I've never heard of them and don't normally go closer to 'jazz' than my Sun Ra sh1t.  Can either of you recommend anything to listen to - live or otherwise?

Their album "v2.0" featuring the tracks "Murmuration" and "Hopopono" should give you a good idea...
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #651 on: February 24, 2022, 04:48:54 PM »

Great venue!

Their album "v2.0" featuring the tracks "Murmuration" and "Hopopono" should give you a good idea...

I've been listening more to their latest self titled album. Atomised is a good track, but to be honest when I'm listening I'm not really looking at the titles. I agree with Dan, Jazz is a misleading label for them really, they are a 3-piece instrumental band with some jazz influence, but there's no way you'd mistake them for the Bill Evans trio.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #652 on: February 25, 2022, 11:16:24 AM »

I hadn't heard of them before, but quite impressed with what I heard on YouTube. I'd be interested in they play near me
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #653 on: March 17, 2022, 04:43:32 PM »

Stones in Hyde Park 3rd July? Pricey, but this really could be the last time... we're thinking about it.

(no Crim supporting them though  Sad )

Flobbadob!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #654 on: March 17, 2022, 07:46:45 PM »

Saw the prices for Anfield and decided not to bother.

Dexys tour in September cancelled due to Kevin's motorcycle accident!
Can we gather from that he's into late 60's Zim now?I

I can put my returned £90 towards the Horslips box, cheers Kev.

The Dude abides
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #655 on: March 18, 2022, 07:50:08 AM »

Mick and Keef would have to pay me to go to that cowshed...

We decided to go for Hyde Park, as Badlands Records in Cheltenham had a limited number of gig +hotel packages. Fortunately for us we didn't prevaricate too long, as we grabbed the last two places.

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #656 on: March 18, 2022, 09:48:59 AM »

Saw the prices for Anfield and decided not to bother.

Dexys tour in September cancelled due to Kevin's motorcycle accident!
Can we gather from that he's into late 60's Zim now?I

I can put my returned £90 towards the Horslips box, cheers Kev.

How much are the Anfield tickets?

Sad news about the Dexys tour.  Is he alright?

PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #657 on: March 18, 2022, 10:23:17 AM »

I think about £85 was the cheapest I saw. On general sale today via the usual ticket agents...

Flobbadob!
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #658 on: March 18, 2022, 01:14:23 PM »

Just announced - Roger Waters at the Moody Center in Austin October 8!

Definitely going to this one.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #659 on: March 18, 2022, 02:09:03 PM »

Just announced - Roger Waters at the Moody Center in Austin October 8!

Definitely going to this one.

Is there a 'theme' to it (playing any particular album or era or whatever)?

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 80   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: