TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:13:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 80   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 344838 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #580 on: October 29, 2021, 10:40:55 PM »

For that price, I'll fly to Malta and have a nice vacation.

£75 + booking fees for the poor people apparently (God alone knows what the bigwigs pay)?  In the scheme of things it's not as bad as it could be but really, I'd rather stick hot pins in my eyes.  I went to that Who/Dylan/EC/Alanis gig in '96.  That cost £8 (£15.36 at 2020 prices).

Was that really £8?  Shocked I was there too. Mind you, after Clapton's turgid performance I would still like at least half of that refunded.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #581 on: October 30, 2021, 05:32:44 PM »

For that price, I'll fly to Malta and have a nice vacation.

£75 + booking fees for the poor people apparently (God alone knows what the bigwigs pay)?  In the scheme of things it's not as bad as it could be but really, I'd rather stick hot pins in my eyes.  I went to that Who/Dylan/EC/Alanis gig in '96.  That cost £8 (£15.36 at 2020 prices).

Was that really £8?  Shocked I was there too. Mind you, after Clapton's turgid performance I would still like at least half of that refunded.

It was a discounted gig though...that's not what gig tickets were going for then...probably should have been £20 or so...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #582 on: October 30, 2021, 08:03:16 PM »

Every thing else was great though.  Quadrophenia in particular.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #583 on: October 31, 2021, 10:00:19 AM »

RT at the Manchester Opera House tonight and (hopefully) 3 Daft Monkeys at the Bullingdon in Oxford on Friday, although that is now in some doubt pending PCR test results for two of the band.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #584 on: November 05, 2021, 04:49:58 PM »

On sale now, Kraftwerk, ACL Live next summer.

This is under consideration. I own no Kraftwerk but am well aware of this group's legendary status.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #585 on: November 08, 2021, 05:03:45 PM »

The Tuesday Night Music Club in Couldson has a very good programme of (mostly blues-related) gigs over the next 9 months, please see http://www.thetuesdaynightmusicclub.co.uk/gig-diary.html

The biggest name there is the rather excellent Alvin Youngblood Hart, but many others I'm looking forward to seeing, including Chris Corcoran (" King of Jump Blues Guitar"), Northsyde, Beaux Gris Gris & The Apocalypse and John Verity, formerly of Argent
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #586 on: November 09, 2021, 06:13:25 PM »

Thursday night at The Mohawk, Red River Cultural District, Austin - Cropredy veterans Larkin Poe.

I haven't decided whether to attend. The Mohawk is kind of a s***hole, honestly, with no nearby parking and the neighborhood is pretty rough after dark ("cultural district" my foot). At my age, I can't outrun the muggers.

On the bright side for the performers, it is a 900-capacity venue. Last time they were here, they played several showcases around town during the pre-Covid SXSW music festival, all at small venues such as Antone's. They did open for Elvis Costello at ACL Live a few years before, of course. And, before that, they played the Cactus Cafe (capacity 150) for an audience of about 35-50. I see signs of positive growth in their audience.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #587 on: November 09, 2021, 06:32:02 PM »

Thursday night at The Mohawk, Red River Cultural District, Austin - Cropredy veterans Larkin Poe.

I haven't decided whether to attend. The Mohawk is kind of a s***hole, honestly, with no nearby parking and the neighborhood is pretty rough after dark ("cultural district" my foot). At my age, I can't outrun the muggers.

On the bright side for the performers, it is a 900-capacity venue. Last time they were here, they played several showcases around town during the pre-Covid SXSW music festival, all at small venues such as Antone's. They did open for Elvis Costello at ACL Live a few years before, of course. And, before that, they played the Cactus Cafe (capacity 150) for an audience of about 35-50. I see signs of positive growth in their audience.

Taxi?

The Dude abides
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #588 on: November 09, 2021, 08:30:30 PM »

Taxi?

In Texas?!

Actually, I used to use Cowboy Cabs to get from DFW to my office in West lake... That has a slightly different meaning in Texas...

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #589 on: November 10, 2021, 02:03:11 AM »

Taxi?

In Texas?!

Actually, I used to use Cowboy Cabs to get from DFW to my office in West lake... That has a slightly different meaning in Texas...

Exactly... Maybe a pedi-cab...
PeteD
They choose the path where no one goes...Gercha!

« Reply #590 on: November 14, 2021, 11:01:03 PM »

First indoor gig for me in almost 2 years tomorrow. The Modfather himself Mr Weller is doing his first live performance since the start of the pandemic at The Empire in Coventry.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #591 on: November 15, 2021, 03:23:36 PM »

I've got tickets for my 1st (hopefully) post covid gig - Greta van Fleet next June in Manchester. I introduced my son to them and now he's going with his housemates and I'm going too - I'm sure the prospect of a lift to and from the gig isn't the only reason I'm invited. Added bonus is that I'll be retired by then!
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #592 on: November 15, 2021, 07:35:21 PM »

Just received notification that James Taylor’s European tour in 2022 has been postponed.
Rescheduled dates not yet known.
I had tickets for the Brighton gig 😢

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #593 on: November 16, 2021, 09:53:45 AM »

Jackie Oates and John Spiers coming up next week at Exeter Phoenix. When we lived near Nettlebed we enjoyed seeing these too getting together as a duo and playing the odd guest spot together at the Folk Club, so it will be fun to see them doing a full concert together now.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #594 on: November 16, 2021, 11:49:19 AM »

Three coming up over the next week or so:

Hayseed Dixie/The Jokers (tomorrow)
Emily Capell/Gina Larner (Saturday)
Skinny Lister/The Longest Johns (Nov 24)

Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #595 on: November 17, 2021, 08:07:56 PM »

My next three:

Tim Minchin (28th Nov, BIC)
St Agnes Fountain (14th Dec, New Forest Arts)
The Levellers (15th Dec, S’ton Guildhall)

A good run up to Christmas!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #596 on: November 18, 2021, 10:25:43 AM »

Tomorrow, Cropredy regulars Wilson & Wakeman at Acapela (regulars in that they've both played Cropedy more than once!  Grin ).

They were the last act we saw (same venue) in February 2020 before lockdown so this almost feels like a full circle.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #597 on: November 18, 2021, 11:09:22 AM »

That sounds like fun. I enjoyed them at Cropredy.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #598 on: November 18, 2021, 11:38:35 AM »

Me too Smiley And we remembered to pre-book pizza this time so we'll get a proper table and chair, instead of having to sit on a hard wooden pew  Shocked

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #599 on: November 19, 2021, 09:34:35 AM »

Me too Smiley And we remembered to pre-book pizza this time so we'll get a proper table and chair, instead of having to sit on a hard wooden pew  Shocked

I love the Acapela. Such a great little venue, When you go, don't park in the car park next to it. Apparently it's owned by the pub across the road and they have CCTV, anyone parking for more than 10 minutes is liable to have a fine. They've been in dispute with the pub owners for a while.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 80   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: