TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:43:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 80   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 344918 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #540 on: September 15, 2021, 11:21:44 AM »

I now have tickets for two concerts in the next few weeks - the first real live ones for me since I saw Jack Rutter at Readifolk in March last year!  First up is Martin and Eliza Carthy at The Plough Arts Centre, Great Torrington, next Weds (22nd - that'll be a nice early birthday present), and then Steeleye Span at Queen's Theatre, Barnstaple on 11th Oct.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #541 on: September 15, 2021, 11:44:02 AM »

Del Amitri - Blackpool Opera House on friday, my first time seeing the dels, really looking forward to it after watching the documentary on sky arts

Ooh, what documentary?  Annoyingly, Sky Arts has just disappeared from my Virgin subscription.

It was the Can't go back documentary https://www.sky.com/watch/title/programme/f976d517-108f-467b-acd5-3698228754f0/del-amitri-you-can-t-go-back-f976d517-108f-467b-acd5-3698228754f0
and there are a couple of nice podcasts on the classic scottish albums series about waking hours https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06b2655/episodes/downloads

Jules

Edit: Ah, no it hasn't disappeared, it's just moved. Much relief.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #542 on: September 15, 2021, 12:05:10 PM »

Caravan, Guildhall, Gloucester 8th Oct, courtesy of No.1 son & reciprocated with;

Kathryn Tickell & The Darken, Huntingdon Hall, Worcester 13th Oct.

Haven't been to HH for a good few years. Looking forward to the customary sore arse.  Grin

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #543 on: September 15, 2021, 12:57:06 PM »

A comedy night at The Small Space in Barry hosted by Leroy Brito (check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTi6UikuMzY Welsh people when they see the Bridge)
Crackin'

but Friday is The Big One - Steve Hackett at St David's Hall in Cardiff. I've waited over a year from this! Very excited  Cheesy Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #544 on: September 15, 2021, 06:10:22 PM »

I don't doubt you'll enjoy the Steve Hackett show, Bridg. I saw him and the band in Birmingham last night and as usual it was a combination of powerful music, outstanding musicianship and dramatic visuals - and a shout-out for the Symphony Hall in Brum because the acoustics are quite superb. It was a thrilling demonstration of imaginative and creative rock music  Cool

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #545 on: September 15, 2021, 06:19:11 PM »

a shout-out for the Symphony Hall in Brum because the acoustics are quite superb.

Aye, best acoustics I've experienced.  Saw a Waterboys concert there many years ago which ranks as the best gig I've ever heard.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #546 on: September 15, 2021, 07:33:48 PM »

Amon Duul II in 2022 - Manchester and London.

https://www.songkick.com/artists/211277-amon-duul-ii

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #547 on: September 16, 2021, 09:24:43 AM »

A comedy night at The Small Space in Barry hosted by Leroy Brito (check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTi6UikuMzY Welsh people when they see the Bridge)
Crackin'

but Friday is The Big One - Steve Hackett at St David's Hall in Cardiff. I've waited over a year from this! Very excited  Cheesy Cheesy

Very tempted by Steve Hackett, but the nearest concert is in Plymouth (a bit over an hour away), and the night after I'm seeing Steeleye, and I don't think I can do two concerts on consecutive nights, both involving quite a journey, and both on work nights at the beginning of the week too!  So I'll just have to save up my excitement for seeing him at Cropredy...

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #548 on: September 16, 2021, 11:38:29 AM »

I'm afraid the travelling to concerts too often puts me off. Wednesday's Hackett concert finished at 10.45, I ran to  Birmingham New Street station, missed one train by two minutes, waited thirty minutes for the next one which only went to Coventry, then had to wait twenty minutes for a 'replacement' bus service to Warwick, which was not a 'replacement' at all but just a scheduled bus service that went all around the houses taking fifty minutes to get to where the train would reach in ten minutes  Roll Eyes

(yes, yes, I know...first-world problems  Grin)

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #549 on: September 18, 2021, 09:23:16 AM »

I'm afraid the travelling to concerts too often puts me off. Wednesday's Hackett concert finished at 10.45, I ran to  Birmingham New Street station, missed one train by two minutes, waited thirty minutes for the next one which only went to Coventry, then had to wait twenty minutes for a 'replacement' bus service to Warwick, which was not a 'replacement' at all but just a scheduled bus service that went all around the houses taking fifty minutes to get to where the train would reach in ten minutes  Roll Eyes

(yes, yes, I know...first-world problems  Grin)

As a user of public transport myself, I can sympathise.  Services aren't getting any better, where I live anyway, and it's hard to enjoy the evening with all that hassle about getting there on time and getting back.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #550 on: September 20, 2021, 09:32:39 AM »

Two more concerts booked now - Jackie Oates and John Spiers in Exeter on 24th Nov, and Show of Hands at Exmouth on 3rd Dec.  Would also have booked Spiers and Boden in Exeter, but it clashes with a local classical concert which Mrs Will really wants to go to.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #551 on: September 22, 2021, 03:59:03 PM »

Felix Cavaliere’s Rascals at the One World Theater, Austin, September 25, cancelled or postponed, depending on the source.

No word on the cause, but he also cancelled Arlington, Texas as well.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #552 on: September 22, 2021, 07:28:04 PM »

Felix Cavaliere’s Rascals at the One World Theater, Austin, September 25, cancelled or postponed, depending on the source.

No word on the cause, but he also cancelled Arlington, Texas as well.

Update - A band member tested positive for COVID, so the Austin show is cancelled. I've been holding onto these tickets since September 2019(!), with repeated postponements due to illness and then COVID. I really would like to see Felix once in my life, but we're not getting any younger. Sad
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #553 on: September 23, 2021, 10:50:29 PM »

Monkees (Mike Nesmith and Mickey Dolenz), Stubb's BBQ and outdoor amphitheater, in the Red River cultural district of downtown, Austin, Texas, tonight!

This is my, count them...third live concert of 2021, and the year is almost 3/4ths over.  Sad

At the artist's request, a negative COVID test or proof of fully vaccinated status are necessary to attend. (Our governor dictates that such requirements may not be enforced at state-owned, funded or licensed facilities, of which Stubb's ain't one.)

Early reviews of this tour are positive, though they note that Mike is now walking with a cane. It appears that he performs seated, sans guitar, as well. Time is marching on. Thumbnail review tomorrow.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #554 on: September 25, 2021, 11:39:05 AM »

John Mayall has announced he's hanging up his road shoes. From now on, he'll just play gigs local to him. Looks like a long, expensive trip if I ever want to see him play in the flesh.

Flobbadob!
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #555 on: September 25, 2021, 01:12:57 PM »

I guess at 87 he deserves a bit of a rest!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #556 on: September 29, 2021, 04:10:48 PM »

Humming and hawing over the forthcoming The Waterboys show in the heart of swinging downtown Ipswich. I guess £40 is nothing these days, but I’m not sure if I’m feeling the vibe. Happily, the timings released on the ticket website inform me that the show will end at a positively Hepworthian 10:15 before being followed by  ;Dprecisely two minutes of applause and a twenty three minute encore.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #557 on: September 30, 2021, 12:59:44 PM »

Humming and hawing over the forthcoming The Waterboys show in the heart of swinging downtown Ipswich. I guess £40 is nothing these days, but I’m not sure if I’m feeling the vibe. Happily, the timings released on the ticket website inform me that the show will end at a positively Hepworthian 10:15 before being followed by  ;Dprecisely two minutes of applause and a twenty three minute encore.

In the end we decided to give the tour a miss, the last three albums have largely left us cold and our enthusiasm has waned somewhat. I've not missed a Waterboys tour from the beginning so there was much deliberating but a pair of tickets, petrol, parking etc was going to be well in excess of £100 and for something that just wasn't getting us fired up we couldn't really justify it.
Peter Allen

« Reply #558 on: October 01, 2021, 01:24:58 PM »

Albion Christmas Band at Barton Ropery Hall , 11th December
Two original members of Fairport working together with  the very talented Simon Care and Kellie While , best way to kickstart the festive season , a Saturday night too so no rushing around after work , 15 minutes just over the Humber Bridge for us.
Tickets booked at a reasonable  £23/ea
Nice venue too
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #559 on: October 16, 2021, 10:05:28 AM »

Caravan tonight at Bury Met. Tour reports on their facebook page are positive, their new CD is a pleasant listen and it looks like a near sell out. Looking forward to my first live music since Fairport at RNCM last year.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 80   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: