TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:36:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 80   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 344734 times)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #400 on: February 26, 2020, 09:21:44 PM »

George Clinton Parliament/Funkadelic touring later this year. Apparently the final tour. Bristol late in May. I'd love to see this, but viewed a relatively recent concert on YouTube earlier... a LOT of rapping, over a fairly formulaic funk band. So I think I'll give it a miss, sadly.

Flobbadob!
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #401 on: February 29, 2020, 04:44:48 PM »

Off to see a Welsh duo on St David’s Day.  Lowri Evans and Lee Mason at Twickfolk.

Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #402 on: March 01, 2020, 06:12:16 PM »

Shortly venturing out on a Sunday evening to see Trials of Cato at The Lexington. They seem to be on the up so looking forward to finding out about them, and who Cato was/is and whether or not he (or she) was found guilty.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #403 on: March 01, 2020, 06:23:36 PM »

Shortly venturing out on a Sunday evening to see Trials of Cato at The Lexington. They seem to be on the up so looking forward to finding out about them, and who Cato was/is and whether or not he (or she) was found guilty.

Seen them twice now and they are excellent! I know the story behind the name but I won’t spoil it for you. If they don’t tell it tonight I can enlighten you later  Grin

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #404 on: March 03, 2020, 02:39:44 AM »

Ooh I like Trials of Cato, a very talented trio of young men.
And I know the story too  Wink

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #405 on: March 03, 2020, 09:59:19 AM »

How'd it go?

I'm off to see them next week.
dog-nap (Ian)

« Reply #406 on: March 08, 2020, 05:21:08 PM »

Off to see a Welsh duo on St David’s Day.  Lowri Evans and Lee Mason at Twickfolk.

…and very enjoyable they were, too.  During the course of the evening, they came out with a rather telling statistic about airplay fees – bemoaning the fact that Radio 2 pays about £21 per minute, but the Beeb only coughs up a measly 49p per minute for its Welsh-language station.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #407 on: March 08, 2020, 06:42:25 PM »

…and very enjoyable they were, too.  During the course of the evening, they came out with a rather telling statistic about airplay fees – bemoaning the fact that Radio 2 pays about £21 per minute, but the Beeb only coughs up a measly 49p per minute for its Welsh-language station.

I'm exceedingly pro-Welsh...I love the place, in many ways it feels like home to me, I love having lived there, and aim aiming to be back there again shortly - but there's a fairly obvious and perfectly understandable reason for the difference, isn't there?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
dog-nap (Ian)

« Reply #408 on: March 08, 2020, 11:20:08 PM »

I'm exceedingly pro-Welsh...I love the place, in many ways it feels like home to me, I love having lived there, and aim aiming to be back there again shortly - but there's a fairly obvious and perfectly understandable reason for the difference, isn't there?

Yes I agree, there obviously has to be a difference, but it was the scale of the difference that they were complaining about.  I vaguely recall there was some strike action on this issue a few years ago.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #409 on: March 09, 2020, 09:11:31 AM »

Yes I agree, there obviously has to be a difference, but it was the scale of the difference that they were complaining about.  I vaguely recall there was some strike action on this issue a few years ago.

If I was being really provocative I'd suggest the welsh payment is disproportionately high.

Total population of UK = 66.44 million
Total population of Welsh Speakers = 874,600

The former is 75.9 times the size of the latter.  I'm sure you can do the rest of the maths.

Obviously, this isn't comparing like with like (and probably the listening figures for the relevant radio stations would be a much better source of info for deciding the correct proportion), but personally I find it hard to view the difference as severely unjust.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #410 on: March 09, 2020, 09:32:55 AM »

Local radio play payments are always far less than Radio 1,2,3,4,5,6, etc payments
It also depends on the time of day one's music gets played..

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
wayne stote

« Reply #411 on: March 09, 2020, 11:03:50 AM »

Local radio play payments are always far less than Radio 1,2,3,4,5,6, etc payments

Radio Wales & Radio Cymru are national stations, not local ones.  Smiley
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #412 on: March 09, 2020, 11:40:23 AM »

Isn't that opinion rather than fact (fwiw, I'd describe them as 'regional' stations)?  If the option was on the table for Wales to be an independent nation state I'd vote for it, but at this point in time it is not a nation...is it?  Oh, I dunno...it's complex!

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #413 on: March 09, 2020, 11:48:26 AM »

Isn't that opinion rather than fact (fwiw, I'd describe them as 'regional' stations)?  If the option was on the table for Wales to be an independent nation state I'd vote for it, but at this point in time it is not a nation...is it?  Oh, I dunno...it's complex!

I dunno either. I think I will give up commenting on things as I know nothing.... Undecided

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
wayne stote

« Reply #414 on: March 09, 2020, 11:55:38 AM »

I'd hoped the smiley face in my comment above showed I was only yanking chains in fun and not being serious/annoyed.

Apologies to all. I'll get my coat.... or, at least my fez!  Fez
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #415 on: March 09, 2020, 12:21:30 PM »

I dunno either. I think I will give up commenting on things as I know nothing.... Undecided

And just to be clear, my comments were in response to Wayne's comments, not yours Jude...

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #416 on: March 09, 2020, 02:14:06 PM »

Clannad at Ipswich this Friday night...booked before I knew they were playing at Cropredy but at least I’ll be able to compare performances although I have seen them once before but a good few years ago now

Born to Run (but not very fast)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #417 on: March 11, 2020, 01:24:51 AM »

Melissa Etheridge at Rodeo Austin, Travis County Expo Center, March 24!

...IF the rodeo is not cancelled for Covid-19...

They cancelled SXSW a few days ago and flushed $300 million in economic activity with it.

I am advised that Rodeo Austin, by contrast, is not projected to attract many visitors from outside the vicinity. Apparently, this is the metric they are using when deciding what to cancel. I hope they know what they are doing.
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #418 on: March 12, 2020, 02:03:52 AM »

Discovered that Trials of Cato ARE playing in Cardiff next week, at the Gate, a venue that's been off my radar for a long time, but is also one of the venues for the forthcoming Roath Folk Music Festival.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
wayne stote

« Reply #419 on: March 12, 2020, 04:16:17 PM »

Discovered that Trials of Cato ARE playing in Cardiff next week, at the Gate, a venue that's been off my radar for a long time, but is also one of the venues for the forthcoming Roath Folk Music Festival.

All being well I'm seeing them on Friday.

Great band!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 80   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: