TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:00:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 80   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 344742 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #360 on: January 25, 2020, 09:29:32 AM »

Can anyone tell me if the current incarnation of Gong is worth seeing? I’m not really that au fait with Gong but they are playing Colchester Arts Centre in October and wondered whether I should bother to go and see them? Thanks

I haven't seen them yet but have seen lots of footage and know lots of people that have.  My own opinion is that they aren't really Gong, but they make a decent noise, and play lots of Gong music.  And Hillage rates them enough to have them as HIS band, so ultimately who are we to argue?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #361 on: January 25, 2020, 12:07:58 PM »

Can anyone tell me if the current incarnation of Gong is worth seeing? I’m not really that au fait with Gong but they are playing Colchester Arts Centre in October and wondered whether I should bother to go and see them? Thanks

I saw them last year and they were excellent. Definitely true to the spirit of Daevid Allen and the original band but - be warned -  they didn't play very much of the old stuff. Maybe a couple of tunes I recognized.

Ultimately though, the new music was strong enough to carry the show and they were promoting a new record so maybe by next October some of the classics will creep back in to the set.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #362 on: January 26, 2020, 07:35:39 AM »

Thanks David and Wayne, think maybe I’ll give it a go! What have I got to lose...just £20 for a ticket and £25 for the taxi home so, for a decent night of live music, sounds like a winner  Grin

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #363 on: January 27, 2020, 04:56:03 PM »

Tonight at Oslo in Hackney - Americana Clash. Bunch of British Americans artists playing Clash songs, in tribute to the Clash meeting Joe Ely 40 years ago when recording Sandinista.
Might be good, might not!
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #364 on: January 29, 2020, 04:13:27 PM »

Smoke Fairies at the Soup Kitchen, Manchester on Saturday.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #365 on: January 29, 2020, 08:35:34 PM »

Sarah McLachlan, February 8, Bass Concert Hall. I first saw her during her commercial peak, in 1998 (with Lisa Loeb and special guest Dweezil Zappa). She seems remarkably ageless and I'm looking forward to basking in her aura again.

Maybe Savoy Brown, February 6, One World Theater. Kim Simmonds is only 72, after all, so I'm sure I'll have countless future opportunities to cross him off my bucket list? [Irony emoji]
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #366 on: January 29, 2020, 10:11:47 PM »

Maybe Savoy Brown, February 6, One World Theater. Kim Simmonds is only 72, after all, so I'm sure I'll have countless future opportunities to cross him off my bucket list? [Irony emoji]

My "three feet from stardom" claim is that I worked with their original drummer, Leo for a few years. Lovely guy. I sold my first CD player to him.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #367 on: January 30, 2020, 12:40:02 AM »

I haven't seen them yet but have seen lots of footage and know lots of people that have.  My own opinion is that they aren't really Gong, but they make a decent noise, and play lots of Gong music.  And Hillage rates them enough to have them as HIS band, so ultimately who are we to argue?

Speaking of Hillage...there are more dates at the fag (joint ?) end of the year....including KK's Steel Mill in Wolves, which I haven't been to yet.

Well I never did..
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #368 on: January 31, 2020, 05:17:42 PM »

My binge-watch of all those Ken Burns’ programmes is having an effect.  I’m off to ‘Song after Song’, an evening of country music at Cadogan Hall with Mary Chapin Carpenter, The Wandering Hearts, and Ethan Johns.  One of Bob Harris’s Under the Apple Tree productions.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #369 on: January 31, 2020, 06:10:44 PM »

My binge-watch of all those Ken Burns’ programmes is having an effect.  I’m off to ‘Song after Song’, an evening of country music at Cadogan Hall with Mary Chapin Carpenter, The Wandering Hearts, and Ethan Johns.  One of Bob Harris’s Under the Apple Tree productions.

Those programmes were so amazing.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
wayne stote

« Reply #370 on: February 03, 2020, 04:30:28 PM »

Off to see Emily Capell on Thursday for our random gig of the month. No idea what she sounds like but she has an album called Combat Frock so I'm expecting big things.  Smiley

Then Fairport on Saturday. Very much looking forward to hearing the new songs live!
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #371 on: February 03, 2020, 09:17:26 PM »

Just leaked - Rolling Stones, Circuit of the Americas, Austin, Texas, May 24, 2020!

I vowed not to travel again to see the Stones after an unimpressive and expensive show in Arlington a few years ago. However, it would be hard to pass up a chance to see them in my back yard (playing Austin only for the second time in their history).
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #372 on: February 05, 2020, 06:05:19 PM »

This Friday night 7 Feb it’s back to PizzaExpress Live in Holborn to see Toyah - up close & personal acoustic set. I know she’s not to everyone’s taste but I’ve been a fan since I first saw her in the late 1970s in the days of Sheep Farming in Barnet and IEYA. The.venue is great being small and intimate so looking forward to it!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
wayne stote

« Reply #373 on: February 06, 2020, 11:29:45 AM »

This Friday night 7 Feb it’s back to PizzaExpress Live in Holborn to see Toyah - up close & personal acoustic set. I know she’s not to everyone’s taste but I’ve been a fan since I first saw her in the late 1970s in the days of Sheep Farming in Barnet and IEYA. The.venue is great being small and intimate so looking forward to it!

Toyah is excellent in concert. Be amazing to see her in such a small venue.

Have a great night!
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #374 on: February 12, 2020, 09:55:52 AM »

Elephant Stone at the Castle Hotel, Manchester tomorrow. First time they've been over here for three years following a brief hiatus, so really looking forward to this one.
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #375 on: February 13, 2020, 04:05:53 PM »

Off to see Emily Capell on Thursday for our random gig of the month. No idea what she sounds like but she has an album called Combat Frock so I'm expecting big things.  Smiley

Then Fairport on Saturday. Very much looking forward to hearing the new songs live!

How was the Emily Capell show?  I'm thinking of seeing her in Birmingham tomorrow, quite like her album and her live shows look pretty lively?
wayne stote

« Reply #376 on: February 13, 2020, 06:06:04 PM »

How was the Emily Capell show?  I'm thinking of seeing her in Birmingham tomorrow, quite like her album and her live shows look pretty lively?

Excellent.

You'll know what to expect musically if you've heard the album. On stage, Emily is a force of nature and the band are incredibly tight. They also all seemed to be having a blast which is always nice to see. They were onstage for just over an hour and it went by in the blink of an eye. I'll be keen to see them again, next time they are in town.

If you do decide to go, be sure to arrive in time to catch the support act, Joseph Slater. He was terrific too.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #377 on: February 13, 2020, 06:16:22 PM »

Rolling Stones, Sunday, May 24, 2020, at the Circuit of the Americas Super Stage in Austin!

Given that this is their second visit to Austin in history, the first being almost 14 years ago, I say with confidence and satisfaction this will be the last time for me. I mean it, it's all over now. Time is [not] on my side here, friends.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #378 on: February 13, 2020, 06:42:20 PM »

Tom Jones is playing the Cally Thistle stadium in Inverness.

I suppose it’s not unusual for a boy from nowhere to play in Scotland. He might miss the green, green grass of home.  I, who have nothing, can’t afford to go. And anyway baby, it’s cold outside,here(unless someone’s burning down the house). If I lived nearer I’d be looking out my window.

Sorry!  X (Kiss)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #379 on: February 13, 2020, 08:04:00 PM »

Just booked to see Big Big Train in Aylesbury in July (16th).  Haven't seen them before, so I'm already quite excited by this!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 80   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: