TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:55:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 80   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 344504 times)
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #340 on: January 04, 2020, 03:15:12 PM »

Off to the Pheasantry on the 9th, on my annual trip to see Pete Atkin perform.  Really looking forward to it.
dog-nap (Ian)

« Reply #341 on: January 12, 2020, 09:04:25 PM »

Off to the Pheasantry on the 9th, on my annual trip to see Pete Atkin perform.  Really looking forward to it.

A lovely performance, both witty and emotional.  It was Pete’s first gig since Clive James’ death and he spent some time paying tribute to their lifelong collaboration, describing how they met and started performing together.  As usual, one of the delights of the show was hearing about the original inspiration for some of the songs.  A very civilized venue, too, with a couple of interesting musical associations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pheasantry

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #342 on: January 12, 2020, 09:37:01 PM »

Off to a new venue for me tomorrow night...Pizza Express in Holborn! Going to see Wilson & Wakeman again as I was very impressed by their performance at Cropredy last year. Apparently it’s set up a bit like a ‘live lounge/supper club’ so should be OK....

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #343 on: January 12, 2020, 09:44:55 PM »

Off to a new venue for me tomorrow night...Pizza Express in Holborn! Going to see Wilson & Wakeman again as I was very impressed by their performance at Cropredy last year. Apparently it’s set up a bit like a ‘live lounge/supper club’ so should be OK....
We’re off to see them on Wednesday at Acapela Studios near Cardiff where they serve pizza so should have a similar evening to you!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
dog-nap (Ian)

« Reply #344 on: January 16, 2020, 04:25:39 PM »

Off to see a ‘50th anniversary all-star tribute to The Flying Burrito Brothers’.  The line-up includes Greg Harris and Jeff Pevar.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #345 on: January 16, 2020, 05:55:00 PM »

Off to see a ‘50th anniversary all-star tribute to The Flying Burrito Brothers’.  The line-up includes Greg Harris and Jeff Pevar.

I'd intended to go to one of these, but then forgot about it.  Let me know...I'm a big fan of Jeff's playing, especially with the Croz.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #346 on: January 16, 2020, 11:39:17 PM »

Going to see Rowan Rheingans - Dispatches on the Red Dress, again, it was a moving musical highlight last year. This time I am going to Carraigeworks Leeds on the 22nd of March I am going with my 70 odd year old mother in law, she says it is her first ever folk gig, and I am sure it will be a good one. I am still going through medical things and despite my growing frustration with my progress, I now would like them to wait so I know I can attend this  Wink

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #347 on: January 17, 2020, 05:56:01 AM »

Heather Findlay, Girlschool, Beth Hart, Joanne Shaw Taylor and Goldfrapp in the upcoming months.

Hopefully tix for Steel Pulse, The 'other' Beat and, maybe, the Four Tops and The Temptations to come on pay day.

Well I never did..
dog-nap (Ian)

« Reply #348 on: January 17, 2020, 04:13:36 PM »

I'd intended to go to one of these, but then forgot about it.  Let me know...I'm a big fan of Jeff's playing, especially with the Croz.

I loved it.  Pevar was my main reason for going and he certainly did not disappoint, but Greg was excellent too.  The band played for 90 minutes solid (virtually no chat).  A well-balanced set-list, with a good mix of plaintive ballads and up-tempo numbers.  They did not limit themselves to the Burritos’ back catalogue (they did a cracking version of ‘Wild Horses’) and the up-tempo numbers had more raw energy than anything I remember hearing on FBB albums (I never heard them play live, sadly).  A very tight performance – the band sounded as if they had been playing together for years.  Well worth a punt, I’d say, if you get the chance.

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #349 on: January 17, 2020, 07:22:33 PM »

Malcolm Bruce (son of Jack) has been fired from the Cream Experience: Disraeli Gears tour of the U.S. in spring 2020.

Bummed.  Angry  The trio of Malcolm, Kofi Baker and Will Johns was terrific when I saw them in 2018, and I still enjoy listening to the instant live recording that I purchased at the show.  Malcolm's and Will's voices blend nicely, Malcolm's got a jazzy bass style, and he sings very much like his dad.

It's hard to imagine how they could replace him with someone superior, let alone more authentic.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #350 on: January 20, 2020, 02:01:22 AM »

Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings (ex-Guess Who) are reuniting for dates in 2020!

No published dates yet, beyond a rumored booking at the Titans of Rock Festival in Grand Forks, British Columbia, August 6-8.

I'm very excited about this pairing. I have regretted for nigh on 20 years not seeing The [legitimate] Guess Who reunion tour in 2001, when they played San Antonio, Houston and Dallas over three consecutive nights and I missed all three bloody shows. The fake Guess Who continues to tour vigorously, with Guess Who original drummer Garry Peterson and a bunch of nameless, faceless side men. (Reminiscent of the situation with the Little River Band, and a handful of similar scams playing out across the planet.)

These guys aren't spring chickens, so this is probably a last chance deal.  I'll hop on a plane if I have to.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #351 on: January 20, 2020, 07:05:36 AM »

Laibach are playing a "home" gig in Ljubljana Castle 11 Sept. I wonder if I could persuade Mrs PT into a citybreak in one of our favourite places?

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #352 on: January 20, 2020, 12:18:46 PM »

Laibach are playing a "home" gig in Ljubljana Castle 11 Sept. I wonder if I could persuade Mrs PT into a citybreak in one of our favourite places?

Now that would be fun.  Llubljana is wonderful, isn't it?  I spent a month there in 2007(doing a TEFL course).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #353 on: January 22, 2020, 05:22:51 PM »

Going to see Guida tomorrow night. They are an Italian punky version of The Sweet.

Expecting big things!
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #354 on: January 23, 2020, 09:48:48 PM »

Just announced - new Roger Waters 2020 "This is Not a Drill" tour of North America!. Includes one stop in Dallas in October, so far.

I hope he adds more dates, and possibly finds his way to Austin this time. In any event, I must see him to make up for missing the "Us and Them" tour for no good reason...
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #355 on: January 24, 2020, 06:29:29 AM »

Now that would be fun.  Llubljana is wonderful, isn't it?  I spent a month there in 2007(doing a TEFL course).

We were there early July 2010 - a few days sightseeing and relaxing after Elly's Ironman tri in Austria. I had the best cappuccino I've ever tasted in the castle's cafe.

Back on topic - Fairport's Wintour opener at Tewkesbury next Wednesday is next on my agenda, unless a gig pops up over the weekend. I'd have gone to see Merry Hell in Worcester tonight, but we'll be in Cornwall visiting my sister.

Flobbadob!
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #356 on: January 24, 2020, 10:47:04 AM »

Myself and MrsB are off up to Glasgow on Sunday to see Catrin Finch & Cimarrón and Dowally at the Old Fruitmarket as part of the Celtic Connections festival. I missed seeing Catrin when she played in Lancaster with Seckou Keita so I'm looking forward to this gig.

We're going to be away next week when the chaps start their winter tour though I see the Settle gig is sold out. I suppose Manchester is a possibility.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #357 on: January 24, 2020, 06:01:55 PM »

I spotted that Irmin Schmidt of Can is appearing at Celtic Connections... I'm struggling to find a celtic connection, maybe Irmin likes a wee dram now and then?

Flobbadob!
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #358 on: January 24, 2020, 09:17:42 PM »

I got Seth Lakeman @ Boston . Quite exciting

You are what you eat !!!
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #359 on: January 25, 2020, 07:39:38 AM »

Can anyone tell me if the current incarnation of Gong is worth seeing? I’m not really that au fait with Gong but they are playing Colchester Arts Centre in October and wondered whether I should bother to go and see them? Thanks

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 80   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: