TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:33:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 80   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 344579 times)
mightyglydd
An electric train freak should have no problems

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #220 on: October 13, 2019, 03:27:46 PM »

Maybe Allan Taylor could show up at the the lads date and for old times sake perform Senile Delinquent with them?

Lyrics here.....second ones!

M Wootton, A Taylor

https://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=60718

"I've got knives on the wheels of me bath-chair"   Smiley

I have fond memories of Allan, never been able to find sound or vid of one of the most fun FC moments....
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #221 on: October 13, 2019, 06:17:05 PM »

Wow! I'm going to have to plan 2020 around trips to Kemsing!
Always a lively vibe there, and some of my favourite bands.
Alan Taylor! Takes me back to my teens!
SteveT

« Reply #222 on: October 17, 2019, 01:03:19 PM »

Off to see 'friend of Cropredy' Damian Wilson (& Friends)tonight in the lovely and intimate surroundings of St Pancras Old Church.
It's in celebration of his 50th birthday so should be good I hope.

Further gigs I have lined up between now and Xmas are:

Brandy Clark - US Country singer - next Friday in Shepherd's Bush
Marillion with String Quartet - Nov 15th in Southend
Elles Bailey - Country Blues singer from Bristol Nov 22nd in Basildon. Discovered her this year at Ramblin' Man Fair and thought she was great.
The Comet Is Coming - US alt-prog-jazz-indie outfit Dec 5th in Shepherd's Bush - taking a bit of a punt here as only know what I've heard on 6 Music
Steeleye Span - 50th Anniversary at the Barbican Dec 17th - 'nuff said  Smiley
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #223 on: October 17, 2019, 06:02:11 PM »

Martin Barre Band with Special Guests Clive Bunker and Dee Palmer, Dosey Doe's Big Barn, The Woodlands, Texas, April 18, 2020!

You could have knocked me over with a feather at the news that this line-up of the Martin Barre Band would schlep themselves all the way down into Texas!!!!!

Assuming no Austin show is added, I'll be there at The Woodlands, and/or at the Arlington Music Hall on April 17. The Big Barn is a unique music venue, with good food, great sound and excellent sight lines throughout.

I never had the pleasure of seeing Tull with Martin (or Clive, or Dee) so I am really looking forward to this one.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #224 on: October 17, 2019, 07:01:58 PM »

Not for me, but did we know that Supergrass are back with dates next year (after playing the Pilton Party a few weeks ago)?  A couple of decent ditties aside, I've always thought they were very overrated and the 2008(?) Cropredy performance certainly didn't change my mind about that...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #225 on: October 18, 2019, 12:09:29 AM »

Not for me, but did we know that Supergrass are back with dates next year (after playing the Pilton Party a few weeks ago)?  A couple of decent ditties aside, I've always thought they were very overrated and the 2008(?) Cropredy performance certainly didn't change my mind about that...

Neither knew nor cared after their appalling Cropredy appearance.

The Dude abides
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #226 on: October 18, 2019, 06:41:44 AM »

Was it appalling?  I can't really remember.  I thought it was just a bit dull....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #227 on: October 18, 2019, 09:28:52 AM »

Was it appalling?  I can't really remember.  I thought it was just a bit dull....

They weren't good at Cropredy but there were extenuating circumstances. They were in the process of breaking up. Relations in the band were fractious and they were promoting an album that was far from their best. They were generally however a fantastic live band (which you would not know from their Cropredy show) and their first four albums are all terrific and inventive records. Road To Rouen also has a lot of fans. They got lumped in with the Britpop crowd but at their height they knocked most of their contemporaries into a cocked hat. Sadly I can't get to any of the reunion gigs.
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #228 on: October 18, 2019, 05:17:54 PM »

They weren't good at Cropredy but there were extenuating circumstances. They were in the process of breaking up. Relations in the band were fractious and they were promoting an album that was far from their best. They were generally however a fantastic live band (which you would not know from their Cropredy show) and their first four albums are all terrific and inventive records. Road To Rouen also has a lot of fans. They got lumped in with the Britpop crowd but at their height they knocked most of their contemporaries into a cocked hat. Sadly I can't get to any of the reunion gigs.

Always had a soft spot for Supergrass...Although I am a bit biased as they were/are a local band Roll Eyes...Late in the Day and Richard 111 are terrific songs...It's a shame they were lumped in with the Britpop thing...They were much better than all that...Would love to see one of the reunion gigs...
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #229 on: October 18, 2019, 06:26:48 PM »

Very excited to have splurged (on my budget) for a ticket to see Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band at the end of the month at Madison Square Garden. Not just due to cost, but I think I am completely over the big arena shows, but this is Bob's farewell tour and I was not going to miss it. I'm a huge fan, but my previous times seeing him have always been marred by one thing or another that prevented full scale enjoyment. So I actually bought myself, and only myself a ticket so I can just go and have no distractions and enjoy the farewell on my own terms.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #230 on: October 19, 2019, 01:16:12 PM »

What they are billing as Gerry Hell at Ulverston Coronation Hall an evening of music featuring the music with Merry Hell and Gerry Colvin, I am guessing it will be very different to the JIgdoll Ensemble gig I saw at the same venue on thursday but hopefully as good. I doubt my da will fall asleep at this one though, but that was his loss.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #231 on: October 20, 2019, 03:23:56 AM »

Thursday night, the 2019 Austin City Limits Hall of Fame ceremony at ACL Live!

The inductees are:  Lyle Lovett, Shawn Colvin, and Buddy Guy.  

The host is Robert Earl Keen, and performers include Jackson Browne, Shemekia Copeland, Jimmie Vaughan, Bruce Hornsby, Sarah Jarosz, Willis Alan Ramsey & Christone “Kingfish” Ingram.

I had never heard of Kingfish Ingram, but after reading his bio I'm looking forward to the discovery.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #232 on: October 20, 2019, 11:25:24 AM »

What they are billing as Gerry Hell at Ulverston Coronation Hall an evening of music featuring the music with Merry Hell and Gerry Colvin

That sounds a lot of fun  Smiley

I have happy memories of this venue...I saw an awesome and very rocking Patti Smith gig there back in 2007, the night after she'd played at Kendal, equally awesome although very different (supposedly acoustic, it wasn't).

Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #233 on: October 20, 2019, 02:36:01 PM »

What they are billing as Gerry Hell at Ulverston Coronation Hall an evening of music featuring the music with Merry Hell and Gerry Colvin

That sounds a lot of fun  Smiley

I have happy memories of this venue...I saw an awesome and very rocking Patti Smith gig there back in 2007, the night after she'd played at Kendal, equally awesome although very different (supposedly acoustic, it wasn't).
Was a lot of fun, was seating at tables....i am glad there wasnt a fire, but it would probably have been better all standing like the Patti Smith concert (though maybe not for the age of the audience, my parents wouldn't have appreciated it) I also need to get use to Gerry Colvin, he came across too eager to please (not usually a bad) and either there were in jokes or I have a different sence of humour. Merry Hell a pitch perfect live act, to me but strangely still haven't bought any of their albums, just have my Up the Shirkers and Shandyland - Tansads cds
As for the Patti Smith gig in 2007, I might have mentioned it before, but the night had a bad vibe for me, the band were great but I didn't warm to Patti recounting her childish antics at the Wordsworth museum, being part of the reason, seemed a bit photofit rebel to me.. Though Bettye Lavette the week prior was absolutely brilliant.  

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #234 on: October 20, 2019, 05:29:41 PM »

The Dream Syndicate at Scala, King's Cross on Monday
Peatbog Faeries at Band on the Wall, Manchester on Tuesday
Alfa 9 at the Artisan Tap, Hartshill, Stoke on Thursday
The Icicle Works at The Flowerpot, Derby on Friday
Cool Cat
ANONYMOUS MEMBER

« Reply #235 on: October 22, 2019, 08:19:57 PM »

Had tickets for John Mayall in November. Venue has let us know the rest of the tour is cancelled because of ill health, with the aim of getting well again.
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #236 on: October 23, 2019, 02:04:16 PM »

Just done a quick look at the calendar!
Before the end of November
Tim Minchin
Midge Ure
Big big train
Squeeze (& Heaven 17)
Billy Bragg
Billy Bragg
Billy Bragg
Steve Hackett

That's a decent line up. Grin

Happy mainly.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #237 on: October 23, 2019, 08:19:14 PM »

Tonight at the intimate Cactus Cafe, in the student union at the University of Texas -

Shawn Phillips.

I confess I had never heard of SP before I saw this show listed.  I looked at some old Youtube videos of him on the Midnight Special, and read his online hagio -- I mean biography.  He claims to be an associate of Donovan, the Beatles, Eric Clapton, etc., and to have been offered the role of Jesus in JCS on Broadway circa 1970.

Seems to be a very accomplished player and singer based on the videos, in spite of his apparent obscurity.  Should I?
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #238 on: October 24, 2019, 03:52:06 AM »

Tim Minchin
Midge Ure
Big big train
Squeeze (& Heaven 17)
Billy Bragg
Billy Bragg
Billy Bragg
Steve Hackett

Going to see Billy Bragg 3 times in row?!?!?  Shocked Once I can handle but 3x one after another might test me a bit even thought I have a number of his albums

Born to Run (but not very fast)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #239 on: October 24, 2019, 08:37:39 AM »

Tim Minchin
Midge Ure
Big big train
Squeeze (& Heaven 17)
Billy Bragg
Billy Bragg
Billy Bragg
Steve Hackett

Going to see Billy Bragg 3 times in row?!?!?  Shocked Once I can handle but 3x one after another might test me a bit even thought I have a number of his albums

His current tour is 3 nights in each town playing 3 different sets all focusing on a different series of albums...so not as odd as it looks!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 80   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: