TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:24:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 80   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 344680 times)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2019, 06:25:58 AM »

A chum reports from last night’s Saucerful of Secrets show that someone decided to make a phone call during ‘Set The Controls...’. Didn’t go down too well, apparently.  Shocked

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2019, 08:32:57 AM »

A chum reports from last night’s Saucerful of Secrets show that someone decided to make a phone call during ‘Set The Controls...’. Didn’t go down too well, apparently.  Shocked
Something similar happened at Cardiff. The tw@t in front of us obscured our view with his mobile phone for most of the set, then proceeded to play his videos back at full volume when the band were bantering between songs  Angry mainly to cries of WTF from those around him. And when the Security man asked him to turn it off he had a mouthful of abuse. I really don't understand some people  Undecided

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2019, 08:38:51 AM »

Something similar happened at Cardiff. The tw@t in front of us obscured our view with his mobile phone for most of the set, then proceeded to play his videos back at full volume when the band were bantering between songs  Angry mainly to cries of WTF from those around him. And when the Security man asked him to turn it off he had a mouthful of abuse. I really don't understand some people  Undecided

It’s an increasing problem. Happens regularly when I’m at gigs and, like you, I can’t understand why people can’ Just enjoy the gig. I get so irate, I want to grab their phone and stamp on it  Angry

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2019, 01:38:00 PM »

It’s an increasing problem. Happens regularly when I’m at gigs and, like you, I can’t understand why people can’ Just enjoy the gig. I get so irate, I want to grab their phone and stamp on it  Angry
I think one day I will do just that!  Grin

Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2019, 09:22:10 PM »

I just don't get it, it makes me feel like I am getting old. I really can't understand why you would rather capture that special moment in a concert rather than being part of it, e.g. Filming meet on the ledge at cropredy, filming Vincent black lightning at a Richard Thompson concert, smoke on the water, paranoid. I would rather be there.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2019, 10:09:48 PM »

I just don't get it, it makes me feel like I am getting old. I really can't understand why you would rather capture that special moment in a concert rather than being part of it, e.g. Filming meet on the ledge at cropredy, filming Vincent black lightning at a Richard Thompson concert, smoke on the water, paranoid. I would rather be there.

Exactly!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2019, 08:31:25 AM »

To be fair, the person wasn’t even recording the gig. Genuinely, and even more inexplicably, he made a phone call.  Shocked

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2019, 09:17:40 AM »

Robyn Hitchcock at St Mary's A Creative Space, Chester on Thursday.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2019, 11:45:50 AM »

Better Oblivion Community Center next Sunday. Our first visit to the Center.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2019, 04:50:51 PM »

Show of Hands at the Cutty Sark.  The performance space underneath the ship (boat?) makes a really nice venue.  I saw ‘The Pirates of Penzance’ there a few weeks ago – I liked the idea of seeing it in a nautical setting – and it works just as well with theatre.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2019, 11:46:20 AM »

The rather excellent St Edith Folk have got some VG gigs scheduled for the second half of 2019. mostly at the lovely Kemsing St Edith Hall, near Sevenoaks:

19 Jul                                      RICHARD DIGANCE                 +    Eric Sedge  £14.00
06 Sep                                     TREETOP FLYERS                    +    Copper Viper £12.50
20 Sep                                     THE ORANGE CIRCUS BAND     +    Friction Farm   £  9.00
04 Oct                                     STICK IN THE WHEEL               +    Ian Roland Trio  £11.00
18 Oct                                     THE GARY FLETCHER ACOUSTIC TRIO   +    Jeremy Tuplin  £10.00
01 Nov                                   JOHN OTWAY & WILD WILLY BARRETT   +    Summer & Smoke   £14.00
15 Nov                                   THE TRIALS OF CATO                           +    Ryan Fox                £11.00
06 Dec                                   THE DYLAN PROJECT                           * no support *               £17.00
14 Dec                                   ST AGNES FOUNTAIN                          * no support *               £18.00
                                              (to be held at St Dunstan's Church, Cranbrook)
20 Dec                                   THE ALBION Christmas BAND           * no support *                £22.00

I will definitely try to see Treetop Flyers, The Orange Circus Band & The Trials Of Cato - all new to me but I like their stuff on YouTube. Several other maybes.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2019, 12:22:50 PM »

Trying to decide whether I can be fussed to drag myself over to Brighton to see The Dovetail trio this evening. Would like to see them but brighton on a Bank Holiday has all sorts of disadvantages, not least of transport o get there and back.

Otherwise my next gig (sort of) will be Tubular Bells for Two on Friday. More of a show than a gig I think and I have no real idea what to expect but it has been highly acclaimed by critics and I am looking forward to it.

Then it is Otway & Barrett's farewell tour on Saturday which should be a lot of fun.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2019, 12:47:49 PM »

I saw "Tubular Bells for Two" at the Edinburgh Festival a few years ago. It was terrific - enjoy!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2019, 02:42:52 PM »

I saw "Tubular Bells for Two" at the Edinburgh Festival a few years ago. It was terrific - enjoy!

I'm intrigued!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2019, 03:49:10 PM »

I saw that too. Fantastic! They got a huge cheer and an immediate standing ovation at the end. Very enjoyable  Cheesy

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2019, 05:20:03 PM »

I'm intrigued!

Jules

http://www.tubularbellsfortwo.com/
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2019, 09:10:01 PM »

Fair play to 'em. I'm looking forward to Ommadawn for Three.   Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2019, 05:56:51 PM »

Saving Grace at the (Stroud Valley Arts) Goods Shed in Stroud 22 May. Just got ticket nos 143 & 144, not sure what the capacity is...

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2019, 06:15:43 PM »

Saving Grace at the (Stroud Valley Arts) Goods Shed in Stroud 22 May. Just got ticket nos 143 & 144, not sure what the capacity is...

Good call.  Just told my Stroud mates, so thank you.  Enjoy.  It would be hard not to..

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2019, 11:15:11 PM »

Enjoy, Paul!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 80   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: