TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:42:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 80   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 344503 times)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« on: April 08, 2019, 06:07:18 PM »

According to the Grauniad's gig guide last Saturday, there's a "one-off" drum legends show this Friday at the Brighton Dome...

Pete York, Herman from the Scorpions and... GINGER BAKER - who I thought had retired permanently from drumming - certainly live performance - due to ill health!!

Seems it's not sold out - I'm gutted I can't make it - probably my last chance to see Ginger play live - then again, if his drumming capabilities have (understandably) declined, it would be a bit sad to see.

Flobbadob!
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 06:16:49 PM »

After seeing Lavinia Blackwall last week off to see more ex Trembling Bells tonight with a solo performance from Alex Rex.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 06:28:59 PM »

According to the Grauniad's gig guide last Saturday, there's a "one-off" drum legends show this Friday at the Brighton Dome...

Pete York, Herman from the Scorpions and... GINGER BAKER - who I thought had retired permanently from drumming - certainly live performance - due to ill health!!

Seems it's not sold out - I'm gutted I can't make it - probably my last chance to see Ginger play live - then again, if his drumming capabilities have (understandably) declined, it would be a bit sad to see.

We saw Ginger in Austin on his last U.S. visit, just a couple of years back. His skills were impeccable, although his health was clearly not. I hope some Talkawhilers can make it to the Brighton Dome and I hope they experience him as we did.
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 02:50:40 PM »

Two brilliant live bands tonight, Holy Moly & The Crackers plus local band The Brandy Thieves. At the Musician as usual.

Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 03:17:33 PM »

Just booked to see Steve Hackett in Birmingham in November. Thought I'd have no trouble getting a ticket but it's about 98% sold out already. This will be my first gig since Cropredy 2017 and I hadn't quite realised how much ticket prices were creeping up..... Roll Eyes

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 07:04:36 PM »

Ludicrously excited about Dr Strangely Strange at Cafe Oto tomorrow pm.  I do wish it didn't mean 9 hours in the bloody car and wasn't in London, but, hey ho....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 08:21:31 PM »

Just booked to see Steve Hackett in Birmingham in November. Thought I'd have no trouble getting a ticket but it's about 98% sold out already. This will be my first gig since Cropredy 2017 and I hadn't quite realised how much ticket prices were creeping up..... Roll Eyes

They have been on sale a while; I got a ticket for Reading when they were announced. It's the first time I have held a ticket for a gig that was more than a year away. I am sure I will forget to go.

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 02:20:54 PM »

They have been on sale a while; I got a ticket for Reading when they were announced. It's the first time I have held a ticket for a gig that was more than a year away. I am sure I will forget to go.

I have a ticket for that Reading concert too, and likewise have never bought a ticket over a year in advance.  I'm relying on my calendar and the friends I'm going with to make sure I don't miss it!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 05:35:02 PM »

Do you use Outlook, or have a calendar on your phone? If so, add a reminder for a few days before the gig

My entire life is in Outlook - I’ve no idea how I’d cope without it!!!  Undecided Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 12:36:54 PM »

I did that last year with a sort of gig - the League Of Gentlemen. I haven't got a ticket for Steve yet...I've been to three gigs this week, and there's Mott next week, and it's festival tix buying season....bam and dlast.

Well I never did..
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 06:46:08 PM »

Just purchased - Squeeze Songbook Tour, September 17, 2019, at the Paramount in Austin.

The Paramount may not be an ideal venue for Squeeze.  At Cropredy, and at the 2008 Squeeze show at La Zona Rosa here in Austin, there was lots of joyful bopping throughout the show.  You can't bop in the fixed chairs at the Paramount...
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 05:43:03 PM »

Mr Robert Plant. I hope he appreciates the 2 hour trek I’ve made to Carmarthen!!!  Grin

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 12:22:07 AM »

Mr Robert Plant. I hope he appreciates the 2 hour trek I’ve made to Carmarthen!!!  Grin

His band were pretty good, but his voice was obviously suffering and he had a persistent cough. Very laid back and no foot-stompers.

It will be interesting to see if this band develops enough to produce an album.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 09:03:13 AM »

His band were pretty good, but his voice was obviously suffering and he had a persistent cough. Very laid back and no foot-stompers.

It will be interesting to see if this band develops enough to produce an album.
I particularly enjoyed Matt Worley's singing. I admit I was waiting for a foot-stomper, or a bit of "Hey, hey Mama, said the way you move...."!!  Smiley but I enjoyed the evening. The support were very good.

I wasn't moved to applaud for the sound man tho - he needs to get his act together  Huh

Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 11:44:16 AM »

Loved this band last time I saw them, so off for some Celtic/Bluegrass tonight with the brilliant The Orange Circus Band.

Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 01:40:25 PM »

One of my own promotions tonight, the Jaywalkers at the Musician, Leicester.

Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 12:47:13 PM »

Another of my own promotions tonight Ida Wenøe + Fay Brotherhood at the Musician.

This is the sort of gig I love putting on even though I know it's likely to cost me. Few promoters will now put on acts that are not well known. But after reading the review below how could I resist.

"… a childlike fragility that makes the songs sound like whimsical folk for fairy tales with a sinister undertow. Her voice – weary but cute, with the power to cut through – is perfect; she sounds like the young narrator of her own magical-malevolent fantasies…” The Guardian

So if you fancy a bit of Nordic Noir folk from Denmark, you know where to be tonight.

Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 11:39:50 PM »

The Furrow Collective tomorrow night at the Phil in Liverpool
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 04:15:24 PM »

Off to Wizz Jones’ birthday gig at Cadogan Hall tonight.  Looking forward to seeing him with Ralph and the other surprise guests.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 09:10:05 PM »

Off to Wizz Jones’ birthday gig at Cadogan Hall tonight.  Looking forward to seeing him with Ralph and the other surprise guests.

By coincidence, I'm listening to Eric Clapton's autobiography, and he singled out Wizz as an early inspiration. Have fun!

Tonight, the inimitable Robin Trower at the Moody Theater at ACL Live, in wet and rainy downtown Austin, Texas!

Miserable weather and pretty poor ticket sales, I'm sorry to say.  This is his third visit to Austin in the last four years, after a 30-year drought.  I view each show as possibly my last opportunity to see him.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 80   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: