TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:02:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 80   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 344596 times)
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #720 on: April 08, 2022, 11:50:26 AM »

Lindisfarne at Bury Met on Sat 16th. My first trip home to England since Covid and thrilled to be ticking off one of my top bucket list bands

You're in for a treat. I saw them most recently at a festival last November and they tore the roof off the room.

I still harbour - faint - hopes of a new record.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #721 on: April 08, 2022, 11:56:25 AM »

Lindisfarne at Bury Met on Sat 16th. My first trip home to England since Covid and thrilled to be ticking off one of my top bucket list bands

You're in for a treat. I saw them most recently at a festival last November and they tore the roof off the room.

I still harbour - faint - hopes of a new record.

Who is in the band with Rod these days?  There's AH's son-in-law I think...who else?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #722 on: April 08, 2022, 12:07:43 PM »

From their website:

Rod Clements (1969-present)
Vocal, mandolin, fiddle, electric and acoustic guitars.

Dave Hull-Denholm (1994-present)
Vocal, 6 & 12 string guitars, piano and harmonica.

Steve Daggett (1986-present)
Vocal, keyboards, acoustic guitar and harmonica.

Ian Thomson (1995-present)
Vocal, electric bass and double bass.

Paul Smith
(2021-present)
Drums

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #723 on: April 08, 2022, 04:12:41 PM »

Hugh Cornwell Electric this evening at Arlington Arts, Newbury...Just realised that the last time I saw Hugh play live was at The Cape of Good Hope public house, Oxford (1990s), and The Stranglers, New Theatre Oxford (1979), when I was extremely young!...Really can't work out where the time has gone!! Shocked

Just seen on Twitter that Hugh has lost his voice and his gigs over the weekend have been postponed.

More info at http://www.hughcornwell.com/live/

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #724 on: April 08, 2022, 04:26:01 PM »

From their website:

Paul Smith
(2021-present)
Drums

Cripes - quite a lot of years under their belt in that lot. I didn't realise that...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PJayBe

« Reply #725 on: April 09, 2022, 01:32:51 PM »

Steely dan tributers Nearly Dan tonight in Manchester.  Always a fine night and a 1/5 of the price of the real thing!!!
wayne stote

« Reply #726 on: April 10, 2022, 10:57:18 PM »

From their website:

Paul Smith
(2021-present)
Drums

Cripes - quite a lot of years under their belt in that lot. I didn't realise that...

Yes, they still feel and sound like the real thing with just one original member, remarkably.

One small caveat to the above: Steve Daggett was a big part of the Dance Your Life Away album and tour, in 1986, and has been a long time friend of the band since then, but he didn't join full time until Ray Jackson rejuvenated the band in 2013. He's a fine addition though, and his solo albums are worth a listen, if you ever stumble across them.

Until recently, Paul Thompson has been Lindisfarne's drummer but the lure of the Roxy Music reunion has understandably pulled him away.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #727 on: April 11, 2022, 10:50:37 AM »

Steely dan tributers Nearly Dan tonight in Manchester.  Always a fine night and a 1/5 of the price of the real thing!!!

Without Walter Becker, is there really any "real thing" any more?
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #728 on: April 11, 2022, 01:09:43 PM »

Just as long a Donald Fagen wants to operate under the Dan name, yes there is.

The Dude abides
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #729 on: April 11, 2022, 01:34:30 PM »

Just as long a Donald Fagen wants to operate under the Dan name, yes there is.

And let's face it, what Fagen wants he tends to get.  One could start by asking, oh, I dunno - his missus, Aimee Mann etc etc....?   Wink

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #730 on: April 11, 2022, 02:03:12 PM »

One could start by asking, oh, I dunno - his missus, Aimee Mann etc etc....?   Wink

I thought for one minute here that Donald Fagen had married Aimee Mann!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #731 on: April 11, 2022, 02:26:22 PM »

One could start by asking, oh, I dunno - his missus, Aimee Mann etc etc....?   Wink

I thought for one minute here that Donald Fagen had married Aimee Mann!

Jules

Shes been married to Michael Penn for ages. I love her music but I also owe her one for introducing me to Grand Drive as a support band. i have been a huge fan of Danny Wilson ever since.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #732 on: April 11, 2022, 03:19:59 PM »

From their website:

Paul Smith
(2021-present)
Drums

Yes, they still feel and sound like the real thing with just one original member, remarkably.

One small caveat to the above: Steve Daggett was a big part of the Dance Your Life Away album and tour, in 1986, and has been a long time friend of the band since then, but he didn't join full time until Ray Jackson rejuvenated the band in 2013. He's a fine addition though, and his solo albums are worth a listen, if you ever stumble across them.

Until recently, Paul Thompson has been Lindisfarne's drummer but the lure of the Roxy Music reunion has understandably pulled him away.

The really interesting thing is that the last line up that actually recorded new music was Rod Clements, Dave Hull-Denholm, Ian Thomson, Ray Laidlaw and Billy Mitchell. They carried on as Lindisfarne after Alan Hull died in 1995, but split up in 2003. By all accounts, only Laidlaw and Mitchell wanted to carry on, but the other 3 wanted to finish. Rod Clements included a song on his solo album 'Odd Man Out' that was a thinly disguised dig at his former bandmates (called 'Dead Man's Karaoke') So, it's ironic that the three who wanted to pack in eventually became the mainstays of the resurrected band. Of course Ray and Billy now tour as The Lindisfarne Story, performing songs and telling tales of the band. I've seen them a couple of times and they're very entertaining.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #733 on: April 11, 2022, 03:55:47 PM »

From their website:

Paul Smith
(2021-present)
Drums

The really interesting thing is that the last line up that actually recorded new music was Rod Clements, Dave Hull-Denholm, Ian Thomson, Ray Laidlaw and Billy Mitchell. They carried on as Lindisfarne after Alan Hull died in 1995, but split up in 2003. By all accounts, only Laidlaw and Mitchell wanted to carry on, but the other 3 wanted to finish. Rod Clements included a song on his solo album 'Odd Man Out' that was a thinly disguised dig at his former bandmates (called 'Dead Man's Karaoke') So, it's ironic that the three who wanted to pack in eventually became the mainstays of the resurrected band. Of course Ray and Billy now tour as The Lindisfarne Story, performing songs and telling tales of the band. I've seen them a couple of times and they're very entertaining.

It's a bloody complex history, that's for sure.  There is one biog I'm aware of - Dave Ian Hill's Fog on the Tyne written in '98.  Hard to find (well, not if you're happy with a Kindle version which is readily available for £7).  I do actually have a copy for sale on eBay as part of Operation fund going to Oz.

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #734 on: April 11, 2022, 08:10:51 PM »

The book was updated a while back, but I think it was only for Kindle. I have a hard copy of the original one, but, as you say, it stops at 1998

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #735 on: April 12, 2022, 07:15:22 AM »

The book was updated a while back, but I think it was only for Kindle. I have a hard copy of the original one, but, as you say, it stops at 1998

It does sometimes sell for 3 figures... Personally I'd have thought now was the time (after the documentary etc) for another hard copy.

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #736 on: April 12, 2022, 05:44:00 PM »

Just booked - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss at the new Moody Amphitheatre in Waterloo Park, Austin (f/k/a Waterloo), Texas, September 8!

This is a brand new venue with outdoor seating for about 6,000 souls, located in a big urban park in the heart of downtown Austin. This will be our first gig there, and I for one am excited to have another state-of-the-art listening joint in this town. I'm afraid it will poach some of the business away from the Circuit of the Americas Germania Amphitheatre, which I love, but the new place is 17 miles closer to my house.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #737 on: April 12, 2022, 05:51:15 PM »

Goldfrapp tomorrow for the 20th Anniversary Tour of Felt Mountain...22 years after it's release, and Nick Mason next Friday, also two years after the purchase of the ticket.

IwillnotbuyatourshirtIwillnotbuyatourshirtIwillnot..etc

Well I never did..
wayne stote

« Reply #738 on: April 12, 2022, 08:26:16 PM »

From their website:

Paul Smith
(2021-present)
Drums

It's a bloody complex history, that's for sure.  There is one biog I'm aware of - Dave Ian Hill's Fog on the Tyne written in '98.  Hard to find (well, not if you're happy with a Kindle version which is readily available for £7).  I do actually have a copy for sale on eBay as part of Operation fund going to Oz.

I recently bought a biography of the band - We Can Swing Together: The Story Of Lindisfarne - by John Van Der Kiste, which came out in 2017. Haven't read it yet and it's rather slight at a mere 176 pages, but I imagine it's relatively up to date.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #739 on: April 13, 2022, 02:54:25 PM »

I recently bought a biography of the band - We Can Swing Together: The Story Of Lindisfarne - by John Van Der Kiste, which came out in 2017. Haven't read it yet and it's rather slight at a mere 176 pages, but I imagine it's relatively up to date.

Didn't know about that one.  Will investigate  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 80   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: