TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:16:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 82   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 361733 times)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1560 on: March 04, 2024, 11:30:10 PM »

Brian Setzer, tomorrow night, Paramount Theater in Austin!

I've never seen him before. As I think I may have mentioned previously, after tomorrow I shall have a full set of Stray Cats. I saw Lee Rocker at the Rockabilly Revival some years ago, and I sat in front of Slim Jim Phantom and Britt Eklund at a Doobie Brothers show in Hollywood back in 1987.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1561 on: March 05, 2024, 12:37:28 AM »

Teddy Thompson, 3Ten Live, April 21!

This show went on sale three weeks ago and I just noticed it. Yay! Teddy has not played a proper show in Austin in ages. He has appeared at music industry showcases during SXSW, but I've never obtained the credentials to get into those spaces. He accompanied his mother back in 2001/2002 on her Fashionably Late tour, but I foolishly skipped it. Mrs. J From A and I were there for "Genesis Hall" at the Barbican in 2009 during Witchseason Weekend, and it remains our only live exposure to TT. We are quite excited and hopefully we'll get to say hello after the show. (I had a nice chat with Kofi Baker, Will Johns and their band at the same venue a few years back.)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1562 on: March 05, 2024, 03:50:34 PM »

This show went on sale three weeks ago and I just noticed it. Yay! Teddy has not played a proper show in Austin in ages. He has appeared at music industry showcases during SXSW, but I've never obtained the credentials to get into those spaces. He accompanied his mother back in 2001/2002 on her Fashionably Late tour, but I foolishly skipped it. Mrs. J From A and I were there for "Genesis Hall" at the Barbican in 2009 during Witchseason Weekend, and it remains our only live exposure to TT. We are quite excited and hopefully we'll get to say hello after the show. (I had a nice chat with Kofi Baker, Will Johns and their band at the same venue a few years back.)

I saw TT in 2022 in Suffolk with Zak Hobbs on guitar. He was tremendous value, and drily acerbic between songs. Enjoy!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1563 on: March 05, 2024, 04:21:33 PM »

I saw TT in 2022 in Suffolk with Zak Hobbs on guitar. He was tremendous value, and drily acerbic between songs. Enjoy!

Where in God's name does he get that from, eh? Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1564 on: March 05, 2024, 06:00:57 PM »

When it rains, it pours!

Burton Cummings and His Band, Arlington Music Hall, Arlington TX, in September!

Burton, singer and primary songwriter of The Guess Who from 1965-1975 (from "These Eyes" and "Laughing" through "No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature," "No Time," "American Woman," "Share the Land," "Clap for the Wolfman," "Star Baby," etc.), has not played Texas since the 2000-2003 Guess Who reunion tour, which I missed for no good reason. I have traveled to Albany, New York and Las Vegas, Nevada to see him previously, and he's worth the trip. Now he's finally appearing within 200 miles of my house!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1565 on: March 05, 2024, 06:22:22 PM »

Fairport in Tewkesbury on Friday - second row central seats,

then

Smoove & Turrell (soul/funk band from Newcastle) at Gloucester Guildhall on Saturday - standing (dancing?) gig.  Apparently socially & politically along the lines of Merry Hell  Smiley

Flobbadob!
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #1566 on: March 08, 2024, 01:05:51 PM »

I got Martha Tilston at Nottingham Bodega Thursday then Wille and the Bandits Nottingham Rescue Rooms a week and a bit later .

You are what you eat !!!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1567 on: March 09, 2024, 09:08:14 AM »

John Head (Pale Fountains/Shack) - brother of Mick and extraordinary songwriter in his own right.

"John Head plays at The Tung Auditorium with a collection of musicians he has met on his musical journey whilst being a guitarist, singer and songwriter with The Pale Fountains, Shack and The Strands. He also had a stint playing with his musical hero Arthur Lee."

https://thetungauditorium.com/events/john-head

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1568 on: March 09, 2024, 09:28:12 AM »

Spiers and Boden on Wednesday in Exeter

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
PJayBe

« Reply #1569 on: March 09, 2024, 09:55:28 AM »

Joshua Burnell in York tonight.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #1570 on: March 10, 2024, 11:43:20 AM »

I'm seriously considering the Big Country/Icicle Works concert in Bristol on 9th Feb, despite it being a 2 hour each way drive (possibly I could arrange an overnight with my brother-in-law after the concert if all things fall into place).

We'd go to the Liverpool one if we weren't going to a gig the night before. The Icicle Works is "just" a duo version but an interesting one as it's the first time Chris Layhe has been involved in a quarter of a century.

I didn’t go, but a chum reports that it was the worst ‘Icicle Works’ or Ian McNabb show he’d ever seen. An unrehearsed singer with an out of tune acoustic twelve string and a bass player/teacher desperately filling while he tries to fix it. Buy a tuner, Boots.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1571 on: March 10, 2024, 03:35:12 PM »

I'm seriously considering the Big Country/Icicle Works concert in Bristol on 9th Feb, despite it being a 2 hour each way drive (possibly I could arrange an overnight with my brother-in-law after the concert if all things fall into place).

We'd go to the Liverpool one if we weren't going to a gig the night before. The Icicle Works is "just" a duo version but an interesting one as it's the first time Chris Layhe has been involved in a quarter of a century.

I didn’t go, but a chum reports that it was the worst ‘Icicle Works’ or Ian McNabb show he’d ever seen. An unrehearsed singer with an out of tune acoustic twelve string and a bass player/teacher desperately filling while he tries to fix it. Buy a tuner, Boots.

That's interesting...all the reviews I've read (of the tour, not this specific show) have been exemplary...

Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #1572 on: March 10, 2024, 07:00:10 PM »

All I asked was “Did he get the audience to sing the choruses?” Came the answer, yes.

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1573 on: March 11, 2024, 11:42:38 AM »

Justin Hayward, Swansea - tomorrow. Looking forward to this. I've seen him a couple of times solo before and he never disappoints.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Peter Allen

« Reply #1574 on: March 11, 2024, 02:25:30 PM »

My first live act were the Blue Jays in
1975 ? Or more correctly AJ Webber , who supported , heard "Blue Guitar" on the radio as we were driving into Hull that night
Peter Allen

« Reply #1575 on: March 12, 2024, 08:41:12 PM »

Just booked for Deborah Bonham in Hull next month , think she was at Croppers around 2004 ??
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1576 on: March 12, 2024, 11:32:40 PM »

Just booked for Deborah Bonham in Hull next month , think she was at Croppers around 2004 ??
She was at Skeggy in 2012.

She mentioned her brother a lot.

But the music was ok.

When she left she tripped and seriously smashed her face into the asphalt in the car park. I hope she's recovered well.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1577 on: March 13, 2024, 08:24:13 AM »

It was 2002.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hWIAkUfqUM

Hmmm.

Peter Allen

« Reply #1578 on: March 13, 2024, 09:29:42 AM »

Must admit it's more to see / hear her guitar player Peter Bullick
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1579 on: March 15, 2024, 11:23:14 AM »

The last tour got lost in the Pandemic...but Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds are on the road again in the Autumn...

* 431894058_952504149579678_2832735453285131209_n.jpg (740.59 KB, 1200x1500 - viewed 137 times.)

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 82   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: