TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 15, 2020, 08:10:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sidmouth  (Read 1358 times)
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« on: August 19, 2019, 05:57:07 PM »

We had the same weather issues in Sidmouth.  The last couple of performances were curtailed, because the organisers were worried about parts of the two main marquees blowing down.

Never mind, the rest of the week was good.  I particularly enjoyed Steve Knightley’s ’50 Shades of Sidmouth’, which traced his career from beachside busker to festival patron.  There were lots of guests, ranging from the folk club musicians that he played with in the early days to his daughter (her debut, I think?).  He also played a selection of SOH numbers backed by the town band (a large brass band).

Lots of fine acts that I had not seen before – Mama’s Broke, Lisa O’Neill, Alice Jones, the Brothers Gillespie, Jeff Warner, Hannah James and Toby Kuhn (a new pairing), Gwenifer Raymond, Iona Fyfe, and Granny’s Attic.  However, my favourites were OBT, a dynamic young Scottish trio, and the Kimberleys.  The latter do a very nice version of Tam Lin.  The lead singer – also an artist – won an award for the graphics on the Youtube video.  It may have been posted on here before, but well worth a look if you have not seen it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z9-mmUBSrw
DawnG

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 09:18:01 PM »

The Ham marquee was taken down after RT's gig on the Thursday evening. the food stalls also packed up there were no traders along the sea front on Friday even the ice cream stall opposite our hotel was closed! shame about the procession & fireworks but the rest of the week was brilliant. Saw quite a few acts I'd not seen before.
dog-nap (Ian)

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 04:14:14 PM »

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but just a reminder that Sidmouth’s online festival is taking place this weekend.  Live concerts and videos giving a flavour of the many other events that normally take place during the week.  The weather today would have been absolutely perfect for it (sigh).
http://sidmouthfolkfestival-live.co.uk/index.html

PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 04:55:38 PM »

... apart from the torrential downpour that caught us halfway between Teignmouth and Dawlish around lunchtime - it was heading across the bay towards Sidmouth.

Said the straight man, to the late man...
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 05:45:11 PM »

... apart from the torrential downpour that caught us halfway between Teignmouth and Dawlish around lunchtime - it was heading across the bay towards Sidmouth.

Funnily enough I caught that (or very similar) on the phone (was chatting to the in-laws who live in Sidmouth, and are I'm sad to report delighted at the lack of a folk festival this year the miserable swines)...

If you know of a nice property to rent in 'Mid Wales'/The borders (Powys really, possibly Ceredigion/Monmouthshire or Herefordshire) for a year from now do please drop me a line.  Many thanks!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 06:12:56 PM »

Funnily enough I caught that (or very similar) on the phone.  I was chatting to the in-laws who live in Sidmouth (and are I'm sad to report delighted at the lack of a folk festival this year the miserable swines)...

If you know of a nice property to rent in 'Mid Wales'/The borders (Powys really, possibly Ceredigion/Monmouthshire or Herefordshire) for a year from now do please drop me a line.  Many thanks!
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Local Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 08:58:30 PM »

Ralph McTell talking about Sidmouth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww2JZz3WpR8&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2gsGYoGcvxlb4NOz1vWAXfmhinwsLLLK9xI0k7149Hg0xL-GuHKub3Yco

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
dog-nap (Ian)

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 12:22:37 AM »

Okay, so normal festival weather then…  Smiley
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 09:27:50 AM »

It caught us just after lunchtime just north of Seaton!  If I'd known you were in the area at the weekend we could have met up!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: