TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 19, 2019, 07:58:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compere - AJC  (Read 295 times)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« on: August 14, 2019, 10:48:19 AM »

Maybe all the issues about the weather and backstage concerns got to him but I thought AJC was not in good form this year. Introductions generally pretty poor, banter with the crowd a bit off kilter and just far too many reading out of tweets.

DW
PhilipK

Loc: Hampshire, UK

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 03:14:04 PM »

I thought that he was extremely low key compared with last year - he actually said very little
  • throughout.
  • apart from "ladies and gentlemen", where he seems to be trying to outdo Jools Holland for how often he could use the phrase...

--
Philip
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 03:26:48 PM »

I have to disagree... AJ was on form with his wit and genuine charm this year as before.

It was a very stressful weekend for everyone in the organisation due to the appalling, at times, weather and all the health and safety issues.

His lovely wife Julia told me that he had hardly eaten because of having to be close to the action all the time as things could have changed at any minute.

Just watch the You Tube clip of his introduction to Georgia Lucas to see his professionalism.

So hats off to AJ, he doesn’t deserve criticism.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 03:51:35 PM »

I couldn’t detect anything he’s got massive shoes to fill and I think he does a great job.  

and the stars look very different today
Sue & Chris

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 04:24:05 PM »

I thought he seemed a bit downbeat. It may have been the stress of the weather situation, but at times he didn't seem to want to be there. Wonder if he should take a year off next time?

And I still miss the reading out of the football scores. It was a regular thing with Danny Thompson, but I don't think AJC has ever done it. I know we all have smartphones now, but it was a little Cropredy tradition that has now gone the way of the milk floats roaming the campsites and people standing up to watch Fairport.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 05:41:07 PM »

Seem to remember people saying similar things last year that he seemed a little downbeat but I thought he did a decent job in very trying conditions at times

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: