TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 19, 2019, 07:59:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Food  (Read 1028 times)
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!

Loc: Isle of Skye

...rivers always reach the sea.

« on: August 13, 2019, 10:31:22 AM »

What did you enjoy this year?

We loved the Chow Mein and spring rolls from the stall on the bar side of the field. We tried some other things, but had that again in the end as it was best value and delicious.

The flatbreads at the top were delicious, too,  but TINY for the £8.50 meat/£8.00 veggie.

Ostrich burgers were lovely but, again, tiny and the baps were like a puff of air. J and a lad we know had meatballs, also then having to go and have a burger as the portion was too small.

Thinking we may have to get organised and bring more of our own food and drink next time, as cups of tea cost us around £40 ...not best use of hard-saved holiday money.

Meminesse sed providere
StephenB
something about the grinding beat

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

Some boy to be one boy - I should have been twins

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 10:59:04 AM »

Best for me on the field was a bit of food tourism- lovely sweet potato fries from the Asian place high on the left (facing upward) augmented quickly before they went cold with a big piece of fish and mushy peas from down below.

Absolute best value anywhere? The burgers at the cricket club for £2.50.

If I could be any animal I wanted...
there'd be something really heavy going on.
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 11:08:36 AM »

the cricket pav had it for me this year, such good value and their bacon and egg roll was as good as any and right next door to where we were camped.
i had a FULL english breakfast on F8 for 7 or 8 quid, and i had a table and chair to sit on out of the rain and it came on a proper plate with metal cutlery, so that was a win win situation, if a bit of a walk from F2.

all in all, with the exception of a handful of traders the food was cheaper than average.

it'll be fine.......
iandiddams

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 11:24:25 AM »

interesting posts thus far.

1) I perceived the prices on the field were higher than in the past generally.  A tenner+ for a plate of noodles which is mainly noodle seemed steep. The flatbreads were apparently nice but as already mentioned the portion size was woefully small

2) Leons as ever fantastic food and I thought still really good prices

3) the teamed buns things were nice - the jackfruit is what I tried and was quite spicy in its own right let alone with the sauces avaiable to augment it!

4) cricket club burgers etc are a bargain.

Thursday on the field I was twice under-changed by 50p on two different stalls out of the three I used - my personal jury is still out on whether they were genuine accidents (long days for the staff etc) or something a little more clandestine and nefarious was occurring.  After that I made sure I tendered the exact price (lots of scabbling around getting sufficient change of friends etc!)

Having a campervan we take a lot of food and drink and eat well at breakfast and before going up to the field, so usually just the one hot meal from a stall.

didds
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 12:01:56 PM »

Regular steak Oggie, £5.50 for a handful of pastry and a teaspoon of filling, absolutely dreadful.

DW
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 12:12:43 PM »

Spring Rolls @£2 were delicious.

Burritos @£9 were delicious but expensive.

Doughnuts and Hot Chocolate from the Doughnut stall were lovely.

Leon's desserts were good, but went from 3 for £7 on Friday to 3 for £10 on Saturday.

F8's bar hadn't tapped their beer barrels yet on the only occasion we got there. So... disappointed.

I was strangely indifferent to the Bar's offerings this year. Probably had 5 pints total.

Pavilion Egg'n'bacon rolls superb as always.

See What I did in 2018  for a selection of my photos.
JennyB
chums at Bloodstock

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 12:22:20 PM »

Jumbo breakfast at the Village Hall was a lifesaver on Sunday! Ostrich burger small but delicious, Greek wrap ended up mostly all down my front, winner on the field was the steak and chip special...  Prices seemed alright for a festival, though I always despair over how much a portion of chips can cost. Had a fair few coronation chicken sandwiches from the shop to try and keep the budget on track.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 12:24:26 PM »

The Indian non-veggie Thali was good - I enjoyed that on Saturday evening - though a bit awkward to keep from spilling on my legs on a paper plate!

I very much enjoyed the buffalo burger, and also the sweet potato chips.  Fish and chips the first evening was good too.

Nachos were a bit disappointing, on the other hand - cold, slathered with plastic cheese and only a bit of guacamole and sour cream.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 01:21:04 PM »

Best of the weekend was tea and cake at the Methodist chapel complete with plaques remembering their organist John Bonham!!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 06:09:20 PM »

We walked into the village and had a fab full English at the little cafe opposite the Brasenose £20 for 2 breakfasts and 2 pots of tea. Kept us full until evening when we both had lamb curry which was ok but nothing special.

Friday we had sausages in rolls from Northfields (?) farm stall for brekky. V nice. Then pizza in the evening and a cheeky garlic bread. V decent pizza but needed a lot more topping!

Saturday we had fish & chips in the field. Ok but the batter was greasy and rock hard  Sad I really wish I’d had noodles instead as they’ve always been good in the past, or one of Leon’s burgers.  Was crying out for salad all weekend!!

Oh - and I didn’t drink. Not a single bit of alcohol! No idea how but I managed a dry Cropredy  Cool

Confusion will be my epitaph
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 09:56:34 PM »

Afraid my Cropredy Fahrenheit was the usual mix of burgers, chips, bacon rolls and a foot long hot dog! However best on the field was the chicken tikka wrap from the Indian street food place. Oh and I stocked up every morning with a cooked breakfast with as many sausages, fried or scrambled eggs, bacon, mushrooms, hash browns, baked beans, tomatoes and toast together with tea, coffee, fruit juices as you liked at the hotel we stayed at...breakfast was part of the room cost

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 03:53:16 AM »

Excellent salad and nut roast from Leon's.
Noodles, tempura veg and sweet & sour chicken.
Disappointing fish and chips (reheated chips and tough, greasy batter)
Delicious lamb rogan
Forgotten what else...at least one other vegetarian option with salad.
Oh, and cake and hot chocolate with cream on top!  Tongue

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 09:23:28 AM »

Pakoras from Indian Street Food stall. 5 huge pakoras for £5 was extremely good value.
Fish and Chips very good again this year.
Burger from the stall on the bar side of the field. Excellent but a little expensive.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Johnny Mann

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 09:25:34 AM »

The Goan Fish curry was gorgeous, even if I could have eaten twice the amount they gave you.....but I went back twice so I mustn’t have minded that much. I enjoyed the Fish n chips but heard some saying the fish was too dry, have to say mine was very nice, with tons of chips. I had a steak and ale oggie. That was...well, it wasn’t that bad but it wasn’t that good either. I made a massive veggie chilli for the three of us that camped and that lasted us 2 days. It’s a bbc recipe and really tasty. I like festival food but it can be a bit hit and miss. Next year I will definitely make a big pan of something again to supplement the arena food. I took bananas, peaches, nuts as well so I wasn’t snacking on expensive rubbish during the day.  Smiley
iandiddams

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 09:43:26 AM »

I took bananas, peaches, nuts as well so I wasn’t snacking on expensive rubbish during the day.  Smiley

yeah - I pack tins of mackerel and a fork, babybel cheeses, mini pork pies and the like to snack on as well.

didds
PhilipK

Loc: Hampshire, UK

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 03:24:33 PM »

We went for the falafel and hummus pittas (£7.50) from the Vegetarian and Vegan stall - which is unusual for me, as I normally expect a hunk of dead animal as part of any meal.

They were nice, but not quite as good as I remember them from last year.

One breakfast at the Red Lion (mine was OK, my wife's vegetarian option was reportedly very good) and one on F8 (good, but somewhat chaotic).

And they had Corvus Stout at the beer tent - what more could anybody wish for!

--
Philip
iandiddams

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 04:30:03 PM »

And they had Corvus Stout at the beer tent - what more could anybody wish for!

.... errr...  dry hopped, unfileterd, unfined > 5% IPA, or a smoked porter or coffee stout...  a kriek or three and a throat smashing really bitter (best if possible) bitter (CF Masterbrew from back in the 80s)

??

:-)

Corvus is a bit guiness like - bit plastic .  But of course - each to their own!  :-)
didds
PhilipK

Loc: Hampshire, UK

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 04:37:45 PM »

Understand what you say about Corvus, but it's such a  rare treat to find any stout/porter (other than a woeful thing called Guinness, which bears no relationship whatsoever to real Guinness) that I was happy - especially when I was drinking it out of a pewter tankard during the 2.7 microseconds of sunshine that we had this year :-)

--
Philip
iandiddams

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 04:43:46 PM »

Understand what you say about Corvus, but it's such a  rare treat to find any stout/porter (other than a woeful thing called Guinness, which bears no relationship whatsoever to real Guinness) that I was happy - especially when I was drinking it out of a pewter tankard during the 2.7 microseconds of sunshine that we had this year :-)

and that's totally acceptable :-)  Cider Bar  aka The Edge had no stout/porter cos I asked. Didnt venture to the pu8bs this year so have no idea what they may stock (and cant remember from previous years) but i expect its standard guiness ?

didds
vince42

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 11:08:16 PM »

Thoroughly enjoyed veggie burrito from the mexican food stall.  Had the veggie thali again from the indian street food.  Both good sized portions for £10.

Had a good coffee at the F7a van on friday but was annoyed they weren't open Thursday night.  Seem to remember it has been in previous years.  Also - no shop at F7a this year.  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: