TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 14, 2019, 11:36:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Field 8  (Read 2016 times)
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« on: August 11, 2019, 11:54:13 PM »

so what are opinions on F8?
we weren't camped there but visited and we thought it was great.
good value food and a good bar, dry marquee with constant and good music, lovely fire pit......

we considered buying camping tix but didnt in the end as we have been going on backpackers for several years now and it seemed that buying a ticket to F8 was literally paying more to be further away......and you can go onto the feild anyway.......

i think it's going to keep growing  Smiley

it'll be fine.......
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 11:57:18 PM »

It was a long way to walk up from F2 on a hot day, only to find that they hadn't tapped the beer barrels yet.

See What I did in 2018  for a selection of my photos.
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 12:06:24 AM »

It was a long way to walk up from F2 on a hot day, only to find that they hadn't tapped the beer barrels yet.

oh that is disappointing however i don't think bar managing is really their forte, i think it will get better!

it'll be fine.......
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 01:38:47 AM »

They have some good music there, but when we visited everyone looked totally out of it (especially those sat at the fire pit on leather settees...).

Not feeling the need to camp there but it all seems ok and it enables people to arrive on the Weds.

Confusion will be my epitaph
StephenB
something about the grinding beat

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

Some boy to be one boy - I should have been twins

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 02:05:03 AM »

It's pretty hippy dippy but handy for a nice cheap pint of Rosie and a musical extension on thurs night (if you're staying in 7 or Cool and a couple of worthwhile fringe choices , especially Scott Doonican, a consummate professional musician who makes humour look easy. Had the crowd to well outside the marquee in his hands.

If I could be any animal I wanted...
there'd be something really heavy going on.
Wandering Steve

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 06:10:27 AM »

Be interesting to see if itís open next year.
I heard that itís not going to be part of the official festival next time around....
A bit like the edge....
A commercial set up....

I think the festival will be offering its own glamping etc.

Itís worth noting that it also had music on till midnight every night and itís probably having an impact on the numbers at the official event.
The pubs etc finish at eight

Interestingly field 8 wasnít fenced off this year(ie anyone could have jumped the small wall to get in) and I guess this was down to who picked up the bill ?

Someone mentioned that next year all tickets will include camping so that the official sites are used.
They will be sold at an all in price...

Makes it a bit more expensive if you donít camp but I guess itíll all be going towards keeping the festival going and will make commercial ventures less attractive.

Mind you itís a year away and a lot can change...
Come December itíll be interesting to see if field eight is a camping option when ordering tickets.....
A case of wait and see.
iandiddams

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 10:48:16 AM »

B
Someone mentioned that next year all tickets will include camping so that the official sites are used.

Makes it a bit more expensive if you donít camp but I guess itíll all be going towards keeping the festival going and will make commercial ventures less attractive.

so four people in a car with a large tent fitting all of them will pay £160 for three nights camping?  Really?  On top of the festival ticket?  (ubnless of course it ends up being substantially less than the current £40 per vehicle approach etc etc etc)

didds

abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 10:53:53 AM »

I think the festival will be offering its own glamping etc.

Itís worth noting that it also had music on till midnight every night and itís probably having an impact on the numbers at the official event.
The pubs etc finish at eight.

the festival already has glamping.

i certainly took my trade to F8 for food and drinks and i skipped Seth on the main stage in favour of a band on F8.  it could do great things which could really have an effect on the festival, when coupled with the fringe and the edge.......

it'll be fine.......
Wandering Steve

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 12:08:38 PM »

B

so four people in a car with a large tent fitting all of them will pay £160 for three nights camping? †Really? †On top of the festival ticket? †(ubnless of course it ends up being substantially less than the current £40 per vehicle approach etc etc etc)

didds

Itíll be a combined price I imagine
Tickets £160 all in,including camping.
Thatíll be more revenue for the festival and encourage official camping,also stops resale of individual camping tickets.

You can still stay in hotels,field 8 etc but youíd be paying extra on top of the £160 if thatís what you wish.
Iíve no problem as it encourages official camping rather than private enterprise if thatís the way itís going.

Letís face it the official bar must be losing money to the unofficial edge.
If field 8 goes independant then thatís more money lost to the festival

Itíd be interesting to know how much food revenue is down with food available at field 8 and the edge?
Stall holders are not going to continue paying to have food stands inside the festival if revenue is down due to unofficial eateries popping up.

Basically the way to combat this is a combined concert/camping ticket and Iíve no problem with if it means more money going to the official festival rather than being spent elsewhere.

Itíll be interesting to see if field 8 is an official camping site next year and part of the festival or another free enterprise which will have a detrimental effect on the future of the event.

hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 03:40:28 PM »

I had a couple of years 2014/5 HuhHuh?? When I just did the fringe and camped at the site opposite Bridge stores. Brilliant.....got there on Mon or Tues evening to enjoy Village as intí old days.
I never mentioned cos Campsite was little known then. Whole world knows about it now!!!
When I first used it 2013: there were only5 vans on it.....
Camping in with ticket price will change this option for some people.
Wandering Steve

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 03:54:11 PM »

Letís see if it comes to pass...
Itís a long way off and things may change before then.
LauraPountney

Loc: Cropredy

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 04:06:53 PM »

What about local people who arenít camping at all? Makes it more expensive for them.
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 04:16:55 PM »

What about local people who arenít camping at all? Makes it more expensive for them.

compare to most other festivals where there is one ticket price with camping included.......and you can't take your car onto the campsite.....hmmmmm how good do we have it at cropredy?

it'll be fine.......
iandiddams

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 04:28:10 PM »

Tickets £160 all in,including camping.

That just increased the group-of-four-in-one-car-and-a-shared-tent scenario by £120.  Ouch.  Even a couple that's another £40 just for doing exactly the same.

Iíve no problem as it encourages official camping rather than private enterprise if thatís the way itís going.

...  i don't see an issue with private enterprise TBH.  it is after all what our entire society is based on.

Letís face it the official bar must be losing money to the unofficial edge.

then maybe the unnoffical bar needs to reflect why - less choice of beer/cider/spirits etc and comparative pricing.  Of course Waddies may be paying substantially more for their pitch of course - but then that is down to the festival if its bothers them that the edge has cheaper food and drink.

Stall holders are not going to continue paying to have food stands inside the festival if revenue is down due to unofficial eateries popping up.

indeed. "unofficial" though?  That might suggest somebody fl;ogging pies out of a back pack wandering ar4ound the main field.  eateries etc based oin other people's land fiulfulling other normal insurance and env health requirements arent "unofficial" - their just unaffiated, but making very l;ittle if any attempt to pass them selves off etc.  The cricket club is presumably "unofficial" too ?  And the p;ubs?  (huge burger for a fiver in the red lion at the weekend etc).

Basically the way to combat this is a combined concert/camping ticket and Iíve no problem with if it means more money going to the official festival rather than being spent elsewhere.

"combat" ? what about people airbnb-0ing their spare room (it MUST happen?).  Or their driveway for a campervan?  the various breakfast stops - none of these are "officikal" surely?  what about boats on the canal?  Seems to me a case of tails wagging dogs.

And £40 a head is way steep for a place to stick a tent and some temporary bogs and un-potable water.

Itíll be interesting to see if field 8 is an official camping site next year and part of the festival or another free enterprise which will have a detrimental effect on the future of the event.

well, adding £40 a head for >1 in a group will go a fair way to putting people off I'd suggest for a starter.

That doesnt make you wrong of course Steve :-)

didds
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 05:19:05 PM »

This is all speculation

I doubt it will change

Confusion will be my epitaph
iandiddams

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 05:32:56 PM »

I could see a possible "including camping" addition to the ticket.

I cant see £40 per head being workable/successful and would if anything stop people coming.  £120 buys a lot of beer - or even a whole ticket to another festival.  Or two allegedly.

didds
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 02:49:26 AM »

This is all speculation

I doubt it will change

I'm with you on the whole, sis. However, all these extra places with bands kind of take away from Fairport's principle of a single stage festival. And more than once I could hear music from The Edge or Field 8 while there was something on stage in the main field.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 06:18:20 AM »

I cant see £40 per head being workable/successful and would if anything stop people coming.† £120 buys a lot of beer - or even a whole ticket to another festival.† Or two allegedly.

No allegedly for Something Else in the Dunny in a few weeks. £60 a head. Camp by or what you came in for no extra cost. Cheap beer and cider. Acts include 3DM and the Barstewards. At Dunns Tew, south of Banbury.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
iandiddams

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 09:45:49 AM »

I cant see £40 per head being workable/successful and would if anything stop people coming.† £120 buys a lot of beer - or even a whole ticket to another festival.† Or two allegedly.

No allegedly for Something Else in the Dunny in a few weeks. £60 a head. Camp by or what you came in for no extra cost. Cheap beer and cider. Acts include 3DM and the Barstewards. At Dunns Tew, south of Banbury.

yup.  Or Langaland in Deveon, £45 for three days including camping

http://www.langaland.org.uk

didds
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 10:02:01 AM »

We have done 32 Cropredys on the bounce. There is absolutely no way I would go back to camping on the normal fields due to the stewarding and timing. At the moment we come down on the Tuesday , if the all in charges are prohibitive we would come on Monday and do both warm ups, Trad arrr and the fringe.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: