TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 14, 2019, 11:37:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lot of room  (Read 7408 times)
iandiddams

« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2019, 09:42:47 AM »

We get plenty if tribute bands at the local theatre,  often very good and usually well supported. I don't need to go to Cropredy for that.

^^^  this.

We get plenty of tribute acts come though our town...  the problem is finding the good ones ...  I've seen a terrible Blondie Tribute (though to be fair to them, it was more the tech was poor than them themselves but we left after 30 minutes), and a brilliant local Pink Floyd Tribute band ...  so its not so much a problem of being "tribute" just whether they are worth listening to in the first place.  That Beatles lot two or three years ago at Cropredy were woeful. And of course Aussie PF played cropredy backj in 2014 IIRC, who were excellent by all accounts Ive heard.

didds

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2019, 09:50:08 AM »

We get plenty if tribute bands at the local theatre,  often very good and usually well supported. I don't need to go to Cropredy for that.

My sentiments exactly. I do Front of House duties for the local public hall and we must get at least 2 tribute bands a month. As you say most are pretty good and get well supported but are only good enough for local 200-ish size audiences not strong enough for Cropredy. There I want to be treated to ‘proper’ artists not those trying to be someone else  Embarrassed

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2019, 10:27:25 AM »

My sentiments exactly. I do Front of House duties for the local public hall and we must get at least 2 tribute bands a month. As you say most are pretty good and get well supported but are only good enough for local 200-ish size audiences not strong enough for Cropredy. There I want to be treated to ‘proper’ artists not those trying to be someone else  Embarrassed

That's how I feel. It isn't that they lack quality, just that Cropredy should be aiming much higher. The Dylan Project are an exception though, the Croppers/FC connections make them ideal for a place on the line-up. Every year.  Smiley
StephenB
something about the grinding beat

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

Some boy to be one boy - I should have been twins

« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2019, 10:28:46 AM »

Australian Pink Floyd did a pretty good job I thought (or maybe it was something i was on at the time -  I kept seeing lights in the sky and giant pink flying kangaroos. )

If I could be any animal I wanted...
there'd be something really heavy going on.
Brian Green

« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2019, 11:31:42 AM »

Not a tribute band but the new Gong have no original band members and put on a great show.
They are touring with Steve Hillage in the Autumn.
I think both would be good to see at Cropredy.
PeteD
They choose the path where no one goes...Gercha!

« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2019, 12:50:50 PM »

I think just one tribute band on the bill, if they’re really good, over a whole weekend of different bands, some old, some new etc,  wouldn’t bother me. Sadly we can’t see Bowie any more, but I’ve seen a tribute who was really good. Sure I can listen to my Bowie CDs, and I can reminisce about when I saw the real thing, but in a festival setting, with a few drinks of good ale, singing along to all the songs I know and love, yes please. Not to everyone’s taste, but that’s what makes a good festival for me. Something for everyone.  Smiley

Yes I agree one tribute band on the bill is fine particularly for a Saturday afternoon slot. Remember Legend Live a few years back? They were brilliant.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2019, 01:11:37 PM »

I think just one tribute band on the bill, if they’re really good, over a whole weekend of different bands, some old, some new etc,  wouldn’t bother me. Sadly we can’t see Bowie any more, but I’ve seen a tribute who was really good. Sure I can listen to my Bowie CDs, and I can reminisce about when I saw the real thing, but in a festival setting, with a few drinks of good ale, singing along to all the songs I know and love, yes please. Not to everyone’s taste, but that’s what makes a good festival for me. Something for everyone.  Smiley

Yes I agree one tribute band on the bill is fine particularly for a Saturday afternoon slot. Remember Legend Live a few years back? They were brilliant.
Some tribute acts are tremendous - anyone seen Limehouse Lizzie? You would swear it was Phil Lynott up there, and the band are massive fans and enjoy themselves which makes it a joy to watch. Also From The Jam with original bassist Bruce Foxton are brilliant - and they also do their own stuff which is excellent.

It's easy to write off tribute acts as a bit naff or cabaret but they can be really good and enjoyable. There's definitely a place at Cropredy for the right ones (Legend, Oz Pink Floyd, Santana etc)

Confusion will be my epitaph
Fegg

« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2019, 02:08:49 PM »

It's easy to write off tribute acts as a bit naff or cabaret but they can be really good and enjoyable. There's definitely a place at Cropredy for the right ones (Legend, Oz Pink Floyd, Santana etc)

Spot on, Bridget.
And Aussie Floyd sell out arenas around the world, which elevates them into a different category altogether. Er, I'm not sure what you'd call it... Super-tribute band, perhaps?
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2019, 03:21:06 PM »

The Ozzie Pink Floyd was one of my stand out Crop performances...  even though the rain was
Coming down in stair rods...  it was incredibly memorable, as was Alice Cooper.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Chris J
n3wb

« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2019, 03:46:13 PM »

There's a festival near Nottingham called Glastonbudget which runs for, I think, 3 days and is all tribute bands and excellent they are. Sometimes it's the closest you'll get to the real thing, what with bands not existing any more or band members dying, take Status Quo for example, just released a new album and there's only Francis Rossi left. I was and still am a great Small Faces fan and can thoroughly recommend The Small Fakers as one of the very best tribute bands I've seen.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2019, 04:49:46 PM »

If you look at it one way, every true folk singer in the world is a tribute/coverband.
If you look at it from another, the vast majority of 'bands' from my fave era still out touring have but a single original member, if that, and are not far off a tribute.
If you look at it from yet another way, you're likely to get neck ache, so stop moving your head about like that, you'll hurt yourself.

Well I never did..
Johnny Mann

« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2019, 07:03:13 PM »

Some tribute acts are tremendous - anyone seen Limehouse Lizzie? You would swear it was Phil Lynott up there, and the band are massive fans and enjoy themselves which makes it a joy to watch. Also From The Jam with original bassist Bruce Foxton are brilliant - and they also do their own stuff which is excellent.

I totally agree. Maybe some tributes can only play to audiences of 200 people ( though I don’t think that in itself should be a bar to playing Cropredy or some of the less known original artists wouldn’t get a look in either), but there are some like Rumours Of Fleetwood Mac who sell out big theatres across the country. Limehouse Lizzy would go down a storm. And I remember Legend being fantastic. As I say, to me personally, one great tribute band, over a whole weekend of fantastic music, works well.
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2019, 09:32:59 AM »

There's a festival near Nottingham called Glastonbudget which runs for, I think, 3 days and is all tribute bands and excellent they are. Sometimes it's the closest you'll get to the real thing, what with bands not existing any more or band members dying, take Status Quo for example, just released a new album and there's only Francis Rossi left. I was and still am a great Small Faces fan and can thoroughly recommend The Small Fakers as one of the very best tribute bands I've seen.

Bridgwit has already mentioned our local 3 day tribute festival,  Glastonbarry,  which has grown every year over the ten years it's been going and is a highlight of the local music scene. Last year they also staged Toploader who were touring at the time so were probably not too expensive (have they done anything other than Dancing in the Moonlight?). It's a good-humoured festie and the bands get a very warm welcome.
In the absence of Steely Dan and the Eagles, I'd be more than happy to see Nearly Dan or the Illegal Eagles as a Thursday second headline at Cropredy, but it's no substitute for the real thing.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2019, 10:02:56 AM »

I would say that I am happy with a band like Legend or Dylan Project who simply play the music of a particular act and make it their own- I am less sure about the "dress up" style of tribute like Bootleg Beatles or Counterfeit Stones.

There is a great Eagles band called Talon who would be worth a pop IMHO.

DW
StephenB
something about the grinding beat

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

Some boy to be one boy - I should have been twins

« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2019, 12:36:25 PM »

I've seen Talon - quite agree they'd do the job for me.

If I could be any animal I wanted...
there'd be something really heavy going on.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: