TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 13, 2019, 02:27:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lot of room  (Read 7390 times)
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2019, 12:07:57 PM »

i heard Queen at LiveAid,  was staying with a friend down the road.  didn't see them.
i'd still love the chance to see them even without Freddy.

i think the film is **** BTW

it'll be fine.......
JennyB
chums at Bloodstock

« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2019, 12:18:24 PM »

Whilst we're brainstorming - What would people make of Tony Iommi?
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2019, 12:34:35 PM »

The big question is, if this year's line up is not good enough to tempt people, what would be?

Leaving aside the question of headliners (Queen, for instance, would have me running for the hills, or at least in the direction of another festival) but lower down the running order, how about building the line-up around the likes of Merry Hell, 3 Daft Monkeys, Outcast Band (if they still exist), Nancy Kerr & James Fagan, Skerryvore or Peatbogs, Lankum, Grannys Attic, Greg Russell and Ciaran Algar, Baskery, and some lesser known folkie types such as Under The Banner, Roving Crows, Leylines.
I doubt any of those would break the bank, and they would, I believe, fit with what a large part of the attendees and lapsed attendees, would enjoy.
Throw in a bit of variety - punk, reggae, cajun or Quebecois, and a couple of headliners and I think it would work.
All of the above are good, but none of them, imo, are bland or too forgettable (unlike a few this year). I'm sure plenty of other names can be suggested.
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2019, 12:37:48 PM »

now we have just about come around to playing fantasy festival again  Wink

where do i start?  Huh

it'll be fine.......
Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2019, 12:42:58 PM »

now we have just about come around to playing fantasy festival again  Wink

where do i start?  Huh

Blimey, that lot wouldn't be my fantasy festival, even if I do like them all.  Grin

A question was asked, I tried to answer it with some cheapish (I think) suggestions that would be popular (again, I think).

Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2019, 12:51:31 PM »

Catching an act already on tour would be much cheaper than a one-off appearance.

This was my problem with the line up this year.  Whilst I thought it was a fantastic lineup, I've already seen or will be seeing half of the bands on the bill during 2019.

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2019, 12:55:34 PM »

Catching an act already on tour would be much cheaper than a one-off appearance.

This was my problem with the line up this year.  Whilst I thought it was a fantastic lineup, I've already seen or will be seeing half of the bands on the bill during 2019.

that is the deal when you do the festival circuit.  you have to choose your arguments these days.

it'll be fine.......
StephenB
something about the grinding beat

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

Some boy to be one boy - I should have been twins

« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2019, 01:18:49 PM »

Then you're a lucky one, Dunc. Many of us don't have the luxury of that problem.

If I could be any animal I wanted...
there'd be something really heavy going on.
Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2019, 03:53:10 PM »

I heard that there are now over 400 festivals in the UK, excluding little ones, so there is so much choice. Plus people don't need to travel so much as perhaps in the past so they stay local. (We live 4 miles from Wickham festival but chose to go to Cropredy instead, may review this next year).I think a strong name on Thursday would draw more crowds, and that needs to be a younger artist (Waterboys been around too long and not enough hits to stand by). Frank Turner did seem to attract some younger people, as I had not even heard of him, but that aside, the line up had too many unknowns to draw a crowd.

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2019, 04:41:31 PM »

The big question is, if this year's line up is not good enough to tempt people, what would be?

Leaving aside the question of headliners (Queen, for instance, would have me running for the hills, or at least in the direction of another festival) but lower down the running order, how about building the line-up around the likes of Merry Hell, 3 Daft Monkeys, Outcast Band (if they still exist), Nancy Kerr & James Fagan, Skerryvore or Peatbogs, Lankum, Grannys Attic, Greg Russell and Ciaran Algar, Baskery, and some lesser known folkie types such as Under The Banner, Roving Crows, Leylines.
I doubt any of those would break the bank, and they would, I believe, fit with what a large part of the attendees and lapsed attendees, would enjoy.
Throw in a bit of variety - punk, reggae, cajun or Quebecois, and a couple of headliners and I think it would work.
All of the above are good, but none of them, imo, are bland or too forgettable (unlike a few this year). I'm sure plenty of other names can be suggested.

What you have described is what Cropredy does now. I have seen most of those acts at the festival over the years (admittedly not all at the same time.)

If there is any criticism of the line up this year, it is that they went all in on the 'headline' acts, leaving the undercard looking a bit thin. In previous years, they have done what you describe - lots of decent ('mid-cost' ) bands, which has meant compromise on the headliners (cheaper or left field choices.) And they were criticised for that as well.

If I were the organisers, I'd be tearing my hair out. What people seem to want is expensive headliners, plus an expensive undercard, all for the same ticket price. And by the way, throw in a couple more stages while you're at it. The harsh reality is that it's never going to happen.
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2019, 06:32:22 PM »

I heard that there are now over 400 festivals in the UK, excluding little ones, so there is so much choice. Plus people don't need to travel so much as perhaps in the past so they stay local. (We live 4 miles from Wickham festival but chose to go to Cropredy instead, may review this next year).I think a strong name on Thursday would draw more crowds, and that needs to be a younger artist (Waterboys been around too long and not enough hits to stand by). Frank Turner did seem to attract some younger people, as I had not even heard of him, but that aside, the line up had too many unknowns to draw a crowd.

cropredy is a captive audience.
research the bands you've never heard of and find something new to love.

it'll be fine.......
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2019, 06:50:18 PM »

We’re between festivals at Glastonbury . Met a group in the pub last night who’d been to Cropredy. We shared criticisms most of which have been aired on these pages.  “So you going back next year? “ they asked . “Definitely “,  “So are we “.  Enough said

and the stars look very different today
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2019, 08:17:30 PM »

Cropredy would be the thick end of a £500 long weekend for us now, and to justify spending that much money camping we have to be attracted by the lineup and also be reasonably assured of good weather.

The great thing about Cropredy only very rarely selling out is that you can usually wait until you can get an accurate weather forecast before you decide whether or not to go.
Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2019, 12:46:01 AM »

What you have described is what Cropredy does now. I have seen most of those acts at the festival over the years (admittedly not all at the same time.)

If there is any criticism of the line up this year, it is that they went all in on the 'headline' acts, leaving the undercard looking a bit thin. In previous years, they have done what you describe - lots of decent ('mid-cost' ) bands, which has meant compromise on the headliners (cheaper or left field choices.) And they were criticised for that as well.

If I were the organisers, I'd be tearing my hair out. What people seem to want is expensive headliners, plus an expensive undercard, all for the same ticket price. And by the way, throw in a couple more stages while you're at it. The harsh reality is that it's never going to happen.

I don't think it is, the undercard seems too lightweight to me.  

I thought only three of the acts I mentioned had played Croppers before (3DM, Peatbogs, Greg and Ciaran) but perhaps I have forgotten some of the others.

Cropredy is an expensive festival, I know a lot on here say it is about more than the music, and I can agree with that, but presumably the missing thousands don't think so. I was trying to think of some acts that would tempt people back without bosting the bank.

FWIW, which isn't a lot I doubt, Croppers is the only festival I regularly attend which is line-up dependent. All the others I just buy the tickets and then have a look at who is playing, assuming I can get the holibobs from work.

vince42

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2019, 11:47:26 PM »

Perhaps its just because I've been coming a few years now but I ended up chatting with a lot more newcomers this year.  I'm wondering if some of the old "core" audience are just giving it a miss now that the band anniversary has passed.  

Lineup has never been an issue for me - I always enjoy most of the acts - but it will be more important as the potential audience evolves.  I like that it is a "music" festival not a genre festival, but perhaps this may not be the best option financially.

I am quite sure my fantasy festival lineup wouldn't make it past January.  

Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2019, 04:08:40 AM »

Six of my regular group of attendees didn't come this year, they all cited a slightly uninspiring line up.  FWIW I thought the music was generally of a very high standard, but 'on paper' the line up did lack the pulling power to get bums on seats.  I know some folks on here thought the line up was more in keeping with the festival spirit, but if punters are shelling out £100+ on a festival ticket they will look at the entertainment on offer and vote with their feet.  

Agreed. We only finally decided to come about three weeks before, the line up being a little unfamiliar or (in the case of Waterboys, Seth, RT) a little too familiar. I'm glad curiosity got the better of me because I found it a cracking line up on the whole.  

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2019, 09:00:49 AM »

So really we are looking for a one-off WOW factor headliner who isn't on a major tour at the time.... easy! Alice Cooper did that in spades, but a bit of special arm-twisting/mates favours from the Brummie mafia could be called for....
Apart from that the Cropredy vibe means I get to discover new bands (and old ones who've slipped beneath my radar) and I won't miss it for anything, health permitting.
iandiddams

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2019, 09:42:02 AM »

TBH its not so much the headliners as the secondary acts that need to be "entertaining"..

didds
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2019, 09:49:10 AM »

I thought that the music this year was (with one exception) excellent, I would happily pay to see every act (except one) again at a local venue which isn't always the case. OK on paper the headliners were a bit lacklustre but in reality they were excellent and in keeping with the special Cropredy vibe we all love so much.

DW
Johnny Mann

« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2019, 09:55:02 AM »

TBH its not so much the headliners as the secondary acts that need to be "entertaining"..

didds

There have been tribute acts in the past who have been very entertaining, there was a Bob Marley tribute (Legend were they called), and a Santana one a few years back. There may have been one in the past but how about one of the Fleetwood Mac tribute bands? There’s some really good Bowie tributes out there...Perfect for those afternoon/early evening slots. ELO would be brilliant as headliners too. Elvis Costello On before them? ABC or The Human League?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: