TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 19, 2019, 07:59:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lot of room  (Read 3285 times)
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2019, 03:07:52 PM »

I did think that the Fairport Five was over priced at £5:20 - over the fiver seems too much really.

DW

you are lucky to get anything under a fiver...........i've sold cans of Stripe for 6 quid , cocktails for 11 quid and shots of fancy gin for 8.50 - before the Fever Tree.  i think this bar is very reasonable.  my only grumble was the Stowford Press.  nasty fizzy stuff.

it'll be fine.......
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2019, 03:12:12 PM »

Four pint jugs were £18. That's £4.50 a pint.

See What I did in 2018  for a selection of my photos.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2019, 03:15:03 PM »

Four pint jugs were £18. That's £4.50 a pint.

The plastic thing seems to have meant that other fests weren’t doing refillable jugs.....
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2019, 03:19:25 PM »

Surely the point is to oppose single-use plastic items? To ban all plastic would be ludicrous.

abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2019, 03:27:56 PM »

i have worked at one which banned ALL SUP and it really worked.  even water was decanted into cups with a deposit on them.  irritated the life out of the punters but made the whole site a lot cleaner.

hats off the the cropredy scouts and stewards who do a great job of tidying up

it'll be fine.......
spooley (Simon)

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2019, 03:36:31 PM »

Whether down to the current anti-plastic publicity or not, I think there was much less litter left on both the arena and the camping fields (I was on 7b) than has been the norm in previous years.

We took our bag of rubbish to the skip in 7b on our way out, and there were a large number of wrecked tents in there, sadly.

Mind you, the high winds made keeping hold of your drinking cup and empty beer containers quite hard - we had a couple of dashes across the field to reclaim ours. Of course, the obvious solution to that is to go and fill them up again at the bar.

Simon.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2019, 09:17:39 PM »

Presumably they will have built up a bit of a reserve from previous busy years to tide them over in the event of quieter years? So it should only really be a problem if there are several quiet years in a row.

The big question is, if this year's line up is not good enough to tempt people, what would be?
barton cobbler

Loc: Earls Barton ,Northamptonshire

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2019, 11:36:04 PM »

I think one of the problems was a "Big Name" on Thursday and Friday nights. I'm a massive Waterboys fan, but they do tour quite a bit so most of their fans get the chance to see them reasonably local to where they live. Alice Cooper and Brian Wilson don't fall into this category, you don't get too many chances of seeing acts like them. Also acts like Divine Comedy and Frank Turner are not going to pull in punters when you can see them elsewhere for a fraction of the price of a Cropredy ticket.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2019, 12:03:23 AM »

Catching an act already on tour would be much cheaper than a one-off appearance.

One recent festival (not Crops) paid £80,000 for a household name and his band, but the performance was disastrously bad. Most of the punters had no clue who he was anyhow in the musical sense. Amusingly enough, neither did he.

Of the bands I'd like to see on top of the Thursday bill, I think Queen would be great, as would ELO (much more likely as a Brummie is at the helm). Both would draw massive crowds and £££. But the logistics would be horrendous, perhaps forcing Thursday-only tickets to be available for the first time. An acquaintance's wife said she'd like to see Take That! Hopefully not...

StephenB
something about the grinding beat

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

Some boy to be one boy - I should have been twins

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2019, 12:25:55 AM »

(Take) That would be the beginning of the end...

If I could be any animal I wanted...
there'd be something really heavy going on.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!

Loc: Isle of Skye

...rivers always reach the sea.

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2019, 09:33:26 AM »

We found out Richard Thompson was at Belladrum and The Waterboys are at Skye Live. We nearly sold our tickets and went there instead, as it is nearer and they were ( at the time) the main draw.

Having actually stuck with Cropredy, we realised it is so much more to us than just the acts. It was well worth the pilgrimage. Seeing familiar faces, sampling delicious food, the walk to the village, J buying me my traditional Arteangel Shiny, seeing TAW people and friends from Lancs.... not to mention discovering wonderful new acts, like Tidelines.

It could be tricky next year (& following years) due to the dates coinciding with a very busy time at work. However,  if it means doing a 12 hour drive on the Sunday and returning to work on the Monday we would try to make an effort to come down. Provided the nature of the festival does not change.

Meminesse sed providere
StephenB
something about the grinding beat

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

Some boy to be one boy - I should have been twins

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2019, 10:02:24 AM »

As someone who makes a similarly slog of a  journey I agree with all of that- pilgrimage is a word I often use to describe it

If I could be any animal I wanted...
there'd be something really heavy going on.
JennyB
chums at Bloodstock

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2019, 11:21:44 AM »

The big question is, if this year's line up is not good enough to tempt people, what would be?

It's tricky, isn't it? As a Cropredy virgin this year, the line-up *was* enough to tempt me. I've always wanted to come, but in previous years I've lived too far away, I didn't know any of the bands, there were other festivals that appealed more, something else was on the same weekend, always an excuse... But this year when I picked up the flyer at a FC gig, the line-up meant that I just had to go (maybe I'm alone in this!). Cropredy as a festival surpassed all my expectations. I loved how easy it was, how relaxed it felt, and the real community atmosphere that I just haven't experienced at any other festival. It really did feel special, and worth being there for more than just the acts. I can't wait to get my ticket for next year.

Of course, these are the words of someone who has only been once, so I can't say how it stacks up to previous years, or how things have changed and developed or not. I'd be quite happy with more of the same, but in ten Cropredy's time, I'd probably have a different view!
iandiddams

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2019, 11:31:21 AM »

This year's line up looked really good.  But for whatever reason I just never engaged with it when push came to shove - to the extent my wife asked me on the way home if I was going to come next year because I was so obviously disengaged. Part of me loves cropredy for what it _is_...  outside of the music I mean.  FC are always great...  and as I enquired last year and "failed" to find a solution if there was a way to camp for three nights but only have to buy a Saturday ticket that would probably "do" me (notwithstanding who is on the set list next year of course!  :-)...  but of course once cannot get onto the camping fields without a wristband and friends we meet there  would be going all 3 days and we'd want to be together.

We could look at brodge meadow but its gets complkicated as some friends dont know until "late" whether they can get the elave etc so cant book until later by which time BM may we;ll be filled - and we still get conflicting stories about availability of toilets !  LOL.

abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2019, 11:43:51 AM »

Catching an act already on tour would be much cheaper than a one-off appearance.

One recent festival (not Crops) paid £80,000 for a household name and his band, but the performance was disastrously bad. Most of the punters had no clue who he was anyhow in the musical sense. Amusingly enough, neither did he.

Of the bands I'd like to see on top of the Thursday bill, I think Queen would be great, as would ELO (much more likely as a Brummie is at the helm). Both would draw massive crowds and £££. But the logistics would be horrendous, perhaps forcing Thursday-only tickets to be available for the first time. An acquaintance's wife said she'd like to see Take That! Hopefully not...

Queen or ELO would be amazing, as would REO Speedwagon but are they affordable?  one would think yes, as they had Status Quo....?

it'll be fine.......
JennyB
chums at Bloodstock

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2019, 11:48:05 AM »

Queen or ELO would be amazing, as would REO Speedwagon but are they affordable?  one would think yes, as they had Status Quo....?

You pay your money, you take your choice Wink
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2019, 11:53:10 AM »

I have just been posting about similar on the other thread, I must have got my threads mixed up Grin

Meminesse sed providere
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2019, 11:54:21 AM »

I have just been posting about similar on the other thread, I must have got my threads mixed up Grin

crossover!!!

it'll be fine.......
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2019, 11:55:16 AM »

Sorted, tee hee....

As for Andy’s suggestion about Queen, I saw them without Freddie and it just isn’t the same of course...and maybe they are still too big for Cropredy?

I have said before,having been a bit disappointed when they appeared, I would have loved to see Status Quo doing their acoustic set ( as on BBC a year or two later) at Cropredy. But would they do this now Rick has gone and, if so, would it be the same? Of course not.

Meminesse sed providere
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2019, 12:02:39 PM »

As for Andy’s suggestion about Queen, I saw them without Freddie and it just isn’t the same of course...and maybe they are still too big for Cropredy?

Queen are currently playing enormodomes across America. Given the success of the recent film, I suspect if they were to play Festivals in UK they would be at Glastonbury* and/or Hyde Park. Too big for Cropredy I'm afraid.

Cheers

Nick

*Badger culls and cattle dependent...

...putting the finishing touchés on some witty ripostes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: