TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 19, 2019, 07:58:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lot of room  (Read 3284 times)
mightyglydd

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2019, 11:33:08 PM »

If like over here weather forecasters were hyping Armageddon, maybe a lot of ticket holders decided to stay home?
@ Heatwave!! and Storm Watch!! = ratings
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2019, 07:50:40 AM »

Jís sister was sure it was even quieter last year.

It felt emptier this year to me, but would be interesting to know the ticket sales to compare the two years.

I hope they can sort it out, I won't mind queueing for the toilets if the festivals future is ensured.  Smiley

hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2019, 08:58:43 AM »

As someone who wasnít there....some thoughts...
1. People are watching their finances...albeit Brexit fears or whatever.
2. People put off by forecast .....no cover at Cropredy....I had a very lovely time at Cambridge in the very big marquees.......
3. There was a time people went to Cropredy for Fairport and sets from extended Fairport family. This demographic is aging and in cases of close friends, dying! So the festival changes and morphs and becomes.,íjust another festivalí.
4. There are a number of small fests with upcoming bands, I have Ďdiscoveredí some cracking bands this year at smaller fests, Exile, Folk in a Field etc. So people are making choices.
5.some people do look at lineups and choose their fest
Wardi

Loc: N.Yorkshire

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2019, 09:05:24 AM »

Six of my regular group of attendees didn't come this year, they all cited a slightly uninspiring line up. †FWIW I thought the music was generally of a very high standard, but 'on paper' the line up did lack the pulling power to get bums on seats. †I know some folks on here thought the line up was more in keeping with the festival spirit, but if punters are shelling out £100+ on a festival ticket they will look at the entertainment on offer and vote with their feet. †
barryanorak (Julian)

Loc: Thurgoland - no, really

The sun is a lightbulb, my fridge is a cow

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2019, 09:41:29 AM »

We noticed the reduction in numbers too - I also wonder, and I didn't get a tape measure out to check, if the bar side of the field was brought in slightly - it didn't seem to be as long a walk to the bar from the right...although that may have just been the ease of movement because of the reduced numbers.

Apart from a couple of 'misfires' I thought the line-up was one of the best in recent years. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

You have to be happy with what you have to be happy with
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!

Loc: Isle of Skye

...rivers always reach the sea.

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2019, 09:53:58 AM »

Apart from a couple of 'misfires' I thought the line-up was one of the best in recent years. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I agree, but didnít know that until we actually heard them. If the line up had been the key factor we may not have gone, financially it is a big outlay but was our main holiday this year.

However, for us it is as much the unique atmosphere plus meeting family and friends from Lancs who we only normally see there.

Meminesse sed providere
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2019, 10:00:27 AM »

I agree, but didnít know that until we actually heard them. If the line up had been the key factor we may not have gone, financially it is a big outlay but was our main holiday this year.

However, for us it is as much the unique atmosphere plus meeting family and friends from Lancs who we only normally see there.

I may be going off piste but some of my ( extended) family met up at Folk in a Field this year. £50 for a 3 day ticket plus free camping!  ( camping in Norfolk for 3 days would have cost more than that!!!!!)
and we have decided to meet up next year at a small fest....so you can do the get together thing without the costs of huge fest.
Cambridge cost me a lot of money this Yr , including £45 to park the van......
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2019, 10:24:28 AM »

I think the spaces at the bar had a lot to do with the quality and price of the beer.

Mostly golds or pressurized and at £5 per pint.

Much better cheaper at the Edge or The Pavilion.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2019, 10:27:21 AM »

I also thought the arena field had increased space this year. Not sure if it was less people or thinner walkways which was definitely the case as I wS regularly bumped into crossing the field as there was less space to get past

Born to Run (but not very fast)
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2019, 10:30:08 AM »

I think the spaces at the bar had a lot to do with the quality and price of the beer.

F8 bar prices were astonishing..... all pints 3.50, wines and prosecco 3.50 !!!!

it'll be fine.......
iandiddams

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2019, 10:40:07 AM »

Seemed very quiet to me and the rumours of amount of tickets sold is quite worrying. Cropredy is an expensive festival compared to it's contemplates when you look at the amount of acts you get to see. People maybe looking at other options with more stages.
There are now 5 stages!!! With a fair old mix of music too...

(I removed Ďofficialí from this post as I appreciate only 1 is Fairportís Cropredy Convention)

I noticed as I ran out through Great Boughton on Saturday morning to Banbury, the Bell there was advertising acts on the Thu, Fri and Sat night, under the title of "Fairport Convention"  (or similar).  :-)  So maybe that is 6 stages ;-)

didds
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2019, 10:44:46 AM »

McBastards even seemed a bit thin on the ground this year.

it'll be fine.......
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2019, 10:46:44 AM »

Just to be clear, in Peggy's interview he confirmed that ticket sales were down but he did not say they hadn't sold enough and all the variations on "See you next year" that came from the stage would appear to confirm that the festival is not in any immediate danger.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2019, 11:04:10 AM »

Just to be clear, in Peggy's interview he confirmed that ticket sales were down but he did not say they hadn't sold enough and all the variations on "See you next year" that came from the stage would appear to confirm that the festival is not in any immediate danger.

As they have already advertised next years dates then I would think itís safe to assume that Cropredy 2020 is safe....I hope so as Iíve already booked accommodation for next year (too old and knackered to do the camping thing  Grin )

Martin F

Loc: Bicester

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2019, 11:35:00 AM »

As they have already advertised next years dates then I would think itís safe to assume that Cropredy 2020 is safe....I hope so as Iíve already booked accommodation for next year (too old and knackered to do the camping thing† Grin )

Plenty of festivals have fallen with just 3-4 months to go.

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2019, 12:19:59 PM »

As they have already advertised next years dates then I would think itís safe to assume that Cropredy 2020 is safe....I hope so as Iíve already booked accommodation for next year (too old and knackered to do the camping thing† Grin )

Plenty of festivals have fallen with just 3-4 months to go.

Oh I know hence my free cancellation clause for my accommodation up to 4 weeks beforehand. Hope Iím safe after that!

iandiddams

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2019, 02:35:37 PM »

with the added benefit those dont serve wadworth!

didds (from devizes!)
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2019, 02:45:05 PM »

it was the most expensive on site of course but also 2 quid cheaper than any other festival bar.  and they had Pinkster!

it'll be fine.......
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2019, 02:54:36 PM »

I did think that the Fairport Five was over priced at £5:20 - over the fiver seems too much really.

DW
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2019, 03:05:30 PM »

I did think that the Fairport Five was over priced at £5:20 - over the fiver seems too much really.

DW

Cambridge and several other fests you paid a £2 deposit on your Ďglassí.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: