TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 19, 2019, 07:56:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lot of room  (Read 3281 times)
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« on: August 11, 2019, 07:14:40 PM »

Seemed a lot of room in the field this year, even near the bar. I mean the times when the weather was nice like on thursday, not just when the rain had driven peeps away. Were ticket sales poor? Campsites seemed roomy as well.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 07:25:42 PM »

In his interview on Radio Oxford Peggy alluded to ticket sales being significantly down this year. He blamed it on people's personal financial insecurity over B****t.

The weather will also have discouraged anyone who was thinking of buying on the gate.
Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 07:32:30 PM »

Hmmm, B****t seems like a straw to be clutched at. Presumably all festivals will have suffered then? And football. And cricket. And Wimbledon, and pubs, and holidays............ Not sure I can see it.

The weather makes sense though. It will have discouraged day-trippers and those who were leaving it late to decide.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 07:42:09 PM »

Hmmm, B****t seems like a straw to be clutched at. Presumably all festivals will have suffered then? And football. And cricket. And Wimbledon, and pubs, and holidays............ Not sure I can see it.

The weather makes sense though. It will have discouraged day-trippers and those who were leaving it late to decide.

Well, setting aside B****t specifically, I suspect he is right that there is a lot of financial insecurity at the moment and some households are having to make choices about what they feel they can afford to spend where that used to be less of an issue.

Events like Wimbledon & the Ashes ar pretty much imperishable because they sell to a well heeled clientele anyway but I suspect most of the other things you list have indeed seen sales slowing and finances diminished recently.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 07:50:51 PM »

Well, setting aside B****t specifically, I suspect he is right that there is a lot of financial insecurity at the moment and some households are having to make choices about what they feel they can afford to spend where that used to be less of an issue.

Events like Wimbledon & the Ashes ar pretty much imperishable because they sell to a well heeled clientele anyway but I suspect most of the other things you list have indeed seen sales slowing and finances diminished recently.

I have been lucky enough to go to and in some cases, play at a bunch of festivals this year. The smaller, boutique festivals seem to be thriving ( 500 to 3000 attendees) where the big festivals are becoming less of a draw. Big names cost. Cambridge this year did not have the line up pulling power of previous years imho whereas at smaller fests I saw a bunch of upcoming younger artists who are a joy to ‘discover’
Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 07:58:47 PM »

I'm sure you are right about that, but you would always be right. Someone is always struggling, and someone different is doing well, all the time.

Corporates aside, I'm not sure the attendees at Wimbledon or the Ashes are very different to those who attend Cropredy, economically or socially.

I think it is more about the line-up, but I could be wrong.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 08:12:19 PM »

It did seem a lot quieter. I hope it still turns a profit, as it is a pretty unique festival (my sister, first time attendee, couldn’t believe the laid back attitude to bringing your own stuff into the arena, for example).
Scarecrow Tim
n3wb

Loc: Sunny Abingdon

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 08:50:29 PM »

Could be a combination of several factors?

- More festivals = more competition. Following disappointment with last year's offerings, several of our normal group passed on Cropredy this year to go to Beautiful Days next weekend.
- Weather for late buyers of course
- Tailing-off of 'Festivals are Fashionable syndrome'. Distinct lack of groups of younger punters in latest must-have wellies & flowers in their hair.
- No massive Thursday night draw for the average festival goer (now I love the Waterboys but you mention them to any non folkie and they say 'who?')
- Sorry to say it but many avid FC fans are possibly passing-on or getting too old to do music in a field.

Sincerely hope any drop in numbers won't affect the future of the event however.
richardkendell

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 09:13:28 PM »

There was this year an almost total absence of the late teens who seemed to view Cropredy as a coming out event/end of school celebration. I wonder if folk music (yes I know its not a folk festival etc...) is less flavour of the month than it was.
Simon Withers

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 09:36:12 PM »

It is possible that all these are contributry factors, I’d add the whole austerity thing has and continues to cripple many people financialy…it is not always a choice of where one spends ones money…sometimes there is no choice…it all goes on taxes and utility bills. I’d have loved to have gone to this years festival but I simply do not have the money. I am sure bam not unique in writing this…festivals (and entertainment) can be a luxury.  
iandiddams

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 09:46:28 PM »

well...  Ive been involved in two local events in our town in the past month .  Both a musical theatre production and the annual CAMRA beer festival had poor/weak ticket sales compared to immediate previous years.  This was the first time the beer fest has not sold out over a week in advance for well over a decade.

So something is slowing up people's ticket buying etc

didds
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 09:50:54 PM »

It was pretty crowded on Saturday, but not the sellout attendance of 2017.

See What I did in 2018  for a selection of my photos.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 09:53:23 PM »

I rather enjoyed the extra space although I did get annoyed with the people who put down massive groundsheets  Angry (Yes, I know there are various valid reasons for doing this).

I think the line-up had a lot to do with it - it wasn’t strong and there wasn’t a “name” to get people in. Maybe this was deliberate. I know most if the events I’ve been to this year have been sold out or close to it, but it is likely people are holding back on expensive purchases.

As long as it’s on next year...

Confusion will be my epitaph
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 11:05:03 PM »

Seemed very quiet to me and the rumours of amount of tickets sold is quite worrying. Cropredy is an expensive festival compared to it's contemporaries when you look at the amount of acts you get to see. People maybe looking at other options with more stages.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 11:19:41 PM by Addie » Logged

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 11:06:11 PM »

Seemed very quiet to me and the rumours of amount of tickets sold is quite worrying. Cropredy is an expensive festival compared to it's contemplates when you look at the amount of acts you get to see. People maybe looking at other options with more stages.
There are now 5 stages!!! With a fair old mix of music too...

(I removed ‘official’ from this post as I appreciate only 1 is Fairport’s Cropredy Convention)

Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 11:08:25 PM »

5? Apart from field 8 (as far as I know) you don't have to have a ticket to go into the rest so you can't equate them into the ticket price.

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 11:09:53 PM »

5? Apart from field 8 (as far as I know) you don't have to have a ticket to go into the rest so you can't equate them into the ticket price.
Yes, I changed my post. What I meant was you can go and see other bands if you want to

abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 11:13:27 PM »

it's horses for courses as we all know and this year i thought the line up was a strong one for my personal tastes and i was 90% not disappointed.
.  i've been at many much bigger and more expensive this year with shocking line ups.  i should add i have only been to 2 as a ticket buyer and that is bearded and crop.
the festival market is saturated.
it is upsetting to hear the rumours - 11k is what i heard  Undecided

it'll be fine.......
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2019, 11:18:12 PM »

it's horses for courses as we all know and this year i thought the line up was a strong one for my personal tastes and i was 90% not disappointed.
.  i've been at many much bigger and more expensive this year with shocking line ups.  i should add i have only been to 2 as a ticket buyer and that is bearded and crop.
the festival market is saturated.
it is upsetting to hear the rumours - 11k is what i heard  Undecided
I heard 12k
I think you’re right Abby - the festival market is saturated.

Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!

Loc: Isle of Skye

...rivers always reach the sea.

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2019, 11:19:34 PM »

Having missed last year, we definitely noticed the drop on the previous few years.

J’s sister was sure it was even quieter last year.

Personally, enjoyed there being more space ( still saw some silly people plonk themselves down right in the walkway by Coffee and Cake to eat their lunch, oblivious that it was a thoroughfare and some other daft behaviours) but it is worrying for the future of Cropredy. Would hate it to end, would hate if it changed in nature or venue.

Meminesse sed providere
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: