TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 14, 2019, 11:37:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seth Lakeman  (Read 1423 times)
Sue & Chris

« on: August 11, 2019, 05:52:38 PM »

Superb performance.  Iíve not been a particular fan in the past, but by the end I was fully converted.  He really pulled out all the stops.  Great playing, singing and stage presence, a tight band and a well-paced set.  I loved the power and emotion he brought to the music.  It felt like watching a mature performer, in total command of what heís doing.  One of my top five of the weekend, easily.        
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 06:38:05 PM »

I've seen him a lot of times and thought he was great on Friday. Top performance from him and an excellent band alongside him.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 06:44:20 PM »

Yep - an act at the top of their game.

7.5/10

DW
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 11:31:48 PM »

I thought he was brilliant. Touring with Mr Plant obviously suits him and heís matured since I last saw him live. And a superb band. Thoroughly enjoyed it  Cheesy

Have just noticed I missed him at The Minack again  Sad  signed up to his mailings now!

Confusion will be my epitaph
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 11:37:30 PM »

Good set, not all of his songs sound the same now.

See What I did in 2018  for a selection of my photos.
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 11:42:01 PM »

i am a big seth fan but i've seen him a lot and chose to go to see someone else whilst he was on, i'm glad to hear he didn't disappoint.

it'll be fine.......
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 11:41:16 AM »

I know Iím very much in the minority here but Iíve.never really got Seth Lakeman. His songs all sound a bit same to me and this performance didnít really change my view. Got bored and wandered off to the food stalls....sorry!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Danny_C

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 01:45:03 PM »

I know Iím very much in the minority here but Iíve.never really got Seth Lakeman. His songs all sound a bit same to me and this performance didnít really change my view. Got bored and wandered off to the food stalls....sorry!

Well we are in a minority of two then - I agree wholeheartedly with your comments and did much the same had a look at the merch stalls and got supper.

Each to his/her own and all but I really can't see why he is rated - I find his voice in particular very grating and the song writing is nothing special.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 03:35:05 PM »

My wife says he 'bleats', but I enjoy him.  I heard him solo at the beginning of the year, so was looking forward to seeing him with a band too this time and he didn't disappoint.  Definitely a hit for me.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 03:38:52 PM »

Well we are in a minority of two then - I agree wholeheartedly with your comments and did much the same had a look at the merch stalls and got supper.

Each to his/her own and all but I really can't see why he is rated - I find his voice in particular very grating and the song writing is nothing special.

Here is no. 3. Totally dull and droned on. Seen him at a few festivals and never really changes,  emperors new clothes syndrome for me I am afraid.

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 03:29:25 AM »

Love Seth! The first time I became aware of him was at Cropredy in (I think) 2004, then again a couple of years later. Never disappoints and I'm glad he included Kitty Jay and Solomon Brown,  two of my favourites. One of my reasons for coming to Cropredy this year.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
PhilipK

Loc: Hampshire, UK

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 03:49:59 PM »

I also found him quite boring and uninspirational, I'm afraid. Educated Man was a minor high point, but only relative to the stuff that surrounded it.

* sl1.jpg (154.41 KB, 1000x1424 - viewed 244 times.)

* sl2.jpg (117.2 KB, 1000x780 - viewed 238 times.)

--
Philip
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Local Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 05:18:31 PM »

Not a Seth fan I am afraid, but it wasn't a bad set. There seemed to be slightly more variety than the one where he shouts and hits the fiddle, and the one where he shouts and hits the tenor guitar. I do worry that he is straining his vocal cords. He doesn't seem to support his voice correctly.

Paul

Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!

Loc: Isle of Skye

...rivers always reach the sea.

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 06:15:07 PM »

A friend of mine,who often puts musical people up during festivals in Wales, told me about Seth years ago, she had met him somewhere and seen him perform. She told me he was one to watch and would go far.

Unfortunately, though I can see that he has lots of musical talent, I have never quite taken to the music. His Cropredy performances have been pleasant enough but not really floated my boat. I think I need to listen to some albums so that I can better distinguish between the pieces.

Meminesse sed providere
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: