TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 11, 2019, 06:18:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Convention  (Read 7776 times)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2019, 02:11:31 PM »

It certainly was moving... dust in the eye moving...  please let it be seeable soon somehow.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2019, 02:16:24 PM »

Yet again I wish PJ join the band full time.

DW
He's busy.

Yes, I suspect TradARRR gives him a freer hand creatively than being in Fairport would and allows him to make more adventurous music than the modern day Fairport.

oooh!

That wasn't meant to be a knock on Fairport but they have an established style that they are comfortable with. They may not want to accommodate the change of direction a full time lead guitarist would involve and PJ already has an outlet for his talents in TradARRR who are at the electric rock end of the folk/rock spectrum whereas modern day Fairport tend toward the mid paced acoustic style, at least in the studio.

you saw me coming there, Al, but i think you are right on both counts.

it'll be fine.......
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2019, 06:42:06 PM »

Iím probably on my own on this but I never want to hear anyone other than Simon sing WKWTTG. Sally Barker nailed John the Gun but I prefer that she plays as well. annA rydeR is fab loved her dress too. I thought it was a great set.

and the stars look very different today
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2019, 08:17:13 PM »

Iím probably on my own on this but I never want to hear anyone other than Simon sing WKWTTG. Sally Barker nailed John the Gun but I prefer that she plays as well. annA rydeR is fab loved her dress too. I thought it was a great set.

I know what you mean but RT did an amazingly good solo version at Sidmouth, the vocal was really excellent, full of emotion and sensitivity. I didn't thik RT could carry this song but he absolutely nailed it.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2019, 05:19:21 PM »

Sandyís recorded version with FC is obviously the iconic version for me but have a listen to Vikki Claytons version......not a Sandy copy , she makes it her own....
Viv G

« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2019, 07:34:12 PM »

After watching FC last night itís apparent simons voice is starting to go.
His annual murdering of who knows where the time goes is now becoming farcical,it was written for a female singer and yet he stubbornly carries on ruining a fantastic song every year.
Itís clear his vocal range is now becoming limited and lacks the power it once did.
Some songs he just about managed (red and gold) but most were pale imitations.
Iím not suggesting he completely stops singing and he is still musically brilliant but there comes a time when you need a quiet word....
Simon is struggling,Peggy is no singer and Chris although fine wasnít in as good a voice as previous years.
I hope something changes and next year sees fresh impetus.

A quiet word is not really done via a public board like this that may well be read by band members. Perhaps this wasn't a good place to post this?
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2019, 07:54:23 PM »

His annual murdering of who knows where the time goes is now becoming farcical,it was written for a female singer and yet he stubbornly carries on ruining a fantastic song every year.
Itís clear his vocal range is now becoming limited and lacks the power it once did.
Iím not suggesting he completely stops singing and he is still musically brilliant but there comes a time when you need a quiet word....
Simon is struggling,Peggy is no singer and Chris although fine wasnít in as good a voice as previous years.

A quiet word is not really done via a public board like this that may well be read by band members. Perhaps this wasn't a good place to post this?

Agreed. And by the way it wasn't written for a female singer. A female singer wrote and sang it first. Everything after that I go back to Swarb's classic line- "you can do anything you want to music, it doesn't mind'. Songs can be greater than the singer singing them I get personal preferences. Sandy's version with Fairport is still iconic as Dave suggests, but along with Vikki Clayton's version it has been performed at Cropredy by Julianne Regan, Chris While and not to forget Iain Matthews singing it in 1986.I love all the versions, and I love the rearrangement that Simon now sings. Simon represents the original lineup and represents the only man on stage typically who performed on Fairport's version. The connection is deep and we have all witnessed him choke up a bit, we have all witnessed the rest of the band stepping back and treating the song with respect. So to call any representation of something Simon does as 'murdering' and 'farcical' is an insult on the man himself. He being along with Peggy and Ric (34 years in the band himself now) the sole reason you are sitting in an Oxfordshire field listening to Fairport Convention at all. Slight quibbles with his voice are one thing, thinking you know better than the gents on stage is another.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Wandering Steve

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2019, 09:55:54 PM »

Agreed. And by the way it wasn't written for a female singer. A female singer wrote and sang it first. Everything after that I go back to Swarb's classic line- "you can do anything you want to music, it doesn't mind'. Songs can be greater than the singer singing them I get personal preferences. Sandy's version with Fairport is still iconic as Dave suggests, but along with Vikki Clayton's version it has been performed at Cropredy by Julianne Regan, Chris While and not to forget Iain Matthews singing it in 1986.I love all the versions, and I love the rearrangement that Simon now sings. Simon represents the original lineup and represents the only man on stage typically who performed on Fairport's version. The connection is deep and we have all witnessed him choke up a bit, we have all witnessed the rest of the band stepping back and treating the song with respect. So to call any representation of something Simon does as 'murdering' and 'farcical' is an insult on the man himself. He being along with Peggy and Ric (34 years in the band himself now) the sole reason you are sitting in an Oxfordshire field listening to Fairport Convention at all. Slight quibbles with his voice are one thing, thinking you know better than the gents on stage is another.

I AM allowed to express a different opinion to you and am entitled to it.
I thought it sounded poor and I think the song sounds much better when sung by a competent female vocalist.
He is a musician not the bloody pope.
If I think the song sounded poor to me then Iím entitled to mention it.

You enjoyed it
Iím happy for you.

Wandering Steve

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2019, 11:04:22 PM »

Just to quantify things regards the fairport set
1) I thought the first couple of songs simons voice was poor(this surprised me)
2) Chris Leslie was fine but again Iíve heard him on better form
3) WKWTTG is one of my favourite songs and I donít think that Simon has done it justice for the last two years.
If Simon or any other poster has taken offence by my usage of the word murdering as in the song I apologise but it is a term used in music when in someoneís opinion the song is sung poorly,badly or not up to a usual high standard.
Perhaps a milder awful or poor may have been a better turn of phrase.
I think it is a much better sounding song when sung by a female vocalist.
4) I thought Peggyís rendition of polly sounded poor to my ears
5) I thought Simons voice picked up for red and gold.
6) I thought Simon sounded...well like Simon on Matty groves and MOTL and was very good and up to his usual high standards
7) I thought all band members were excellent musically throughout as is the norm.
Cool I still think an extra singer would not go amiss but thatís personal preference backed up so to speak after hearing a Richard Thompson led fairport style band which I thought was both vocally and musically brilliant from all on the stage.

All in all Iím sorry for any offence and I always enjoy listening to FC (the other eight in our party are not in the slightest bit interested and listened to the ska electrics on field 8 who they much preferred)

Maybe as time goes by itís folly to expect any band to sound as good as they once did(Bob Dylan being one example last years beach boys another and fairport are nowhere near that stage but I still think that in a nutshell maybe more thought could be put into who sings each song as to showcase it to its best ability and show the song in its best light.

Apologies again and I hope this post is more balanced even if many disagree which again is everyoneís prerogative
God willing il still be in the field on a Saturday night in August 2020 and Iím sure theyíll be bits of the festival I enjoy and some less so.
I still wouldnít miss it for the world and for any FC musical disagreements I cannot and do nut fail to grasp that without FC there would be no festival.

I also understand peopleís wishes to listen to the bits they enjoy and leave when itís not for them.
This is the same for any of the acts on over the festival

Iíve only been attending twelve years and this was actually one of my favourites despite the weather...,
Mind you I was in a caravan and not a tent!!

Until next year
God willing.
Pippy
ANONYMOUS MEMBER

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2019, 09:52:07 AM »

Just goes to show doesnít it!
I thought this was the best set FC have staged at Cropredy for many year, itís about time they bought back the classics of R&G, WT, and for me Claudy Banks, coupled with John the Gun and many others I love it will be a well remembered set list.

They even didnít do a popular one I always make time for a loo break. All in all, a fantastic Cropredy experience, Enjoy while it lasts!
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2019, 02:24:14 PM »

Sometimes/often how a set or a singer is perceived is down to our own state of mind at the time. Iíve stood/sat beside friends who though x played a blinding set whereas it left me cold and vice versa, so Iím reluctant to post Ďdefinitiveí statements as itís often a subjective thing.
I think the internet has made it Ďusualí to post some blistering comments with, sometimes, some pretty extreme language. I deplore that. I wonder if any of us would be prepared to say what weíve posted directly to the performer mentioned.

Iíll stick to whether the song or set moves me. Iím not looking for perfection, I just want to be drawn into the song. Fairport - and other acts - did this for me. Thanks chaps.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Swamp Donkey (Keith)

Loc: Bedfordshire

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2019, 06:49:55 PM »

Well said Diane.

Well it's turned out nice again!
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Local Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2019, 10:12:38 PM »

I thought Fairport's set was top notch this year. The tribute to Maart was very moving, and I loved hearing the songs he had been involved with played by the extended band. John the Gun is one of my favourite Sandy songs, so I was glad we got that.

I think the whale video was provided by the charity, and nothing to do with nevbull.

I think Simon's voice was lacking power in the top notes, but this could have been down to a multitude of things, singers do get colds, and the weather certainly could not have helped. I had a musical director many years ago who insisted we all wore scarves when out. I am sure it is only temporary, normally his voice is strong, with a good range.

Paul

NevBull

I see Lego people......

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2019, 07:36:06 PM »

You think wrong - I was asked to provide some imagery to play for the closing instrumental.

After discussing with the band - I cut the short Sea Shepherd VT together from footage from their site.
JennyB
chums at Bloodstock

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2019, 11:14:17 AM »

You think wrong - I was asked to provide some imagery to play for the closing instrumental.

After discussing with the band - I cut the short Sea Shepherd VT together from footage from their site.

NevBull, I thought it was really interesting, and it prompted me to go and find out more about Sea Shepherd and their wonderful work, which I wasn't previously aware of. I've just bought a Sea Shepherd KeepCup, which is only a very small gesture I know, but definitely enabled by your vid. Thank you!
Danny_C

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2019, 02:28:49 PM »

Having thought long and hard about posting at all in this section I am going to have to sit with the minority here.

To my ears this was a middling performance and as much as it pains me to say so I thought Simonís voice was as poor as I have ever heard it, Peggyís was not much better either.  I come to Cropredy primarily to see Fairport with the rest of the acts being a varied but at time huge bonus so this was something of a let-down for me.  I do think it might be time to start to consider and additional singer

The set list was OK and there was some real highlights but again it was nothing special.  

Maybe the last few years have spoilt me.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2019, 02:45:44 PM »

I loved the set, and huge thanks to every member of my Fave band.

There were extreme weather circumstances this year which almost caused the festival to be cancelled, so if anyoneís voice was a bit off maybe they should be given a bit of slack?

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2019, 09:05:41 PM »

Sat in the garden having a Fairport Friday. Red Wine, cheese and randomly selecting tracks, currently Crazy Man Michael.  Anyone else do Fairport Fridays?

and the stars look very different today
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!

Loc: Isle of Skye

...rivers always reach the sea.

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2019, 11:07:41 PM »

Sat in the garden having a Fairport Friday. Red Wine, cheese and randomly selecting tracks, currently Crazy Man Michael. †Anyone else do Fairport Fridays?

Great idea!

Meminesse sed providere
PeterJ

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2019, 09:42:07 AM »

much as it pains me to say so I thought Simonís voice was as poor as I have ever heard it,

Maybe the last few years have spoilt me.

Spoilt your ears more like....I thought Simon's voice was better than I've heard it for a long time. Weird.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: