TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 13, 2019, 02:24:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daphne's Flight  (Read 1836 times)
Sue & Chris

« on: August 11, 2019, 02:43:53 PM »

In a year where I felt the undercard was not particularly strong, these guys stood out.  They were great - as might have been expected given the line up.  Wonderful singing of some great songs, and a really warm, joyous stage presence.  I particularly enjoyed listening to Melanie Harrold and Helen Watson, who were new to me.  The other three were superb, as expected - Christine Collister the absolute stand out - I don't think I've ever heard her sing that well.  
richardkendell

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 02:48:47 PM »

Excellent.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 04:39:19 PM »

I saw them at Nettlebed in the autumn and loved them.  Not quite so keen this time - seemed a bit shouty in places - but others obviously loved them, and they outshone many in their enthusiasm and general joie de vivre

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 04:57:46 PM »

Act of the weekend for me - pure class.

DW
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!

Loc: Isle of Skye

...rivers always reach the sea.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 10:57:15 PM »

My favourite act ( aside from my hero the maestro RT).

We had seen Julie Matthews  and Chris While, as well as Christine Collister, several times but not the group and not the other two. Just loved them.

Meminesse sed providere
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 11:05:09 PM »

Delighted to see and hear older ladies on the stage  Kiss

They were great. Beautiful harmonies and well-crafted songs. A proper Cropredy act, I thought.  Smiley

Confusion will be my epitaph
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 12:03:53 AM »

Good strong voices and great songs. 10/10

See What I did in 2018  for a selection of my photos.
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 10:23:38 AM »

the kids were very impressed at a lady rapping in a twin set and pearls....... Tiara

(ok no twin set i know but that's what they said)

it'll be fine.......
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 10:39:58 AM »

So glad to see Daphne's Flight getting the love. I did wonder if their show would carry in the big field, especially in that weather.

Theirs is quite a story. One album more than 20 years ago. Reconvened 20 years later for another very fine album and have been touring ever since with a live album also released and a further studio recording on the way.

A thoroughly deserved success story. And if anyone wants to check out their solo work I recommend Christine's Live album and Helen's Blue Slipper in particular. I am sure you are all well aware of While & Matthews earlier work already.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 11:12:09 AM »

Having never seen or heard either band before but, going on reviews etc, I expected to like Wildwood Kin more than Daphne’s Flight. However it was very much the opposite! Loved Daphne’s Flight so much so I bought the live CD

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 02:23:34 AM »

I really enjoyed these five joyously talented women.  I hope to get the chance to see them at a more intimate venue in the not too distant future.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
spooley (Simon)

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 12:30:13 PM »

I particularly enjoyed Christine Collister's soul/gospel numbers: "Stay" and "Guilty" are how I remember them, anyone know the proper titles?
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 12:55:19 PM »

I particularly enjoyed Christine Collister's soul/gospel numbers: "Stay" and "Guilty" are how I remember them, anyone know the proper titles?

Guilty is certainly one of them - it's a Randy Newman song she sings a lot

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
spooley (Simon)

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 01:24:34 PM »

There's a terrifically exuberant performance of "Gone" at the Radio Oxford tent on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p94KqYCtoY
I'm closely monitoring other places to see if any audience recordings of the full set on stage appear.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 01:39:20 PM »

And this is what the Daphnes thought:

"CROPREDY FESTIVAL 2019. One of the best times on one of the finest stages.

We had an amazing gig, the stars lined up and it was an utter joy from start to finish.

Cropredy really is one the best festivals in the world for artists, great hospitality, dressing rooms, backstage facilities and the best crew and sound.

Simon Yorath was in charge of the out front sound so we were in great hands and it went off without a hitch. the crowd sang, danced and cheered and the 75 minute set flew by.

we then sat and signed cds for 90 minutes meeting a greeting all the wonderful festival goers, both steadfast fans and hundreds of new ones, what a blast.

Thanks to all the extended Fairport family for having us , we loved it!

We have had an overwhelming response from people following our Cropredy appearance, thank you so much for your kind words, it really does mean a lot to us
."
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 02:23:21 PM »

We had an amazing gig, the stars lined up and it was an utter joy from start to finish.

Cropredy really is one the best festivals in the world for artists, great hospitality, dressing rooms, backstage facilities and the best crew and sound.

Simon Yorath was in charge of the out front sound so we were in great hands and it went off without a hitch. the crowd sang, danced and cheered and the 75 minute set flew by.

we then sat and signed cds for 90 minutes meeting a greeting all the wonderful festival goers, both steadfast fans and hundreds of new ones, what a blast.

We have had an overwhelming response from people following our Cropredy appearance, thank you so much for your kind words, it really does mean a lot to us
."

Class.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
vince42

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 11:24:43 PM »

Whilst they were clearly enjoyed and enjoying themselves I'm afraid they did nothing for me.
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 09:19:06 AM »

Fabulous as always, a lesson in combining superb professionalism with spontaneous joi-de-vivre. Pure class.
JennyB
chums at Bloodstock

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 10:25:23 AM »

."

Class.

Utter class indeed! I stood in that signing queue, having encountered them for the very first time that day, and their warmth and kindness shone through. I am so excited to see them again, and hear more.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Local Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 09:49:39 PM »

Consummate professionals, which must have been difficult in all that wind. Class act.

Paul

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: