TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 19, 2019, 07:54:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wildwood Kin  (Read 655 times)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« on: August 11, 2019, 01:47:44 PM »

Pleasant songs and great harmonies, but zero stage presence (IMHO). Didnít really engage me.
richardkendell

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 01:51:54 PM »

Me neither
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 02:38:06 PM »

Seen 'em before, loved 'em. Take the point about the stage presence though, and that's a big old crowd to reach.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 04:31:51 PM »

I've had their album a couple of years and enjoyed it.  I saw them last year at Towersey and was disappointed because they seemed to be trying too hard.  This year I felt they were more relaxed and did a lot better (though they still need to work on the stage patter).  Maybe it helped that I was at the front, and further back it didn't work so well?

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 06:20:31 PM »

Pleasant enough but nothing to grab my attention. Soon it became just background music as I reverted to reading the programme and chatting to neighbours instead of listening to the music. Shame

Born to Run (but not very fast)
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 10:03:22 AM »

Seen 'em before, loved 'em. Take the point about the stage presence though, and that's a big old crowd to reach.

it's really not..........

it'll be fine.......
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 10:09:00 AM »

Enjoyed 'em.

See What I did in 2018  for a selection of my photos.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

Some boy to be one boy - I should have been twins

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 10:24:03 AM »

Shows how we're all different.  These were my find of the festival.  Beautiful familial harmonies,  enticingly ethereal but not too hippy dippy, overall a delight to the ears (and, if I can say without causing offence, the eyes. What old codger wouldn't be charmed by three beautiful young ladies going oo-oo-ooo a lot?🥴 )

If I could be any animal I wanted...
there'd be something really heavy going on.
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 10:32:01 AM »

another of the few i only heard from the tent but i wasn't taken and i was told by a good friend who was there that they didn't think that they would have been my thing.

it'll be fine.......
Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 10:48:03 AM »

It is though. I've seen them before, and always the crowds are numbered in the hundreds, in small areas. Cropredy is a huge field, and a big crowd, and if you aren't a naturally ebullient performer I would imagine it is difficult. I could be wrong but expect that might be the biggest crowd they have played to. Has to be one of the biggest.
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 10:55:36 AM »

It is though. I've seen them before, and always the crowds are numbered in the hundreds, in small areas. Cropredy is a huge field, and a big crowd, and if you aren't a naturally ebullient performer I would imagine it is difficult. I could be wrong but expect that might be the biggest crowd they have played to. Has to be one of the biggest.

well that's a fair comment in relation to this band but again, it's really not a big festival

it'll be fine.......
Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 11:09:10 AM »

well that's a fair comment in relation to this band but again, it's really not a big festival

No, you're right it isn't, it's a medium sized one I suppose. But a lot of the bands who play Cropredy don't play big stages anywhere else so it must seem huge to them.
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 11:27:34 AM »

hopefully it will be an experience for them to build on and get bigger

it'll be fine.......
Johnny Mann

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 07:36:08 AM »

One of my highlights of the festival, but Iím a sucker for harmony singing. I liked Tors for the same reason, but I think, for me, the girls had better songs. Great sound, really liked Meghannís drum set up. Thought they had a charming understated stage presence. I see theyíre playing in Leeds later this year so might bob along.
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 02:53:16 AM »

They were ok.  I wouldn't go out of my way to see them again. They sent me to sleep!

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Local Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 04:52:12 PM »

Pleasant, and enjoyable, but I wouldn't go and see them in concert.

Paul

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: