TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 19, 2019, 07:58:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls  (Read 1202 times)
Sue & Chris

« on: August 11, 2019, 01:21:26 PM »

I thought they were utterly brilliant.  A totally whole-hearted, energetic, vibrant performance.  One of the best headline shows I've seen at Cropredy in 26 years of attending. A friend of mine compares Turner to Springsteen, in that he seems to play every show with 100% commitment, as if no-one in the audience had ever heard of him (and I guess a fair few at Cropredy hadn't), and as if it could be his last.  The band was great and seemed to be having a whale of a time.  He seemed to really respect the festival and what it means to the people who go - great shout outs to Seth Lakeman and RT as well.

His solo number about his girlfriend playing him 'Beeswing' for the first time was beautiful and touching - you could see how nervous he was about playing it.  A really sweet moment. 'Be More Kind' is also a great song - a clarion call for sanity in a world gone haywire - and the sequence of full-throttle numbers at the end was superb.  Perhaps it was a mistake to start off with one of his more thrashy songs (I bet a few bailed almost straight away), but for me it was pretty much the perfect festival set.  

The only disappointing thing was the size of his audience. I know it had been a trying day weather-wise, and his set coincided with the longest spell of rain during the festival performances, but it was still a shock to turn back at the end and see the whole field beyond the sound tower almost completely deserted. At least there was a good crowd at the front.

Anyway - 10/10, best of the weekend and capped off a great evening (has there ever been a better run of acts at Cropredy than Seth Lakeman, RT and Frank Turner?) Quality.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 01:32:09 PM »

Stayed for maybe the first five songs, but they didn't engage me and then the rain set in. Talking to people that seems to be a common experience.

However between sets on Saturday evening Radio Oxford played the end of their set, which sounded really good.

Maybe if they had started with more melodic stuff, it would have endeared people to them more and held an audience in the rain.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 01:37:24 PM »

Stunning - 10/10.

To be a great act, you need a charismatic front man, a connection to the audience, and a connection to where you are playing. Frank had all of this and more. For the first time in more than a decade I headed to the front. My voice is shot to pieces with singing, and my back knackered through dancing, but I’d do it all again in a heartbeat.

He seemed to really ‘get’ the festival rather than a lift and drop headliner who could be anywhere. For the first time in ages I felt a real connection between the band and my fellow attendees during the set (bar Fairport).

Easily one of the best experiences in my 31 years at Cropredy.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 02:36:16 PM »

He is a proper frontman, and really knows how to work a crowd, and has the great songs to back up his antics. Shame that the weather emptied much of the field but he gave it a go and was every bit as good as I expected. The two new songs he did at the radio tent were terrific as well.

The crowd down the front was more energetic and engaged than any I can remember at Croppers.

I hope they ask him back in a dry year.  
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 04:24:32 PM »

Like YaBB, I bailed after about five songs when the rain set in, as it seemed to just be 'shouty man sings and musicians play fast', and I was feeling wet and tired.  But I could hear the rest of his set from my tent on Field 4 quite well, and I warmed to him from what I could hear, especially as he did seem to 'get' the festival.  So if he plays again, in a dry year, I may well give him a proper go.  

But apparently a lot of the budget went on him, so whether they could afford him again is another matter.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 04:56:41 PM »

Same as others - lasted abour 1/2 hour - 40 minutes but really enjoyed what I heard.

DW
richardkendell

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 05:08:37 PM »

I was a bit disappointed not to see him having seen him at Folk By The Oak. But I looked at the sky and decided I'd be better off in the dry in my tent (it's an age thing!).
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 05:09:59 PM »

Outstanding. The best performance since Alice Cooper.
Great songs,great energy and so much respect for the festival.
Wandering Steve

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 05:23:12 PM »

Superb
One of my personal top five sets in the dozen years I’ve been a fairporter.
Engaged with the crowd,musically brilliant and got what the festival was all about.
One of those cropredy I was there moments if you braved it for four simple words.
I’d love to see them back and what’s more I think they’d love it too.
johnmitch93

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 05:24:52 PM »

I couldn't disagree less - they were superb. Got soaked watching, but stayed... Cheesy
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 06:08:05 PM »

Totally agree with Sue & Chris, Adam etc, Frank Turner was utterly brilliant. Had never seen him before and was really looking forward to it and he didn’t disappoint. I’m a sucker for the fast, loud stuff having been a punk back in my youth  Grin Despite my struggle against the weather conditions (try attempting to do blood sugar tests and insulin jabs in the wind and rain) we stuck it out to the end.

Also loved his honesty and self-deprecating attitude. Will continue to add to my Frank Turner CD collection on the back of his performance

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Wandering Steve

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 06:17:41 PM »

Totally agree with Sue & Chris, Adam etc, Frank Turner was utterly brilliant. Had never seen him before and was really looking forward to it and he didn’t disappoint. I’m a sucker for the fast, loud stuff having been a punk back in my youth  Grin Despite my struggle against the weather conditions (try attempting to do blood sugar tests and insulin jabs in the wind and rain) we stuck it out to the end.

Also loved his honesty and self-deprecating attitude. Will continue to add to my Frank Turner CD collection on the back of his performance

Being insulin dependent I know what you mean Chris.
I sought shelter in a portaloo for my jabs etc but hadn’t considered it was pitch black Cheesy
However nothing would’ve stopped me watching that set and bizarrely if you stuck it out till the end through the wind,rain and mud it was like a badge of honour moment for many Cropredy’s to come!
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 06:37:02 PM »

Being insulin dependent I know what you mean Chris.
I sought shelter in a portaloo for my jabs etc but hadn’t considered it was pitch black Cheesy
However nothing would’ve stopped me watching that set and bizarrely if you stuck it out till the end through the wind,rain and mud it was like a badge of honour moment for many Cropredy’s to come!

Ha! Yes thought about the portaloo but my eyes aren’t brilliant either so just had fun chasing swabs etc in the wind  Grin. I think we should get a special badge made...I survived the Cropredy Weather!  Grin

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 11:38:13 PM »

I stayed for about 5 numbers until I got so wet I started to shiver.  He was clearly enjoying it and the crowd that was left loved him.

Please get him back soon so I can watch the lot! In the dry... if possible!  Cheesy

Confusion will be my epitaph
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 11:47:10 PM »

i went into this only knowing one song of his which isn't high on my playlist, but had heard great things about him so kept an open mind.  it took about half an hout before i 'got' it, then i was down at the front in the rain loving him!

needs further research!

it'll be fine.......
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 11:55:23 PM »

Having seen him the weekend before at Wickham, where he f-bombed every sentence, I was pleasantly surprised he only swore twice this time.

The Cropredy set was not the same set, he'd obviously put some thought into what might please the Croppers crowd and Wendy and I were both disappointed at the audience departures.

He's an original and amusing talent and if he turns up on the roster again, I'll be there to see him.

Damn good stuff.

See What I did in 2018  for a selection of my photos.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 12:17:42 AM »

needs further research!

Check out Dive Dive too while you're searching.

Cheers

Nick

...putting the finishing touchés on some witty ripostes
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 12:30:03 AM »

needs further research!

Cheers

Nick

oh hello friend, i will, thanks for the rec and lots of love to you, fi and alex xxx

it'll be fine.......
StephenB
something about the grinding beat

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

Some boy to be one boy - I should have been twins

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2019, 01:14:08 AM »

This is one of the acts i was apprehensive about (thought Billy Bragg meets the Pogues but they should keep it to themselves). But with my jug of beer and my poncho on I sat it out - and was  blown away by him (them).  I can't blame anyone for leaving given the conditions, but he kept it going and played expertly to the crowd in front of him. As said above, "Engaged with the crowd,musically brilliant and got what the festival was all about.".
"Getting " Cropredy seems to be a major factor in the success or otherwise of turns there, and he really massively got it.. My big "Exceeded expectations " prize this year.

If I could be any animal I wanted...
there'd be something really heavy going on.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2019, 09:30:50 AM »

needs further research!

Cheers

Nick

oh hello friend, i will, thanks for the rec and lots of love to you, fi and alex xxx

And to you three too! Sorry we didn't make it.

Dive Dive are essentially The Sleeping Souls but as their own band rather than as FT's backing band. Part of the Oxford scene from the early 2000s, basically the missing link between Radiohead and Foals. They rock.

Cheers

Nick

...putting the finishing touchés on some witty ripostes
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: