TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 04, 2020, 12:49:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC Radio Oxford  (Read 3612 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« on: August 05, 2019, 03:39:16 PM »

For all those armchair attendees, like me, BBC Radio Oxford is once again providing 7 hours of coverage from 6pm on Saturday.

Admittedly I do usually end up wanting to throttle the presenters who, even after many years of doing this, do not seem to understand the festival they are covering and end up being irritatingly zany and patronising, but the music will hopefully be good.

Available locally on FM & DAB or worldwide via the internet, internet radio, apps such as Tune In or the BBC Radio app. It is also usually available on Listen Again services afterward so I presume it will be this year too.
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxfordshire

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 06:05:39 PM »

Thanks Gub...I think Radio Oxford will be my virtual Cropredy as I've not booked for this year...Just a slight chance of changing my mind last minute though and going along on Saturday...Assuming there are still tickets available of course... Undecided Smiley
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 09:56:29 PM »

The BBC Radio Oxford webstream is:

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_oxford.m3u8
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 06:05:52 PM »

Well, dispatches from the site have been mighty thin on the ground on here this year but the radio coverage is now underway with a live session from Fraser Nimmo.

It sounds as though the usual technical drop outs are fully in play again. You would have thought that the BBC would have worked out how to do this by now.
mightyglydd
An electric train freak should have no problems

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 06:24:59 PM »

I'm getting it here, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_oxford  drop outs and all..
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 07:12:55 PM »

We decided to pack up and come home this morning, the weather having taken its toll. Iíd like to have stayed but Mike wasnít enjoying himself.

So, Iím sat at home listening to Radio Oxford. The presenters are awful but Iím currently enjoying the interview with the delightful Ric Sanders so thatís nice  Cheesy

And shortly I will be sat in the bath listening to it!!   Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
JohnP69

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 07:18:37 PM »

We decided to pack up and come home this morning, the weather having taken its toll. Iíd like to have stayed but Mike wasnít enjoying himself.

So, Iím sat at home listening to Radio Oxford. The presenters are awful but Iím currently enjoying the interview with the delightful Ric Sanders so thatís nice †Cheesy

And shortly I will be sat in the bath listening to it!! † Grin

A couple of friends reported this morning that one of their tents collapsed last night and he ended up sleeping in his car.
Their other tent blew down first thing.
They're staying until about 11 tonight.
Were many leaving when you were Bridget?
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 07:23:13 PM »

So, Iím sat at home listening to Radio Oxford. The presenters are awful but Iím currently enjoying the interview with the delightful Ric Sanders so thatís nice †Cheesy

A couple of friends reported this morning that one of their tents collapsed last night and he ended up sleeping in his car.
A few left before us but some left yesterday. Was a bit surprised by the gaps appearing around the fields.

We wanted to see Digance and also wandered over to Field 8 before we decided to go.

JohnP69

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 07:30:40 PM »

A few left before us but some left yesterday. Was a bit surprised by the gaps appearing around the fields.

We wanted to see Digance and also wandered over to Field 8 before we decided to go.

My friend sent me a video of Digance doing "We Are Searching" and it looked pretty blustery then
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 07:34:45 PM »

That was a great interview with Ric. Very moving about Maart. I'm looking forward to the tribute later. And The Wounded Whale! Wow!
Glen S

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 07:36:41 PM »

Also listening to Radio Oxford and loved the interview with Ric...Sad that I didn't get to Cropredy this year, but nice to have the wireless as a substitute...Martin Barre band sounding great with Peggy on stage with them now...Sorry the weather has been a bit of a trial for all involved... Sad
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 07:51:43 PM by Glen S » Logged
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 09:07:28 PM »

Male BBC Oxford Presenter: ďSo, what are they saying about Cropredy on Twitter and social media?Ē
Female Presenter: ďWell, thereís lots of glitter, loads of glitter. And sequins. People even have sequins on their faces.Ē

Really? REALLY? Nothing about the superb music and musicians, the weather, the atmosphere of fellowship when everyone did a Mass Morris Dance with Digance? The food, the amazing crowd?

No. The glitter and sequins. I bet itís not even biodegradable glitter.

STOP. GETTING. CROPREDY. WRONG.   Angry  (paraphrasing Alan Partridge there!!)

Tw@ts!!!  Lips Sealed

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 09:21:03 PM »

Male BBC Oxford Presenter: ďSo, what are they saying about Cropredy on Twitter and social media?Ē
Female Presenter: ďWell, thereís lots of glitter, loads of glitter. And sequins. People even have sequins on their faces.Ē

Really? REALLY? Nothing about the superb music and musicians, the weather, the atmosphere of fellowship when everyone did a Mass Morris Dance with Digance? The food, the amazing crowd?

No. The glitter and sequins. I bet itís not even biodegradable glitter.

STOP. GETTING. CROPREDY. WRONG. † Angry †(paraphrasing Alan Partridge there!!)

Tw@ts!!! †Lips Sealed

Good lord Radio Oxford are a shambles. Year after year they stuff it up royally.

To be fair Bridj they did spend quite of time on Digance's Morris dance earlier which one of the presenters admitted to finding very moving. Then Digance blotted his copy book again by declaring love for the audience at the end of his set after insulting a bunch of them just a couple of minutes earlier.  

But you are right, they misrepresent the festival repeatedly and constantly refer to "festival traditions" that have only been part of the event for about 5 minutes out of its 40 year history.
Tom52

Loc: Munich

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 09:22:19 PM »

As I couldn't go this year I am very happy to listen to this now.

Am I the only one annoyed by them always saying "on the main stage". I mean how many stages are there?

Or does main stage mean something different in English? (I am not a native speaker)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2019, 09:27:50 PM »

As I couldn't go this year I am very happy to listen to this now.

Am I the only one annoyed by them always saying "on the main stage". I mean how many stages are there?

Or does main stage mean something different in English? (I am not a native speaker)

It has sort of become known as the main stage since the growth of the fringe where there are two other stages though they are not officially part of the festival. And I think they are also distinguishing it from the Radio Oxford acoustic stage for the purpose of the broadcast.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2019, 09:30:46 PM »

Blimey, Sean has had a charisma bypass.  Roll Eyes
Glen S

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2019, 09:43:20 PM »

Blimey, Sean has had a charisma bypass. †Roll Eyes

I was thinking exactly the same thing...Good job that particular interview was brief... Roll Eyes
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2019, 10:41:12 PM »

Just tuning in now. This is a superb rendition of John the Gun. Wish i was there...
Tom52

Loc: Munich

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2019, 10:42:50 PM »

Yes I like it, too. Who was playing solo guitar?
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 10:43:47 PM »

Yes I like it, too. Who was playing solo guitar?

Maybe PJ Wright?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: