TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:15:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Chatter  (Read 127722 times)
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #180 on: August 14, 2019, 08:49:54 AM »

The grass was definitely thicker than usual in field 2, but problems with pegs were more than compensated for by the lack of cow pats. As for guys, we tied the gazebo to the car as well as multiple guys with the result that the metal struts  sheared right off in tbe wind.
Wardi

Loc: N.Yorkshire

« Reply #181 on: August 14, 2019, 08:50:32 AM »

Just to expand on what Dad Volt said re. Glamping..  I never had to queue for a loo or a shower (the latter were roomy and had plenty of hot water), also on my visits they were always clean.  Indeed the overall experience was that everything simply felt like less hassle than usual.  The bell tents were big so plenty of space to stand up/move around and store your stuff.  On our first night we discovered our double height mattress was a bit under inflated as I slid out of bed in bouncy castle mode!  Once reported the next morning the crew were round with a pump to put matters right.  They were also working well on Saturday morning fixing pinged guy ropes and checking for problems. All the bell tents stayed up in the wind.

The shared fridges and hot drink facilities were useful, as was the phone charging and relaxing tent.  A 'pampering' tent was also there complete with mirrors and hairdryers.  It was nice to be able to leave your phone/device charging unattended (as many did) without worrying about it going missing.  I didn't use the buggy transport to the main field but it was there for those who needed it.

It is difficult to justify glamping on a VFM scale, circa £500 is a lot of money for a tent/camping weekend on top of your festival ticket.  When the tickets for 2020 become available just before Xmas, for some I suspect it will be a hefty chunk of money to find at that time of year.  Overall though, ourselves and our chums/neighbours said there is probably no going back so a repeat next year is likely!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2019, 09:28:09 AM »

Agree about the length of the grass on Field 4.  It struck me as soon as I got the tent out of the car on Thursday morning.  I don't know if that affected the stability of the tent - I'd wondered why I felt a bit chilly overnight and when I got up on Sat am found that some of the pegs had been pulled out in the wind, even the side I was sleeping.  Thankfully I had some extras, so double-pegged as far as possible, and they all held after that.  I hope I managed to get them all out again, and think I did, but with the length of the grass it would have been easy to have missed some.

The flexible pole holding the entrance up twisted so much in the wind on Saturday afternoon that many of the sections split lengthwise though!  Thankfully it was good to enough to still use that night but has gone in the bin now.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #183 on: August 14, 2019, 09:33:00 AM »

Over the years, I've gradually upgraded my camping equipment in order to improve comfort.  Sadly, this year, one of my airbeds decided unexpectedly (I'd tested them over the previous weekend!) to deflate repeatedly, which has resulted in my lower back being very stiff and achy ever since.

So, for future years, I'll either be looking for hotel accommodation (if attending all 3 days), or for Saturday-only visits, using a replacement sleeping facility for the tent.

However, while not wishing to become a Chair-porter (  Wink ), I may well invest in one of those little foldable cushion jobs. Or a (telescopic? shooting-stick...

Flobbadob!
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2019, 09:38:05 AM »

Thinking of talk re headliners etc I have had a quick trawl through comparable festivals to see the other bands on the circuit this year - would any of these have made a difference to Cropredy 2019:

WICKHAM: Frank Turner / Graham Nash / Judy Collins / Proclaimers / Level 42 / Gilbert O'Sullivan

CORNBURY: Specials / Keane / Beach Boys / Echo + Bunnymen / KT Tunstall / Gaz Coombes

MOSELEY: Don McLean / Jake Bugg / Public Service B'casting / Edwyn Collins / Zutons

TOWERSEY: Cockney Rebel / From the Jam / Selecter

CAMBRIDGE: Ralph M / Lucinda Williams

I think looking at these that the Cropredy line up wasn't too bad this year, and a lot of the bands at other fests have played Cropredy in the past (Selecter / Proclaimers / Level 42 / Cockney Rebel). What seems clear from Towersey, Moseley and Cambridge is that "folk" festivals seem to have real problems in getting folk bands with a big enough reach to generate interest with the more folky acts being on the undercard.

DW
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #185 on: August 14, 2019, 10:05:05 AM »

Thinking of talk re headliners etc I have had a quick trawl through comparable festivals to see the other bands on the circuit this year - would any of these have made a difference to Cropredy 2019:

WICKHAM: Frank Turner / Graham Nash / Judy Collins / Proclaimers / Level 42 / Gilbert O'Sullivan

CORNBURY: Specials / Keane / Beach Boys / Echo + Bunnymen / KT Tunstall / Gaz Coombes

MOSELEY: Don McLean / Jake Bugg / Public Service B'casting / Edwyn Collins / Zutons

TOWERSEY: Cockney Rebel / From the Jam / Selecter

CAMBRIDGE: Ralph M / Lucinda Williams

I think looking at these that the Cropredy line up wasn't too bad this year, and a lot of the bands at other fests have played Cropredy in the past (Selecter / Proclaimers / Level 42 / Cockney Rebel). What seems clear from Towersey, Moseley and Cambridge is that "folk" festivals seem to have real problems in getting folk bands with a big enough reach to generate interest with the more folky acts being on the undercard.

DW

Lucinda , Graham Nash and Cockney Rebel would suit me fine.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #186 on: August 14, 2019, 10:11:17 AM »

I was happy with the headliners at Cropredy this year but from the list of others:

Thursday night: KT Tunstall (if with a band)

Friday night; Keane

Saturday afternoon special guest: From the Jam
Saturday solo pre Fairport: Ralph M
Saturday Fairport guest: Graham Nash with Fairport for 1/2 hour of hits

DW
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #187 on: August 14, 2019, 10:18:25 AM »

I was happy with the headliners at Cropredy this year but from the list of others:

Friday night; Keane

DW

Would love that line-up!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #188 on: August 14, 2019, 10:20:15 AM »

Friday night; Keane

DW

Not sure about Keane for Cropredy. Don't get me wrong. I like them but they might be a bit Marmite for a Cropredy audience. Lucinda Williams would be excellent for Cropredy but not as a headliner as she would not bring in a big audience of her own.
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #189 on: August 14, 2019, 10:22:51 AM »

Saw Michael Franti & Spearhead in Camden last night.

They would blow the lid off at Cropredy.

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2019, 10:26:39 AM »

Friday night; Keane

DW

Not sure about Keane for Cropredy. Don't get me wrong. I like them but they might be a bit Marmite for a Cropredy audience. Lucinda Williams would be excellent for Cropredy but not as a headliner as she would not bring in a big audience of her own.

If not KT Tunstall or Lucinda Williams, how about Amy Macdonald? One of my all time favourites (saw her last year at The Barbican in London) is Mary Chapin Carpenter - now that would be wonderful (for me anyway  Smiley )

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #191 on: August 14, 2019, 10:26:59 AM »

Does Cropredy actually have a lid?

#NotSeenThat

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #192 on: August 14, 2019, 10:56:54 AM »

Friday night; Keane

DW

If not KT Tunstall or Lucinda Williams, how about Amy Macdonald? One of my all time favourites (saw her last year at The Barbican in London) is Mary Chapin Carpenter - now that would be wonderful (for me anyway   Smiley )

Me too. Her show in Worthing last year was one of my favourite gigs of the year.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #193 on: August 14, 2019, 12:23:06 PM »

Friday night; Keane

DW

Would love that line-up!
And me. Keane are great but maybe not enough hits (not that that matters).

From the Jam are absolutely brilliant and would go down a storm

I'd like to see the pre-FC slot filled by a female artist for a change - KT Tunstill would be good for that.

And, yes, any member of CSN&Y would be most welcome  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
spooley (Simon)

« Reply #194 on: August 14, 2019, 01:31:08 PM »

Hopefully it might appear on YouTube or somewhere soon...  hope so.

The Maart tribute photo-montage has appeared on the official Fairport YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn0JN8yFKVY
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #195 on: August 14, 2019, 01:33:01 PM »

KT Tunstall is great but i have to say Keane are in the same bracket as Coldplay for me.....just a bit dull.

it'll be fine.......
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #196 on: August 14, 2019, 01:36:54 PM »

The Maart tribute photo-montage has appeared on the official Fairport YouTube channel:
I shouldn't have watched this in work  Cry  Cry how beautiful

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #197 on: August 14, 2019, 02:33:01 PM »

I shouldn't have watched this in work  Cry  Cry how beautiful

Same...it is all beautiful but the photo of Maart and Simon just really gutted me in particular for some reason.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #198 on: August 14, 2019, 04:39:24 PM »

Beautifully compiled and presented. Did 'im proud!  Smiley Cry

Flobbadob!
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #199 on: August 14, 2019, 04:59:35 PM »

Re comments above...
Graham Nash was absolutely stunning at Cambridge this year. I wasn’t sure what to expect and with his usual guitar player and keyboard player he gave a consummate performance. He did not dial it in.
Conversely Lucinda Williams just went through the motions for me.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: