TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:50:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Chatter  (Read 127754 times)
Andy Leonard

« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2019, 11:37:09 PM »

For what it’s worth I thought Simon’s voice was in tip top condition and that he sung beautifully all night. This is not rose tinted spectacles 2 days after the event, I commented on it at the time. Oh well wouldn’t it be boring if everyone saw things in the same light.

PeteD
They choose the path where no one goes...Gercha!

« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2019, 12:01:08 AM »

they want to see more upbeat energetic bands build up the energy as the afternoons progress.  they are all appreciative of acoustic and trad but they want a more lively feel as they move into the evening..........

many of these 'kids' are used to going to much bigger festivals with multiple stages and would like to see more of it at Cropredy, F8, the Fringe and the Edge are moving it in that direction.

i feel like there is not much to see at Cropredy.  it's not much of an attack on the senses.  not much effort is made with the site at all.  
that said we love it, but why?  a lot of it is nostalgia, because we always go, we have a lot of memories, and occasionally they will pull a corking line up out of the bag like for me, this year, but listening to the kids tlk this year, and reading all of the comments on here, i feel like it has to lmove forward. GB and Sin' Dogs is going in the right direction.

Completely agree Abby. I certainly fall in the 'old farts' category this being my 34th consecutive Cropredy. But it does need to evolve and offer more.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2019, 12:35:41 AM »

Why are those two bands in particular going in the right direction? Some liked them, some hated them, some were just whelmed by them. It certainly wouldn't be the right direction for me...just saying. With respect, its about more than just what your kids want, there are many other people to please.

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2019, 09:40:32 AM »

Why are those two bands in particular going in the right direction? Some liked them, some hated them, some were just whelmed by them. It certainly wouldn't be the right direction for me...just saying. With respect, its about more than just what your kids want, there are many other people to please.

I thought they were quite ‘niche’..maybe I am becoming an old f*rt myself, but looking around at the people, most around us weren’t feeling the love.

We felt they were out of keeping with the festival. I think younger acts like The Pierce Brothers appeal to the younger generation as well as keeping the spirit of the festival.

If we are talking big names, for the younger generation, the likes of Sam Smith, Jess Glynne, Tom Walker, Rag ‘n’ Bone Man would be more in keeping ( though possibly too expensive at the moment).
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2019, 11:17:54 AM »

Abby - I read to the end! But I don't see how your story proves your point. You seem to be saying that your young folk found something to like about a lot of the performers, and therefore the festival needs to change. I don't understand how the first point leads to the second?

i think, and i am not entirely sure myself, that my point is they want more of it......thry want it to be more....harder......i don't know.  listening to my daughter lamenting about how the levs came on and did a disappointing acoustic set (for whatever reason) last year was interesting.  knowing that she was at the front for RT.  watching her laugh at the 'signs'.  seeing her face as she discovered new music and holding her and crying with her as we went back to old places.

they don't want Cropredy to disappear from what we all know it as, but they want it to turn into something more......
i'm sure G could articulate this much better.

it'll be fine.......
iandiddams

« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2019, 11:25:39 AM »

[ listening to my daughter lamenting about how the levs came on and did a disappointing acoustic set (for whatever reason) last year was interesting.  

she wasnt alone in her thoughts - us far older group all left during their set.

didds
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2019, 11:27:06 AM »

I thought they were quite ‘niche’..maybe I am becoming an old f*rt myself, but looking around at the people, most around us weren’t feeling the love.

We felt they were out of keeping with the festival. I think younger acts like The Pierce Brothers appeal to the younger generation as well as keeping the spirit of the festival.

If we are talking big names, for the younger generation, the likes of Sam Smith, Jess Glynne, Tom Walker, Rag ‘n’ Bone Man would be more in keeping ( though possibly too expensive at the moment).

you can see these people anywhere, any weekend at any festival.  this is not really the kind of acts we are talking about.  they are mainstream.  'my' kids are talking about new and exciting folk stuff, some trad, some very not, some high energy, some very not.

i'm not posting this to say i think this or that should happen, i just noticed a feeling amongst my younger companions which i think needs some thought.  
they love coming to Cropredy with their families.  they could all buy a ticket to Reading if they wanted to but they still come to Cropredy because they love it. but they have their opinions on how it could move forward and that is all i am trying to convey.  heck, we all know we old folkies aren't going to live forever.  the kids don't want it to end there.

it'll be fine.......
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2019, 11:50:19 AM »

Yes, you are right about seeing them anywhere, I was thinking getting numbers up and being more in keeping.

For more ‘metal’ stuff, one of our young friends is into Arch Enemy...these, at least, have great guitar solos though I still don’t get the growly, shouty singing.

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2019, 12:12:29 PM »

I've been convinced for years that ELO was going to be announced as a headliner! They'd be brilliant. Queen would be good too, as would The Who. We don't know the budget so why not dream?   Grin

I definitely didn't go for the line up this year, I thought it was quite weak, but I go for the craic as much as the music. As is already mentioned, people expect more these days than just a nice vibe and good music. I'm really glad Cropredy is expanding, Field 8 is a success, the Glamping sold out and The Edge is a great place to go. We have the 2 pubs and other things organised in and around the village. It will only carry on if it grows and starts to offer more.

I'm sure there was a time when the first car boot was proposed and people moaned about it!!! Now they love it  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2019, 12:19:23 PM »

Yes, you are right about seeing them anywhere, I was thinking getting numbers up and being more in keeping.

For more ‘metal’ stuff, one of our young friends is into Arch Enemy...these, at least, have great guitar solos though I still don’t get the growly, shouty singing.

Oh wow, now there's a name I never thought I would see suggested to play Cropredy.  Grin  I'll buy a ticket today if they are booked for next year. I'm not sure if there has ever been a decent metal band play at Croppers, get 'em.
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #170 on: August 13, 2019, 12:22:02 PM »

I've been convinced for years that ELO was going to be announced as a headliner! They'd be brilliant. Queen would be good too, as would The Who. We don't know the budget so why not dream?   Grin

I definitely didn't go for the line up this year, I thought it was quite weak, but I go for the craic as much as the music. As is already mentioned, people expect more these days than just a nice vibe and good music. I'm really glad Cropredy is expanding, Field 8 is a success, the Glamping sold out and The Edge is a great place to go. We have the 2 pubs and other things organised in and around the village. It will only carry on if it grows and starts to offer more.

I'm sure there was a time when the first car boot was proposed and people moaned about it!!! Now they love it  Smiley

all of this, Bridge x

it'll be fine.......
Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #171 on: August 13, 2019, 03:28:20 PM »

I agree the mix needs to change if they are to encourage continued attendance from a younger age group. Having said that, Zal Cleminson is 70 and probably didn't appeal to youngsters, but I loved him and his Sin Dogs. A refreshing change from one or two more drab acts earlier in the weekend.

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #172 on: August 13, 2019, 04:28:46 PM »

The budget definitely has a lot to do with it or James Taylor would have been on by now.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #173 on: August 13, 2019, 04:47:38 PM »

Oh wow, now there's a name I never thought I would see suggested to play Cropredy.  Grin  I'll buy a ticket today if they are booked for next year. I'm not sure if there has ever been a decent metal band play at Croppers, get 'em.

Umm I didn’t actually suggest them  Grin
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #174 on: August 13, 2019, 06:13:34 PM »

Changing the subject, did anyone go for the glamping and, if so, how was it?
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #175 on: August 13, 2019, 06:22:00 PM »

i know a certain Dad Volt was in there, don't know what the verdict is apart from posh bog roll.

it'll be fine.......
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #176 on: August 13, 2019, 06:40:33 PM »

i know a certain Dad Volt was in there, don't know what the verdict is apart from posh bog roll.

My review that I put on Facebook.
"We arrived around 1pm on the Wednesday which in itself was lovely. Presented with Glamping and Festival wristbands there and then which was nice. FC tote bag with programme, poncho and steel water flask. The staff were  thoroughly lovely and gave us a guided tour of the facilities.  Our tent was great for our needs (2 doubles). The fridges were useful (to be honest we only used it for milk). Unlimited tea and coffee available whenever. We didn't use the bar,but ate breakfast there once. We intended to have another one but they stoped serving at 10am. During the worst of the storms the staff were constantly checking the tents and guys. Toilets and showers definitely a cut above the normal. The field was just 5 minutes opposite the top entrance of the arena,so not too far. There was a buggy service for people with limited mobility.  An undocumented feature was the fantastic sound quality for the soundchecks etc! Overall it was a thoroughly interesting experience, personally I missed camping with my usual mates but I would certainly say it was worth it and we may well repeat the experience next year."

Happy mainly.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #177 on: August 13, 2019, 09:13:09 PM »

I think I’m sold!!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #178 on: August 13, 2019, 09:26:40 PM »

One thought about the camping generally and the weather conditions. I was in Field 4 and it was actually pretty tricky to get the usual tent pegs into the ground due to the length and thickness of grass. Thankfully we had some more heavy duty longer pegs in the bottom of the tent pole bag but it seemed the grass was longer than usual. I understand it is grazing land but wonder if this was a factor on some tents having problems as they weren't properly anchored into the soil through the grass even if it seemed that they were.

DW
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #179 on: August 14, 2019, 07:24:28 AM »

My review that I put on Facebook.
"We arrived around 1pm on the Wednesday which in itself was lovely. Presented with Glamping and Festival wristbands there and then which was nice. FC tote bag with programme, poncho and steel water flask. The staff were  thoroughly lovely and gave us a guided tour of the facilities.  Our tent was great for our needs (2 doubles). The fridges were useful (to be honest we only used it for milk). Unlimited tea and coffee available whenever. We didn't use the bar,but ate breakfast there once. We intended to have another one but they stoped serving at 10am. During the worst of the storms the staff were constantly checking the tents and guys. Toilets and showers definitely a cut above the normal. The field was just 5 minutes opposite the top entrance of the arena,so not too far. There was a buggy service for people with limited mobility.  An undocumented feature was the fantastic sound quality for the soundchecks etc! Overall it was a thoroughly interesting experience, personally I missed camping with my usual mates but I would certainly say it was worth it and we may well repeat the experience next year."

The glamping option has convinced my wife to come with me next year after a 10 yr absence!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: