TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:00:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Chatter  (Read 130199 times)
Martin F

Loc: Bicester

« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2019, 10:46:27 AM »

I am so sorry to do this but I can only hope that Fairport set was better on the field than it is on the radio.
Simon got voice probs?
I am just really feeling for them.....

I think he may have as Peggy seems to be taking a surprising number of lead vocals (which is not an improvement). Simon's voice does seem to have been losing some power and control for a few years now. It is a worry as they will be playing The Wounded Whale later which really needs a good vocal from Simon.

Thanks Al. I hate to be seen as critical but something isn’t right......

The last couple of times I've seen them I thought that Simon's vocals weren't particularly good.

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2019, 11:19:57 AM »

I am so sorry to do this but I can only hope that Fairport set was better on the field than it is on the radio.
Simon got voice probs?

I think he may have as Peggy seems to be taking a surprising number of lead vocals (which is not an improvement). Simon's voice does seem to have been losing some power and control for a few years now. It is a worry as they will be playing The Wounded Whale later which really needs a good vocal from Simon.

Thanks Al. I hate to be seen as critical but something isn’t right......

The last couple of times I've seen them I thought that Simon's vocals weren't particularly good.

It did improve as the set went on (based on radio evidence) so I guess it just took a bit of time for his vocal cords to warm up.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2019, 01:58:15 PM »

Just back. Highlights for me The magnificent Thompson set, Sally doing John The Gun, Brother Paul, Trad Arrr and Leatherat. Low points Gogol Bordello and Sin Dogs. Loads of respect to Miss Dee Palmer too.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2019, 04:26:55 PM »

Simon got voice probs?

Peggy singing anything other than bv's is a mistake, i thought his polly on the shore sounded awful

The Dude abides
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2019, 04:29:04 PM »

One of my best Cropredys ever from the point of the music. There were only two acts I didn't enjoy at all - Gogol Bordello and Sin Dogs.  All the rest had something for me.

The weather was not so great though.  But it did seem to keep people awake and more involved with the music, at least from what i could see where I was based (LH side of the sound tower looking at the stage).

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2019, 04:29:42 PM »

Simon got voice probs?

Peggy singing anything other than bv's is a mistake, i thought his polly on the shore sounded awful

I'm afraid you're right.  I had hoped PJ would sing it, as well as playing guitar, but no...

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2019, 04:38:36 PM »

Turns that were spotted staying on site for the whole festival: (which is nice)

Lil'jim
Wakeman (& family)

any others?

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
johnmitch93

« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2019, 05:22:19 PM »

I was really looking forward to Gogol Bordello and was not disappointed - they were fab...!

Never heard of Sin Dogs before but liked them - great stage craft and funny songs...

Didn't see all the bands on the main stage due to Brasenose, Red Lion, walking about etc.

The only one I thought was a bit meh was Tors.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #128 on: August 11, 2019, 05:37:10 PM »

Lil'jim
Wakeman (& family)

any others?

I believe Damien Wilson stayed all weekend too.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2019, 05:48:54 PM »

Wasn't he up on stage during MOTL?

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2019, 05:51:21 PM »

Sorry to double post, but must gave much credit to the crew for all the hard work they must have done to keep the show on the road during the winds.  There was a reference to a panic at 4am on Saturday morning - don't know exactly what that was, but it sounded like it was all hands on deck to make sure that the show went on.  And is it true that we were the only festival not cancelled on Saturday?

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Wandering Steve

« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2019, 06:21:43 PM »

Sorry to double post, but must gave much credit to the crew for all the hard work they must have done to keep the show on the road during the winds.  There was a reference to a panic at 4am on Saturday morning - don't know exactly what that was, but it sounded like it was all hands on deck to make sure that the show went on.  And is it true that we were the only festival not cancelled on Saturday?

+1
I heard it was all hands on deck reinforcing the stage and taking other bits n bobs down.
A shout out to the scouts too,as well as the annual field tidying they were also on hand on the campsites putting tents back up that had come back down on hurricane Saturday.
Deserved every pound of their collection
Heroes every one
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2019, 09:48:31 PM »

Lil'jim
Wakeman (& family)

any others?

Yes, we spotted him chatting to fans ...he was so charismatic he just shone out even just walking around. And yes, he was on stage for MOTL.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2019, 09:56:22 PM »

Lil'jim
Wakeman (& family)

any others?

Yes, we spotted him chatting to fans ...he was so charismatic he just shone out even just walking around. And yes, he was on stage for MOTL.
He does have oodles of charisma  Grin I was particularly impressed with how he got back up on the stage after jumping down for the second time. Very sprightly and fit for a 49 year old!!!  Shocked

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2019, 10:01:37 PM »

And is it true that we were the only festival not cancelled on Saturday?

Not sure, but there was a load of rushing around making things safe before the field was opened on Saturday. The stage was cleared a couple of times until it was passed as safe. Some of the trader's stands had banners taken down and there were preparations for if things got worse.
In the end the arena opened twenty minutes late. That is people being in control of the situation, real organisation and everybody knowing their job.

* crop_19_12.JPG (218.6 KB, 907x631 - viewed 796 times.)

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2019, 10:14:53 PM »

And is it true that we were the only festival not cancelled on Saturday?

No, I think Boomtown went ahead in Winchester but suffered some devastation on their campsites. The winds in the south were apocalyptic for about 24 hours. I think Cropredy only got a relatively short burst of it.
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2019, 11:02:16 PM »

Have to say one disappointment for me this year was the state of the field at the end of the night. I'm sure a lot of people on that field would be the first to tut at pictures of the mess at Reading and Glastonbury. Litter everywhere and lots of glass bottles left dangerously around. No excuses, plenty of bins around the site that were never over flowing.

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2019, 11:59:31 PM »

Have to say one disappointment for me this year was the state of the field at the end of the night. I'm sure a lot of people on that field would be the first to tut at pictures of the mess at Reading and Glastonbury. Litter everywhere and lots of glass bottles left dangerously around. No excuses, plenty of bins around the site that were never over flowing.

why don't they go down the refundable cup route?  if executed properly it makes a heck of a difference, as i'm sure you know Addie.

it'll be fine.......
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2019, 12:28:48 AM »

apologies for the double post.
to lighten the mood.....

quotes of the weekend:
Wendy, is that a mushroom in your hand?  (me)
[on putting up the tents in a field full of cow poo]....'all around my pat' (G)
i've spent all day looking for an erect penguin (me)
[at approx midday] mum, do you want a shot of tequila? (G).  (me) no i f*ucking do not!
[to G via sms] are you coming up to F8, this band will only have a short set?  [reply] yeah we are just playing drinking games with Ed's mum and dad and Jenny has to roll down the hill then we will be there...............
the GoGo wotsits (G) renaming Gogol Bordello
waft wasper (me), new name for a paper hand fan (bought minutes before the winds got up rendering them completely unneccessary)

and i loved the sign at the bottom entrance - camping , glamping, tramping.......etc, best one yet!

and some very wrong cards against humanity!

it'll be fine.......
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2019, 08:48:28 AM »

I am sitting reading all the reviews......thanks everybody but my deep sadness is that I haven’t missed ,Cropredy, when for well over 20 years it was the focus of our summer. Things move on I suppose and we are loving smaller fests and new discoveries. To Cropredy friends ,who I miss, hope to see you down the road somewhere.......
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: