TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 20, 2019, 02:49:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pledge Music  (Read 771 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« on: May 08, 2019, 09:30:08 PM »

Well this is all very unsavoury. Pledge Music heading for administration owing millions to artists and with customers' money unlikely to result in products or refunds.

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/pledgemusic-nearing-bankruptcy-1203206036/

I have supported a number of projects over the years and am currently in the hole for a new Neil Innes album. We'll see what happens with that one.

I'm glad the Tankus The Henge album came out before this happened. They did not need any more bad luck on top of having their tour bus stolen.
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 08:37:30 AM »

A real shame when such a good idea goes wrong. I've supported a number of projects via Pledge Music too and it's been very exciting to feel like a part of proceedings.
Fortunately all my orders from them have been fulfilled, and I have every sympathy for artists and customers who have been left out of pocket by this.

At least Indiegogo and Kickstarter are still up and running - there's a great future in the pledging business model. I'm currently awaiting the new album from Heather Maloney via Kickstarter, which is due mid-June.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 08:48:41 AM »

I'm confused. Where has the money gone? Has someone been siphoning it off?

Confusion will be my epitaph
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 09:37:07 AM »

It looks as if it's been fraudulently siphoned off, or (not wishing to see the worst in people) they've overstretched themselves and bitten off far more than they can chew in terms of orders, campaigns, etc.

Here's a damning response from Jesus Jones via Twitter, who have fallen foul of Pledge Music (pasted from a series of Tweets). Sums it up fairly well :

"FYI - @PledgeMusic is now dead. Everyone who had their money STOLEN, will never see it again. All of us - artists, fans, suppliers - we were all the victims of a crime. It's time those responsible were held to account for their actions. This has been a disgraceful saga of corporate greed, tied to utter disdain for the community which helped to make the site so successful. Their good fortune was built on the backs of people like you and me. They turned round, took our money, and ran. It's high time that they were forced to answer for their fraudulent behaviour. The board members should be named, shamed, and prevented from doing this, ever again. Malcolm Dunbar was the UK CEO, while this fraud was being perpetrated. He has legal questions to answer. Does anyone know where he is ? Paul Barton was UK MD, while fraud was being perpetrated. He jumped ship, and is now gainfully employed elsewhere. It's time he answered the same sorts of questions. These people DO NOT have the luxury of saying "Oh sorry, we stole your money, it's all gone - we've got different jobs now, it's nothing to do with us anymore". All of the artists, fans, and everyone else who had their money STOLEN has an absolute right to demand restitution, and that these people are made to pay for what they did."
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 12:14:31 PM »

I couldn't put it better. No doubt a few board members did very well out it  Angry

What an absolute shower of shite for the poor artists  Sad

Confusion will be my epitaph
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: