TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 22, 2019, 04:03:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vinyl  (Read 1993 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 09:09:09 AM »

Those prices are more in line with what my memory is trying to tell me. That's a great picture btw.

£14-15 quid ? (approx the same with inflation)...It's almost bang on what a new slightly discounted chart vinyl album costs today.

I'm not finding too much new vinyl at that sort of price. £17 - £25 seems nearer the norm for a single album. I am not buying much chart music admittedly.

I was at uni just about the same years as you, Gub, and also buying (and selling) lots of LPs - but almost all secondhand ones - thanks Record Collector in Sheffield, and the Collector's Record Centre (I think it was called) in Guildford!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2019, 10:49:30 AM »

All I know is that I was a poor university student in Cardiff in 1979 and never paid more than £2.99 for an album and that was an expensive purchase. Think I paid nearer £1.99 on average but, as others have said, memory fades!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2019, 11:42:36 AM »

All I know is that I was a poor university student in Cardiff in 1979 and never paid more than £2.99 for an album and that was an expensive purchase. Think I paid nearer £1.99 on average but, as others have said, memory fades!

£3 in 1979 is £15 today.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2019, 01:12:19 PM »

£3 in 1979 is £15 today.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

Looks like I was richer than I felt  Shocked but it’s all relative

Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2019, 02:20:26 PM »

In early 1977 from Woolies (ask your Granddad) I bought Raw Power by Iggy and the Stooges for £1.99, on vinyl. That was a "budget" release, cheaper than most of what was around. I am sure of the price because the sticker is still on the front. I'd never heard anything from it, just bought it on a whim because the band had been written about as an influence on the punk bands and thought I would try it - and at that time there wan't much else to buy, I think The Damned were the only Brits who had released an album, The Clash, Rattus and In The City were a few weeks away.

Anyhow, it was an inspired purchase, and I still think it is one of the two or three best "heavy rock" (if that is your chosen definition) albums I have ever heard.

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2019, 03:10:46 PM »

I buy very little new vinyl, really only things where there isn't CD equivalent, if there's a CD issue I'll always go for that. Price is one factor but mainly because quality control is so poor - that was the main reason why I moved to CD in the 80s and recent experience would indicate that the problem is even worse now than it was back then. Why is it so difficult to produce a flat piece of vinyl? We used to be able to do that but pretty much every album I've bought in recent years has been either warped or dished to some degree. When it comes to the question of sound quality I keep hearing all about the superior warm analogue sound, but the fact is that the vast majority of new vinyl releases are mastered from digital files anyway and sound exactly the same as the CD, but at two or three times the price.

This is why I'm very selective about buying vinyl now.  Though I like the  medium, and still think at its best it is the best, poor quality control and the presence of some digital technology at some stage in the process are big negating factors. Music on Vinyl do use digital files for some of their releases, but that doesn't  seem to degrade the result, and their pressings are well above average.  (I recently bought Anthems in Eden by Shirley and Dolly Collins on MoV and am delighted with it). And of course companies like Mobile Fidelity and Speakers' Corner boast an all analogue product which comes at a premium price. You makes your choice and you pays your money, or not.  Cool
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2019, 03:51:30 PM »

I wandered into the local HMV (yes some still exist) in Chelmsford yesterday and was amazed at the amount of vinyl on sale! It was like the old days with racks of vinyl albums outnumbering the racks of CDs. Only difference was the pricing with single albums ranging between £20 and £30 in the main.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: