TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 20, 2019, 10:46:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Recent" folk-rock bands  (Read 2765 times)
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2019, 01:52:27 PM »

Lehto and Wright are still current - a new album is being recorded.
Phil Perry

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2019, 05:19:17 PM »

Thanks all, only heard of about half of those, so plenty to investigate. And what about my third question - is this another "golden age" of the genre, at least in comparison to the 80's-early '00s. (And I'm talking mainly about English here, because for Celtic the 80's was a golden age, with Runrig, Clannad, Capercaillie etc being at their best.)
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2019, 11:18:00 AM »

Thanks all, only heard of about half of those, so plenty to investigate. And what about my third question - is this another "golden age" of the genre, at least in comparison to the 80's-early '00s. (And I'm talking mainly about English here, because for Celtic the 80's was a golden age, with Runrig, Clannad, Capercaillie etc being at their best.)

Phil , I love crossover bands , Afro Celts, Peatbog Faeries , Jim Moray etc etc and Thrash Folk Bands like Eluvetitia , so genres become very blurred .....and it doesn’t matter .Music is just music
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2019, 12:20:09 PM »

Phil, hardly a golden age I think when so many music venues are closing.
People are used to ‘ free’ music in pubs,  so paying 5/10/12 pounds to see someone you don’t know becomes rarer.
There is some wonderful songwriting out there at present, most unnoticed by media / radio.
If it is a golden age then it is that vaguely underground scene of bands / artists surviving by having other income streams(!) and being cottage industries. 3 Daft Monkeys, Ange Hardy, Lucy Ward, Darlingside, Trials of Cato, Banter, Willows, John Palmer Acoustic Band, Merry Hell, Phantom Voices , Chaplin Wickwar, Luke Jackson, ....I could go on....
Phil Perry

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2019, 05:32:23 PM »

Sorry, as a civil servant I can't help categorising - it just comes naturally  Smiley ….. but, yes, certainly if it is a golden age, that would only be for us enthusiasts in the know and not for the poor musicians & venue promoters trying to make a living. A golden age for festivals perhaps ...
paul bond 59

Loc: Yorkhire

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2019, 10:19:50 AM »

I can thoroughly recommend Crooked Weather, both studio & live.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2019, 11:40:00 AM »

Has anyone else see The Noble Jacks? These guys know how to rock a joint.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2019, 01:56:40 PM »

Has anyone else see The Noble Jacks? These guys know how to rock a joint.

I have, 2 or 3 years ago. Quite good fun.
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2019, 05:05:53 PM »

I am immensely fond of The Leylines - although they describe  themselves as "Not quite folk" , I certainly put them in the same category as folk rock, fiddle driven great energy  - however  they play only their original songs and don't  electrify-up old folk songs like Steeleye Span or Bellowhead etc do.  Their new 2nd album Recover Reveal  is a cracker  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: