TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:50:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cassettes  (Read 129371 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #260 on: January 23, 2021, 04:23:43 PM »

Is that the cassette version of a white label?

Nope...it's a second 'pressing' (wrong word, release?) cassette (I've never seen a first)...there's quite a few Island pinks that use the same format.

I once had a cassette of Five Leaves Left that looked like this. I think it was the first Nick Drake thing I bought. Eventually gave it away when I got a vinyl boxed set.

I'd humbly suggest you shouldn't have  Wink Grin  https://www.discogs.com/Nick-Drake-Five-Leaves-Left/release/10513630

Thanks for the link. I've let a few later to be valuable albums go at various times David. Im philosophical now. I think people mean stoical when they say that.

And I still have my Island Nick  Drake vinyl boxed set,  which must be worth a penny or 2    Smiley
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #261 on: January 23, 2021, 04:26:49 PM »

Thanks for the link. I've let a few later to be valuable albums go at various times David. Im philosophical now. I think people mean stoical when they say that.

I'm sure I can beat you on that score: Throbbing Gristle box sets of cassettes which sell for around $5k these days, sold for £100, and don't even get me started on the Spriguns albums....  Aaaaargh!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #262 on: January 23, 2021, 04:33:35 PM »

I'm sure I can beat you on that score: Throbbing Gristle box sets of cassettes which sell for around $5k these days, sold for £100, and don't even get me started on the Spriguns albums....  Aaaaargh!

Cripes You mean you have one or you used to ?
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #263 on: September 19, 2021, 09:27:11 AM »

Leafing through the new issue of Mojo yesterday I noticed that amongst the formats being made available for a new reissue of Nancy Sinatra's Boots album is 8 Track Cartridge!  Shocked

We have truly crossed the rubicon.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #264 on: September 19, 2021, 09:47:20 AM »

Leafing through the new issue of Mojo yesterday I noticed that amongst the formats being made available for a new reissue of Nancy Sinatra's Boots album is 8 Track Cartridge!  Shocked

I saw this in Record Collector.  I did LOL  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #265 on: September 19, 2021, 10:03:34 AM »

Nah. That was crossed when Jon Boden released a wax cylinder version of Last Mile Home.

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #266 on: November 21, 2021, 03:07:55 PM »

I see that the new Elbow album is being released on vinyl, CD and cassette. They're all at it!

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #267 on: November 21, 2021, 04:24:40 PM »

I see that the new Elbow album is being released on vinyl, CD and cassette. They're all at it!

I've got quite a large collection of newly released cassettes these days...if I want to chuck some money at the artist I buy the cassette and then generally stream the album.  Most of them are still sealed.  Be worth a fortune one day.  At least that's what I'm telling my new Grandson  Wink Grin

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #268 on: September 08, 2022, 10:42:57 AM »

I thought David and other cassette nerds would appreciate this exchange from Twitter about the cassette for Close to the Edge by Yes...

* Yes tape.jpg (99.17 KB, 500x975 - viewed 582 times.)

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #269 on: September 08, 2022, 11:42:49 AM »

Excellent...yes, I've got a few of them!  Kind of a ridiculous system as they don't stay put at all.  It was informative to me as well in realising that in the US particularly they also started printing on cassettes a whole heap earlier (early 70's certainly, possibly even earlier - '71 I can certainly prove) as opposed to exclusively using paper labels.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #270 on: November 05, 2022, 12:22:29 AM »

Our new (20-year-old) car has a cassette player and a friend gave Wendy a shopping-bag full of cassettes. All well and good. Lots of "Just A Minute!".

Then I thought it might be an idea to record some albums post 1980 onto some of them.

Ideally what I'd like is a cassette recorder I can connect to my PC (USB, preferably) but some searching has led me nowhere. Does such a thing exist?  

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #271 on: November 05, 2022, 02:34:26 AM »

I bought one a few years ago in Aldl. Great intentions but never used it .. not sure if they still do them but they do exist. PM me if you want the details

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #272 on: November 05, 2022, 08:10:17 AM »

Our new (20-year-old) car has a cassette player and a friend gave Wendy a shopping-bag full of cassettes. All well and good. Lots of "Just A Minute!".

Then I thought it might be an idea to record some albums post 1980 onto some of them.

Ideally what I'd like is a cassette recorder I can connect to my PC (USB, preferably) but some searching has led me nowhere. Does such a thing exist?  

There are several on Amazon  at a quick glance...who knows what the quality is. E.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cassette-Converter-directly-Computer-Dedicated/dp/B076PFJKRJ/ref=asc_df_B076PFJKRJ/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310879851560&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5091253960326218775&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=20342&hvtargid=pla-566340717046&psc=1
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #273 on: November 05, 2022, 08:36:36 AM »

Thanks, Lubiloo, I saw those. they are players, used to convert from cassette to digital as far as I can tell.

What I want to be able to do is record cassettes from USB.

Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #274 on: November 05, 2022, 09:03:37 AM »

Thanks, Lubiloo, I saw those. they are players, used to convert from cassette to digital as far as I can tell.

What I want to be able to do is record cassettes from USB.

Ah.....a subtle difference ....too subtle for the non techno-minded such as moi  Grin
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #275 on: November 05, 2022, 10:23:08 AM »

Andy Can you not just connect it up via the headphone mini jack connection via a cable mini jack to what ever input is  on your cassette recorder? I have used that method on my tascam 4 track tape recorder a couple of times with mp3's of some band stuf to rehears against at home.

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #276 on: November 05, 2022, 01:50:18 PM »

Andy Can you not just connect it up via the headphone mini jack connection via a cable mini jack to what ever input is  on your cassette recorder? I have used that method on my tascam 4 track tape recorder a couple of times with mp3's of some band stuf to rehears against at home.
I don't have a cassette recorder of any sort, haven't for years.

Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #277 on: November 11, 2022, 09:27:12 PM »

I have digitized many cassettes. I just connected my a standard cassette machine to a standard hifi amp (a few quid from Ebay) and then used to line out (rec)  from the amp to my line/mic input on the PC. Any recording software will then take care of the digitizing. Many use Audacity (free), I use someting cheap, but makes track naming easier. It works well, I can make MP3 recordings relatively easily and then burn CDs or just make a playlist and add to my Itunes library.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #278 on: November 12, 2022, 12:13:58 AM »

I have digitized many cassettes. I just connected my a standard cassette machine to a standard hifi amp (a few quid from Ebay) and then used to line out (rec)  from the amp to my line/mic input on the PC. Any recording software will then take care of the digitizing. Many use Audacity (free), I use someting cheap, but makes track naming easier. It works well, I can make MP3 recordings relatively easily and then burn CDs or just make a playlist and add to my Itunes library.
But I want to record cassettes

Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #279 on: November 12, 2022, 05:37:00 AM »

But I want to record cassettes

You want to record music which you have in digital format ONTO the cassettes so that you can play them in the car, yes?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: