TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:59:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cassettes  (Read 127676 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #200 on: June 16, 2020, 07:18:34 PM »

Note to self: people tell untruths about cassettes on eBay and Discogs.  They say they've tested it - but they haven't, what they mean is they've had a look and superficially it looks in great condition.  But if a tape hasn't got a pressure pad in it, it simply won't play so they certainly haven't played it (or if they did that play caused the pressure pad to drop out and they'd have known about that).

In future I'm making it a golden rule to ask everybody I purchase from the specific question: Is the pressure pad in place?  If it isn't - I might still buy it, but at least I won't be disappointed (Two nice Island pinks arrived today - RT (guitar, vocal), and Sandy's Rendezvous.  Two different sellers, identical issue with both.  Oh, and two very different responses too...

Did you get refunds okay?

I got the offer of a refund from a very nice seller.  The other one was exceedingly dismissive and suggested the fault on the cassette was somehow mine.  I do know how to replace pressure pads, so I think I'll probably keep them tbh, but you live and learn.

The problem with replacing the pads is that so many prerecorded tape cases were glued together rather than using screws which makes them hard to take apart without damaging them.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2020, 07:24:15 PM »

The problem with replacing the pads is that so many prerecorded tape cases were glued together rather than using screws which makes them hard to take apart without damaging them.

Indeed.  This is literally just the pad though, not the bit (don't know the technical term) that the pad sits on that you need to separate the cassette to fix.  In theory (and occasionally practice!) it is possible to glue the pad back on with the tape still in one piece.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #202 on: June 16, 2020, 07:33:41 PM »

Not bought anything from Ebay in a number of years, it's a den of thieves I'll stick to Amazon.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #203 on: June 17, 2020, 08:44:37 AM »

Indeed.  This is literally just the pad though, not the bit (don't know the technical term) that the pad sits on that you need to separate the cassette to fix.  In theory (and occasionally practice!) it is possible to glue the pad back on with the tape still in one piece.

Back in the days when this was important (I wanted to actually play the cassette regularly Smiley) I used to bust open the knackered original shell, and transfer the tape reels to a surrogate blank cassette shell which usually had a far better mechanism than the original I'd just sacrificed.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #204 on: June 17, 2020, 09:05:37 AM »

Note to self: people tell untruths about cassettes on eBay and Discogs.  They say they've tested it - but they haven't, what they mean is they've had a look and superficially it looks in great condition.  But if a tape hasn't got a pressure pad in it, it simply won't play so they certainly haven't played it (or if they did that play caused the pressure pad to drop out and they'd have known about that).

In future I'm making it a golden rule to ask everybody I purchase from the specific question: Is the pressure pad in place?  If it isn't - I might still buy it, but at least I won't be disappointed (Two nice Island pinks arrived today - RT (guitar, vocal), and Sandy's Rendezvous.  Two different sellers, identical issue with both.  Oh, and two very different responses too...

Did you get refunds okay?

I got the offer of a refund from a very nice seller.  The other one was exceedingly dismissive and suggested the fault on the cassette was somehow mine.  I do know how to replace pressure pads, so I think I'll probably keep them tbh, but you live and learn.

I think anyone who is selling a cassette ought to know it's no good without the pressure pads. Being rude to you might have been another way of being disingenuous.  I'm impressed that you know how to replace pressure pads though. I wouldn't know how to do this.
mightyglydd
An electric train freak should have no problems

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #205 on: June 17, 2020, 03:15:52 PM »

Get a pad off another casette, carefully loop the tape away from the area, use tweezers to crazy glue pad onto the metal 'bar', when dry, wind back tape with a pencil, PITA but done.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #206 on: June 17, 2020, 03:28:23 PM »

Get a pad off another casette, carefully loop the tape away from the area, use tweezers to crazy glue pad onto the metal 'bar', when dry, wind back tape with a pencil, PITA but done.

Yes!  That is indeed the theory.  The practice is often a little different.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
mightyglydd
An electric train freak should have no problems

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #207 on: June 17, 2020, 03:54:03 PM »

Piece of cake once you get the hang of it, way back DJ's used to record 'air scope' tapes on cassettes...the bit where we actually talk.
I have boxes of them and have mended many successfully.
Any ex aeromodeller or electric train freak should have no problems. Smiley
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #208 on: June 17, 2020, 04:03:39 PM »

Not bought anything from Ebay in a number of years, it's a den of thieves I'll stick to Amazon.

That's me as well.
Brian Green

« Reply #209 on: June 17, 2020, 04:08:35 PM »

There is an article about cassette tapes on the Discogs homepage at the moment!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #210 on: June 22, 2020, 10:24:17 AM »

Copy of the The Other Boot on eBay at the moment at a decent price (it's not mine)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164255620651?ul_noapp=true

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #211 on: June 22, 2020, 12:07:53 PM »

Digging through a box yesterday, I found a load of NME cassettes including the C81/Rough Trade tape. The others number from NME001 (Dancin’ Master) through to NME032 (Pocket Jukebox 2) complete. Then there were 2 more tapes - numbers NME036 and NME037 (Indie City 1 and 2). Anyone know if this set of 35 cassettes is worth anything...there’s a lot of interesting and rare tracks on these tapes!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #212 on: June 22, 2020, 01:56:44 PM »

Digging through a box yesterday, I found a load of NME cassettes including the C81/Rough Trade tape. The others number from NME001 (Dancin’ Master) through to NME032 (Pocket Jukebox 2) complete. Then there were 2 more tapes - numbers NME036 and NME037 (Indie City 1 and 2). Anyone know if this set of 35 cassettes is worth anything...there’s a lot of interesting and rare tracks on these tapes!

Just work your way through Discogs and eBay and have a look..they're definitely worth something - I suspect there are a few that are more collectable than others... e.g. https://www.discogs.com/Various-Dancin-Master/release/952541

https://www.discogs.com/search/advanced

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #213 on: June 22, 2020, 08:20:11 PM »

Just work your way through Discogs and eBay and have a look..they're definitely worth something - I suspect there are a few that are more collectable than others... e.g. https://www.discogs.com/Various-Dancin-Master/release/952541

Thanks David...I have found that my most valuable cassette in this collection is the first one (C81) which has a price tag of £9.72 😁 Also found a small collection of cassettes from Vox magazine (serial numbers GIVIT1 to GIVIT12)

Born to Run (but not very fast)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #214 on: June 23, 2020, 10:20:01 AM »

Thanks David...I have found that my most valuable cassette in this collection is the first one (C81) which has a price tag of £9.72 😁 Also found a small collection of cassettes from Vox magazine (serial numbers GIVIT1 to GIVIT12)

I have some of those too. First place I ever heard Creep by Radiohead.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #215 on: June 27, 2020, 04:25:32 PM »

My latest "I can't quite believe I've just spent that" purchase

* 20200626_213156 small.jpg (507.71 KB, 1210x1613 - viewed 563 times.)

* 20200626_213320 small.jpg (763.68 KB, 1613x1210 - viewed 497 times.)

Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #216 on: June 27, 2020, 08:38:02 PM »

As I have been digitizing my old casstette tapes and have come across some Gregson and Collister tapes, brand new and unplayed. I picked these up in a sale for no money really, probably 50p each.  I have 2 x A Change in the Weather, 2 x Love is A Stange Hotel (wonderful album) and a copy of the Last Word (one of my favourites)  If you want one or two, message me and they will be yours. Obviously first ask, first gets....  
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #217 on: June 28, 2020, 12:00:51 AM »

As in lots of money, or hardly any?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #218 on: June 28, 2020, 06:39:55 AM »

As I have been digitizing my old casstette tapes and have come across some Gregson and Collister tapes, brand new and unplayed. I picked these up in a sale for no money really, probably 50p each.  I have 2 x A Change in the Weather, 2 x Love is A Stange Hotel (wonderful album) and a copy of the Last Word (one of my favourites)  If you want one or two, message me and they will be yours. Obviously first ask, first gets....  

Coincidentally Ronaldo have a cassette Change in the weather.  It was given to me a lot of years ago.Thankyou  for reminding me.🙂
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #219 on: June 28, 2020, 08:48:11 AM »

As in lots of money, or hardly any?

Jules

Lots.  They don't come cheap.  I spent £125 on a cassette a couple of months back.  This was £38.  Some people will have their mind boggled by this, but I honestly reckon they're good long term investments.  The £125 one (Dr Strangely Strange - Heavy Petting) costs £500+ (very plus) for an LP in a similar condition and there is (literally) no other copy of it available anywhere.  Even one of the band thought it was a fake, but it's not...(and has been authenticated by the band biographer).

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: