TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:28:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cassettes  (Read 127619 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2020, 01:01:40 PM »

Oh, yes, Brij - and there used to be a song called Pick up the Pieces. I was recording Pick of the Pops (I think) in the dining room, and in the background you can hear someone noisily washing the dishes in the kitchen!
I remember that! Recorded from that massive Sony radio! (Pick Up The Pieces was by Hudson Ford https://youtu.be/GXhwRo3ZSBI great bit of slide guitar!)

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #181 on: May 02, 2020, 04:40:43 PM »

Dan Donnelly has a new band called The Wooden Faces. As an experiment they have recorded their debut album twice, once entirely analogue and once entirely digital. The analogue version is now being released on cassette (with a free download of the digital version). The digital version is also being released as a stand alone download.

I ordered the cassette yesterday, though Dan's record company say they will not be able to dispatch anything until lockdown eases. This will be the first cassette I have bought for about 30 years.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #182 on: May 02, 2020, 05:07:36 PM »

This will be the first cassette I have bought for about 30 years.

Welcome aboard! Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #183 on: May 05, 2020, 02:14:27 PM »

If anybody is interested there is a decent looking original Gottle on eBay (not mine)... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184279143604?ul_noapp=true  Fairly certain the case is much newer.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #184 on: May 05, 2020, 02:29:03 PM »

Just found four Whippersnapper cassettes on-line.

Strangely, despite enjoying them live, I've never owned any of their music. Thought I'd remedy that but  Vinyl and CDs were quite pricey. The tapes were reasonable enough though. Looking forward to them arriving.  Smiley
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #185 on: May 06, 2020, 09:11:51 AM »

Listened to a home made cassette of 3 radio interviews last night, all from the early 2000s:

Bernie Taupin, Arthur Brown, Joan Baez.

:
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #186 on: May 07, 2020, 02:23:24 PM »

I'm rather pleased with this one.  I don't even think it's listed on discogs.  £3 (plus postage).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174266727849?

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #187 on: May 08, 2020, 08:38:31 AM »

I'm rather pleased with this one.  I don't even think it's listed on discogs.  £3 (plus postage).

A favourite album of mine. Have you got something to play it on David?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2020, 10:30:40 AM »

Lol.  These things aren't really for playing - they just 'are'.  I can listen to it on my phone any time I want  Smiley Having said that, I would like an 8-track player....so that I could if I wanted to.

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #189 on: May 08, 2020, 11:02:18 AM »

Lol.  These things aren't really for playing - they just 'are'.  I can listen to it on my phone any time I want  Smiley Having said that, I would like an 8-track player....so that I could if I wanted to.

You could probably find one online. There are actually people out there who used them i hear.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #190 on: May 08, 2020, 01:09:23 PM »

I bought a cassette !

The Sweet Liberty album by Garva that I had that went bad and can't find a replacement for, came up on eBay on tape, and is now mine. It doesn't contain the bonus tracks, but it's a step in the right direction.

Smiley

Well I never did..
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #191 on: May 08, 2020, 03:26:38 PM »

I bought a cassette !

The Sweet Liberty album by Garva that I had that went bad and can't find a replacement for, came up on eBay on tape, and is now mine. It doesn't contain the bonus tracks, but it's a step in the right direction.

Smiley

Garva! Now that's a blast from the past. I've got Sweet Liberty too. It's a good listen.

They were excellent live, the one weekend I saw them (Chester Festival some time in the mid Nineties, I think!).
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #192 on: May 08, 2020, 03:42:47 PM »

I bought a cassette !

Smiley

Garva! Now that's a blast from the past. I've got Sweet Liberty too. It's a good listen.

They were excellent live, the one weekend I saw them (Chester Festival some time in the mid Nineties, I think!).

That's about when I used to see them. The guy that played the low whistle in that band played at Cropredy one year, either with Fairport or Vin Garbutt...the memory eludes me.

Well I never did..
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #193 on: May 08, 2020, 10:29:55 PM »

I have an 8 track player in my car, and a spare in the garage. Can't get them working at the moment. I have loads of tapes to play on them, if I ever get them working.

Paul

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #194 on: May 08, 2020, 10:37:44 PM »

I have an 8 track player in my car, and a spare in the garage. Can't get them working at the moment. I have loads of tapes to play on them, if I ever get them working.

Paul

Several for sale on Ebay, from £30.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #195 on: May 09, 2020, 03:31:37 AM »

Ah 8-Tracks! I don't know about over there, but in my youth whenever you went in someone's car between say the years of 1974-1981 they were always in the floor wells of any car you went into. And it always seemed to be the same ones-Aerosmith, Boston, Eagles, Chicago, Kansas, Journey! We had one at home until I headed off to college, which would have been 1986. I'm not joking when I tell you I still miss that CA-CHUNK sound when switching between programs.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #196 on: June 01, 2020, 01:24:47 PM »

I've just been going through some cassettes I've picked up recently.  Found this with an original sticker.  £11.20 in '88 is worth £30.25 at 2019 prices  Shocked

* IMG_20200601_130536121.jpg (601.37 KB, 3072x4096 - viewed 462 times.)

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2020, 03:36:47 PM »

Note to self: people tell untruths about cassettes on eBay and Discogs.  They say they've tested it - but they haven't, what they mean is they've had a look and superficially it looks in great condition.  But if a tape hasn't got a pressure pad in it, it simply won't play so they certainly haven't played it (or if they did that play caused the pressure pad to drop out and they'd have known about that).

In future I'm making it a golden rule to ask everybody I purchase from the specific question: Is the pressure pad in place?  If it isn't - I might still buy it, but at least I won't be disappointed (Two nice Island pinks arrived today - RT (guitar, vocal), and Sandy's Rendezvous.  Two different sellers, identical issue with both.  Oh, and two very different responses too...

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2020, 06:11:42 PM »

Note to self: people tell untruths about cassettes on eBay and Discogs.  They say they've tested it - but they haven't, what they mean is they've had a look and superficially it looks in great condition.  But if a tape hasn't got a pressure pad in it, it simply won't play so they certainly haven't played it (or if they did that play caused the pressure pad to drop out and they'd have known about that).

In future I'm making it a golden rule to ask everybody I purchase from the specific question: Is the pressure pad in place?  If it isn't - I might still buy it, but at least I won't be disappointed (Two nice Island pinks arrived today - RT (guitar, vocal), and Sandy's Rendezvous.  Two different sellers, identical issue with both.  Oh, and two very different responses too...

Did you get refunds okay?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2020, 07:03:57 PM »

Did you get refunds okay?

I got the offer of a refund from a very nice seller.  The other one was exceedingly dismissive and suggested the fault on the cassette was somehow mine.  I do know how to replace pressure pads, so I think I'll probably keep them tbh, but you live and learn.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: