TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:16:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cassettes  (Read 127677 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2019, 08:38:11 PM »

Definitely a (predominately) bloke thing!  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2019, 02:20:00 PM »

I've just bagged what I believe (but am willing to be corrected) to be the first cassette release of the eponymous Fairport debut on Polydor (914 626) from 1969 which isn't in brilliant condition but will do as a banker until I find a better one.  I've also picked up a '75 reissue on cassette very reasonably and that is mint.  I now have 4 copies of this on cassette, so I'm officially slightly obsessed.  If anyone does have any Fairport cassettes they want to pass on to a loving, if slightly demented, home, then drop me a line  Wink Grin

I have several Fairport (and some related Albions, Steeleye, RT, John Kirkpatrick, etc) but I refuse to part with them (Sorry!). Though they have long been replaced by CD, I still like holding on to them. Actually, I take that back-I have 3 Whippersnapper cassettes that still get regular plays as I never managed to get CD versions of them, and I believe one of those-These Foolish Strings was never released digitally though I am happy to be corrected!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2019, 04:37:34 PM »

Definitely a (predominately) bloke thing!  Grin

I have met a woman with the completist collecting gene, but you're right - they're few and far between!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2019, 06:42:38 PM »

I have the cassette version of Fairport's The Boot, if anyone's after it.  I have the CD, so don't need the tape anymore.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2019, 07:48:16 PM »

"If you really mean it, it all comes round again …"  Never was a truer word written or sung.  Smiley   OK, if you want folk-rock obscurity on cassette, how about The JSD Band (the acoustic comeback one), Ashley Reed & the Savage Rabbits or Swarbrick & Nicol's In the Club (signed) !

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2019, 09:17:48 AM »

The only fairport album I have in cassette format is farewell farewell. ( RGF label). I bought it at a time when CD was still a new thing and the price difference against cassette was noticeable.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2019, 01:39:45 PM »

OK, if you want folk-rock obscurity on cassette, how about The JSD Band (the acoustic comeback one), Ashley Reed & the Savage Rabbits or Swarbrick & Nicol's In the Club (signed) !

I certainly do!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2019, 04:56:58 PM »

They're all at it... https://store.thewho.com/*/*/WHO-Cassette/690C0000000

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2019, 09:01:30 AM »

They're all at it... https://store.thewho.com/*/*/WHO-Cassette/690C0000000

Yes, I noticed that. The vinyl renaissance is one thing but I am finding the rebirth of cassettes a little bizarre. It is fetishism pure and simple which cannot be justified on grounds of sound quality or convenience.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2019, 11:04:13 AM »

Cassettes were a convenient recording medium, replacing the incredibly cumbersome (but technically superior) reel-to-reel machines.

However, their convenience was outweighed by their tendency to stretch and break, decorating roadsides throughout the 70s and 80s.

The idea that anyone would want to use them now that digital recording is easily available is just ridiculous.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2019, 11:19:36 AM »

Cassettes were a convenient recording medium, replacing the incredibly cumbersome (but technically superior) reel-to-reel machines.

However, their convenience was outweighed by their tendency to stretch and break, decorating roadsides throughout the 70s and 80s.

The idea that anyone would want to use them now that digital recording is easily available is just ridiculous.

I think that mab be the point. I don't think anyone wants to use them. They just want to have them. If this arks some sort of tide turning back towards people wantingsome sort of physical manifestation of their music to enjoy the artwork (by Peter Blake in this case), sleevenotes etc then I am all for it by why cassettes? I have no idea.

When is the great mini disc comeback? I still have a working player.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2019, 11:33:35 AM »

I can't help but agree.  Also: hiss; wow and flutter; dropouts.  If MP3s are the sonic compromise of the digital age, then cassettes were the same for the analogue age.

Jules

StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2019, 03:08:40 PM »

Maybe this whole thread's been a wind-up? 😊🤐

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2019, 05:32:06 PM »

That moment when you just know you're doing the right thing.  Your collective bafflement pleases me no end...  Wink Smiley Grin

It really is very simple...the cassette was my first musical format, and most of my early musical memories came from them...so...fetishism?  Yeah, of course...but don't tell me that LPs or CDs are any less fetishistic.  That really would be a nonsensical argument...

Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2019, 06:19:31 PM »

That moment when you just know you're doing the right thing.  Your collective bafflement pleases me no end...  Wink Smiley Grin

It really is very simple...the cassette was my first musical format, and most of my early musical memories came from them...so...fetishism?  Yeah, of course...but don't tell me that LPs or CDs are any less fetishistic.  .......

No, but at least they work if you look after them  Grin
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2019, 06:31:51 PM »

It really is very simple...the cassette was my first musical format, and most of my early musical memories came from them...so...fetishism?  Yeah, of course...but don't tell me that LPs or CDs are any less fetishistic.  .......

I've got far more knackered vinyls (I realise that word doesn't exist, but its persistent use these days amuses me no end) and CDs than cassettes.  And, anyway, cassettes work perfectly for ever if you never have any intention of playing them....  Grin

Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2019, 06:39:14 PM »

I've got far more knackered vinyls (I realise that word doesn't exist, but its persistent use these days amuses me no end) and CDs than cassettes.  And, anyway, cassettes work perfectly for ever if you never have any intention of playing them....  Grin

Ha ha, I was just winding up the cassette-man.  Wink
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2019, 10:13:58 PM »

Maybe cassettes are God’s way of telling you that you have too much money....   Grin Grin

(apologies to Robin Williams)

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2019, 06:31:14 AM »

Maybe cassettes are God’s way of telling you that you have too much money....   Grin Grin

(apologies to Robin Williams)

"Better for you than cocaine".  I'm getting the t-shirt....

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2019, 01:56:46 PM »

I've got far more knackered vinyl

Same.  Fair point, well made.

Jules

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
  Print