TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:01:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Bargain Bin  (Read 128041 times)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2019, 09:24:07 PM »

Last week, in USA... Hendrix @ Woodstock for $5 (new) in a Walmart (!), and 2 CDs @ 50c each (!!) from a thrift store in Moab: Herbie Hancock "Dis is da drum" and Dubtribe Soundsystem "Bryant Street". Only managed to listen to the first few tracks of Herbie so far, fair to say a bit of a curate's egg - some nice jazz/funk but a couple of iffy raps - by guests, not Herbie!

Flobbadob!
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2019, 08:44:09 AM »

Anyone fancy some Fleetwood Mac at a bargain price?
http://bit.ly/30MZ0mo

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
JohnP69

« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2019, 08:08:42 PM »

Judee Sills' debut lp, Ronnie Lane/Pete Townshend "Rough Mix" and Ian Matthews autobiography

Both lps original vinyl pressings in excellent condition

All £1 each from Scope charity shop in Sheffield
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2019, 09:16:21 PM »

Judee Sills' debut lp, Ronnie Lane/Pete Townshend "Rough Mix" and Ian Matthews autobiography

Good haul, that!  Is Iain's book one of the rarer unsigned versions?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
JohnP69

« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2019, 08:12:42 PM »

Good haul, that!  Is Iain's book one of the rarer unsigned versions?

Indeed it is David!!
Peter Allen

« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2019, 01:24:52 PM »

My local HMV in Hull  reduced their last pink vinyl "Unhalfbricking" to £9.99 late last week , certainly a better price than their £22.99
Worth checking the stores as they seem to have quite a few reductions on , presumably to clear space for big sellers in the run up to Christmas.
Or are they in trouble again , hope not
JohnP69

« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2019, 05:14:01 PM »

My local HMV in Hull  reduced their last pink vinyl "Unhalfbricking" to £9.99 late last week , certainly a better price than their £22.99
Worth checking the stores as they seem to have quite a few reductions on , presumably to clear space for big sellers in the run up to Christmas.

Most of the HMV stores have a few copies of "Unhalfbricking" on pink vinyl for that price. I was off work last week and it could be picked up in Leeds (which I did!),Lincoln,Doncaster or York.

It's not a bad sale as I also got the Rolling Stones "Rock And Roll Circus" triple vinyl,reduced from £57.99 to £24.99!
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2019, 06:26:42 PM »

A couple of purchases from my local HMV though neither of them bargains as they're new releases -

The Steve How Trio - New Frontier (with 3 tracks written by Steve and Bill Bruford)

Kathryn Tickell and the Darkening - Hollowbone

As it says at the end of this review https://frootsmag.com/hollowbone-kathryn-tickell-the-darkening

Whatever you might have expected from a new Tickell album, this probably isn’t it. It may even turn off some longstanding fans… but it deserves to attract a lot of new ones too.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2019, 09:14:30 AM »

I noticed they had copies in my local HMV too. I think it might be a sign of the failure of World Album Day as much as of the store. I have a nice black reissue from a year or 2 back so the pink LP didnt tempt me.  Cool
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 09:17:33 AM by Andy » Logged
JohnP69

« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2019, 02:43:19 PM »

Ashley Hutchings - The Guv'nor And The Rise Of Folk Rock book by Brian Hinton and Geoff Wall

£1 from the local hospice shop
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2019, 02:47:42 PM »

Ashley Hutchings - The Guv'nor And The Rise Of Folk Rock book by Brian Hinton and Geoff Wall

£1 from the local hospice shop

Hard to find for under £20, that...you did well Smiley  Sadly the hospice shop didn't!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2019, 09:09:21 AM »

Sealed copy of Peter Knight and John Spiers' Well Met for £2.50 in my local Oxfam.  Result!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2019, 09:45:23 AM »

Sealed copy of Peter Knight and John Spiers' Well Met for £2.50 in my local Oxfam.  Result!
Who on earth put that there?  Shocked If it's sealed it's not like they got home, listened to it and didn't enjoy it so passed it on! Unless they had two copies, of course....

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2019, 10:46:10 AM »

Who on earth put that there?  Shocked If it's sealed it's not like they got home, listened to it and didn't enjoy it so passed it on! Unless they had two copies, of course....

I suppose they might have bought it on Amazon, got an Autorip version, and never opened the actual CD?  But yes, I did wonder!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2019, 11:23:13 AM »

Nah...I suspect they'll be review copies that never got reviewed.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2019, 07:00:37 AM »

No idea what this has previously cost, but this is a bargain, surely?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Forever-Changes-50th-Anniversary-Love/dp/B079JPP1QC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1J25YTEMYZSGW&keywords=love+forever+changes+50th+anniversary+edition&qid=1573541986&s=music&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sprefix=love+for%2Cpopular%2C148&sr=1-1

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2019, 08:41:53 AM »

Seven discs for £7.40? That's a bargain. Includes Sons of Champlin & NRPS sets. Lots of cheap copies on Ebay too.  Smiley

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Winterland-New-Years-Eve-1972/dp/B06XWYCGYT

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2020, 03:23:29 PM »

Nice little charity shop/market haul in Bridport this morning... Camel - Snow Goose (+extras), Fleetwood Mac - 50 Year's Don't stop 3 CD comp (sealed), Penguin Cafe Orchestra Concert Programme 2 CD (£3 in total); Yes Speak 35 2 DVD comp (£1.50); Patrick Humphries Richard Thompson Strange Affair (£4)...oh, and a rather more expensive (but still well under half it's actual value) New Naturalist.  Plus more coffee and GF cake than any man can truly want.  I do like Bridport.

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2020, 06:40:01 PM »

Nice little charity shop/market haul in Bridport this morning... Camel - Snow Goose (+extras), Fleetwood Mac - 50 Year's Don't stop 3 CD comp (sealed), Penguin Cafe Orchestra Concert Programme 2 CD (£3 in total); Yes Speak 35 2 DVD comp (£1.50); Patrick Humphries Richard Thompson Strange Affair (£4)...oh, and a rather more expensive (but still well under half it's actual value) New Naturalist.  Plus more coffee and GF cake than any man can truly want.  I do like Bridport.

Strangely, I had that Camel CD delivered today too. I bought it on vinyl a while ago, but following recommendations from this here bunch of folk, I've bought that, Mirage and Moonmadness on CD.
My bargain was buying a second hand copy of Dylan's 'Albert Hall' gig online for £2 and getting a nice sealed un-played one.

Well I never did..
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2020, 07:03:15 AM »

Strangely, I had that Camel CD delivered today too. I bought it on vinyl a while ago, but following recommendations from this here bunch of folk, I've bought that, Mirage and Moonmadness on CD.
My bargain was buying a second hand copy of Dylan's 'Albert Hall' gig online for £2 and getting a nice sealed un-played one.

I love those classic Camel albums. Bought Moonmadness on clear vinyl a while ago.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: